Metal detector finds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Richard gladfelter, May 3, 2018.

1. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

I went out yesterday and found my first chain,it has a stamp 14k but it's not gold,it has no other marks on it at all.I'm going to post it in a little bit with all the rest of what I found.i had a good day at the park.

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Richard gladfelter

20180615_190345.jpg I went to a different place today.Ali
    Of mulch and pea gravel. I find if I'm in mulch the coins are cleaner.and you really don't have to dig that Much:happy:. The big quarter I found laying on the path to the playground. The necklace has a stamp the says14k but it's not what is it. How can I tell ifit's silver or what. And the 2007 chuckycheese token. I'm satisfied with what I got,now I can go back and really hit it hard.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I have found a couple of things that were stamped 14K and were fake brass.
    I would have the chain tested at a buy sell gold place. And, the clasp could be real even if the chain is not, since it is the clasp is stamped. If it was silver it will usually say 925 or STERLING. Homemade pieces sometimes will not be marked, but my GF makes jewelry and usually we can tell. And then we take it to a place that tests it (for free). If it is unmarked.
    It's a sad thing, but often religious pieces that say 14K Italy are fake.

5. Michael K

Here are my fake stamped gold pieces:
    14K.png

Robert91791 likes this.
  6. Richard gladfelter

1529105342136-2033417873.jpg I think it's fake brass,see the brown toning in the bottom of the clasp? I'll take it up to the hold store to see just what it is. Thanks for the advice. How much do they charge to do that? I'm making a trip to my brother house to dig. It's a historic soft right down the road. Buffalo west virginia,alot of Indians and settlers have made it home so I'm hoping for good stuff.he found a barbor quarter on his land so yeah I'm hoping there are more.

Robert91791 likes this.
  7. Michael K

I like it anyway even though it is fake (looks better in hand).
    When I dug it up it was filthy and I couldn't clean it. But my gold guy cleaned it with some nitric acid, and it came out great. My gold guy never charged me
    because they have to test everything to see if it is real or fake before they make an offer. They will say it's fake (if it doesn't react the right color to the acid) or, if they make an offer it's real, but you don't have to sell. I did business with him before, so he has made money off of me and had no problem helping me out a few times.
    You can just say, this is stamped 14K is it real?
    Santafe2.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. Richard gladfelter

That's a sweet piece mike. I can't wait to get back out. How many days a week do you go dig, Because your real good at this I need all the pointers I can get lol.

9. Michael K

I started in June 2016 and I went a lot. But then I refined it and last year I went Sat and Sun. I refined it a little more and this year I basically just go Sunday. But sometimes I will hit a spot or 2 on Sat.
    I did a little in Colorado in the mid-late 90's. I did OK but not great.
    When my machine gave out, I figured I wouldn't do it any more. But I am having better luck and more fun out here.

Richard gladfelter likes this.
  10. Michael K

I tried a number of ways to clean it but it was just nasty. I know real gold doesn't generally tarnish like that, and when you clean it, it shines right up. So I knew it was fake, but he tested it anyway, and cleaned it up. He cleaned up the other fake I found (bracelet). The nitric acid is expensive and corrosive. A lot of things I thought were real, were fakes. And a lot of things I thought were fakes, were real. Takes experience and education.
    Untitled.png bracelet.png

11. Richard gladfelter

See,I love in a small town that doesn't have alot of places to go. The police stop me from digging alot.

12. Michael K

Sad swag. 3 medallions. Meh.
    FOR GOD AND LIBERTY. TODAY YOU WILL BE IN PARADISE.
    005.JPG 3m4.png

13. Richard gladfelter

Sweet,is that a piece of eight? I'm going today,I hope I have half the luck you do.

14. Michael K

I think it's a game piece, some fake pirate treasure.
    The Latin motto translates loosely to: For God and Liberty, and
    Today you will be in paradise. This was a weak hunt.

15. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

Total from the playground and volleyball court I got $3.77, found an impact drill bit, my first ring(fake), matchbox car and a piece of a toy.

Richard gladfelter and Michael K like this.
  16. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

This little girl was telling me that this guy was going to go to the volleyball court, but didn't get to it, so I said I was going to go there first :p

Richard gladfelter and Michael K like this.
  17. Richard gladfelter

20180622_182454.jpg View attachment 790628 This is the first big coin I've found and it's really cool.
    It's actually a $1 token from the 1962 Seattle World Fair. There are two varieties to this token this is the extra line variety you can see it cutting through the top of the Pavilion. I was digging a park that had chewed up tire for the mulch around the swings and slides. I guess one of the children has got a hold of their fathers token and lost it. These sell for around $7.00 or so but like everything else it will go in the blackhole of a collection.

18. Richard gladfelter

19. Richard gladfelter

20180622_182517.jpg something happened to my second picture but I fixed it.HH!

20. Richard gladfelter

15297814426612002060127.jpg I went out for about an hour at the play ground in my complex. Not too bad but i would like to have stayed longer.

21. Michael K

So the hunt was good. The Kennedy half is always a nice score. But I get to one spot and some guy got there just ahead of me and showed me a big silver cross he just dug up. And then the last spot, some guy was working my side of the street, so that was a wrap.
    day264.JPG K2.png

Draft saved Draft deleted