Metal detector?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joy Matherne, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Joy Matherne

Joy Matherne Pro life for coins...

Can I get advice on what's a good metal detector to get.

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The man to ask is @paddyman98 ....... I am a casual detector and have a Garrett Ace 300 that I love. It is very affordable, easy to use and I have enjoyed it immensely. Metal Detectors are like anything else. You get what you pay for. But a person entering the hobby probably would be confused by the high end gear that a seasoned guy like @paddyman98 would use. From an entry level guy I would suggest getting headphones and a pin pointer as well. Both accessories will make your detecting time much more enjoyable.

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

What @Randy Abercrombie said.

I just bought and received my Minelab Equinox 800 and Garrett 'Carrot' pinpointer on Saturday. Like you @Joy Matherne this is my first detector. I can't give you any feedback or review yet, but I did a LOT of reading and research before settling on the EQ800. Everything led me to this detector.

My other choice was the Garrett AT Pro. Either one would have been a welcome start to this new hobby.

FYI, I did lean on @paddyman98 for his opinions before I pulled the trigger. He's a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i have the garrett ace 350, was affordable, easy to operate and works just fine for me and my backyard detecting, got a package deal that came with headphones and a hand shovel, got mine here https://www.kellycodetectors.com/ they have a wide selection to look at....

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Fisher F22 is a great begginer metal detector.
    A bit easier to use than the Garrett Ace
    Also found at the Kellyco website.

I highly recommend it
    Capture+_2020-04-02-09-44-29.png

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Mine Lab is excellent but you would need deep pockets to buy one. Ed's suggestion of the Fisher is much better at the entry level and will get the job done as will a Garrett. I have an old school Tesoro tonal model that serves me well as well as my original Bounty Hunter tonal with a VU meter from 1978 that still works well. A pin pointer is highly recommended and will save a lot of time from digging bigger holes than you need to. If you have a pawn shop nearby, check to see if they have any. People often get rid of older models that work perfectly fine simply because they want to upgrade or are pressed for cash. Also, do not forget to pick up a small spade and a small garden cultivator to scratch around in the dirt you dig up and a belt sheath for the pin pointer. And lastly, something to carry your treasure back with you like a belt pack/fanny pack. Also, always ask for permission to dig, learn your local ordinances about digging and always leave your dig site the same or as close to as you found it.

Joy Matherne likes this.
  8. Joy Matherne

Joy Matherne Pro life for coins...

I have two bounty hunters but I think I need to up grade

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So get the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800
    About $800.00

Or the Minelab CTX3030
    Which is what I use.. $2500.00.. Expensive!
    Message_1578150542914.jpg Capture+_2017-01-19-13-36-13.png

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted