Metal detector finds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Richard gladfelter, May 3, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well I may not do the Brasso. But I had success using lemon juice and salt on a copper bracelet. Although it looks OK right now as is. If people are trying to sell them for $15, I figure it's worth around $10.

Richard gladfelter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

That would be my guess, it's a nice piece regardless.I'm wondering how something so big was donwn there. It's crazy how big dollars get in the ground.

4. Michael K

Must have been kids playing. This was a playground in the park by the swings. I don't think it was in the ground at all. Just under the wood chips.

5. Richard gladfelter

DO you always go to parks,and do you have to dig most of your coins or are they sitting in the grass? like right next to the dirt.

6. Michael K

The ground here is like cement. I have dug many holes, but it's nice and easy when it's just under some wood chips and not all the way in the ground.

7. Michael K

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  8. Michael K

I was trying to find out how many of these medallions were produced.
    The company was Medallic Art Company. Based in NY in the early 20th century. They moved to Connecticut, then to South Dakota, and finally to Nevada in 1997. The company was sold in 2009, renamed Northwest Territorial Mint, and went bankrupt in 2016. Stiffing many bullion buyers.
    The artist of the medallion was Paul Keith. Born 1915 died 2001. He was from Kansas and moved to Taos, NM in 1953. The piece is signed and dated 1969. Right side of the coin on Lindbergh's jacket.
    They also made this piece in .999 silver, as well as the bronze.
    Med7.png

Nathan401 and Richard gladfelter like this.
  9. Michael K

It pays to go early. I was at this site which was a bust, on my way out I picked up the twenty and dug a dime in the same spot. The next spot, I open my car door and there's a quarter on the blacktop.
    day262.JPG

10. Richard gladfelter

:woot::woot::woot: Now that's money in the bank! I just wanted to tell all of my coin talk buddy's, I haven't given up. I've been in the process of moving into a new home and it's been very exhausting. Once I get moved in and settled,I'll be digging and posting. I'll have to dig through your guys stories for now:happy:. I really hope to hear more and I hope evetyone has the richest day ever,HI all.

11. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

Got my first ever wheat penny found metal detecting. Was pretty shocked because it was just a playground and it was really close to the top. It made my whole weekend. IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

12. Michael K

These were all "recent drops". They are out there. 1944, 1944-S, standard 1964
    None of these were in the ground very long.
    recent.png

13. EatYourWheatPennies

I was so surprised though it is like a modern playground.

14. Michael K

I've found gold rings in modern playgrounds. You have to go where people lose stuff.

15. EatYourWheatPennies

Yeah I'm going over to the volleyball court next

16. Michael K

Since June 2016 I have dug up 18,000 things. I just hit 4,000 quarters and 8,000 pennies. I have found more valuable things, but when I was at around 12,000 I found this. I have found a dozen targets that were all similar size and weight, so I knew it was possible. But this is one of my favorites.
    IKE3.png

17. EatYourWheatPennies

18. Richard gladfelter

Mine only beeps too. But with everything I've found I'm at $84.34 and working on a good used michine.

19. Richard gladfelter

Have you found anything cool today.

20. Richard gladfelter

I love this coin,I would love to find a big dollar coin.

21. Michael K

I was lucky to find a lot of small ones. SBA's, Sac's and President coins.
    Halves are tough I have 12 in the last 2 years and 1 from 20+ years ago.
    But the Eisenhower is awesome!
    Happy to be over 7 ounces of silver. Never thought I would get that much.
    I got one large chain, almost 2 ounces (58.4 grams). I figured it was steel when I got it. Then I got it home and saw it was stamped. But still didn't believe it so I looked up the hallmark/ and company to check, and it came back good. Also found a watch I figured was stainless steel. 1 ounce silver. (31.5g)
    So it's out there.
    watch.png

Draft saved Draft deleted