Metal detector finds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Richard gladfelter, May 3, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Milestones
    Now that there is a slow down (pandemic, locked sites) I record all my hunts so I was just browsing over some milestones. Now I get to brag. (J/k I am not a boastful person and no one is more shocked and surprised than I am at the success I have had, when you consider the types of sites I am hunting.) I did it in Colorado in the mid 90's but my results were poor. (Those numbers not added in to these.) And I did it a little out here in 2000/2001 but the brain of my rig was fried and I had to trash it. Even though this is the start of my 7th year, on a linear time line it's 5 1/2 years from June 2016 - Jan 2022. Saturday I found 1 nickel and that made 3000.
    Halves and dollar coins combined I hit 150. Silver and gold combined is 100. I passed 32,000 targets and most of those were 14,000+ pennies. But I am over 5600 dimes and over 7600 quarters and that stuff adds up. It's always a thrill when you pop out a silver ring or a dollar coin. 129 foreign coins, almost 1100 junk jewelry, over 250 miscellaneous, 235 arcade tokens, (and similar), only 64 wheaties. 9 silver coins included in the 100.
    Almost $3000 in cash. Just $57 of that in bills. 16 pieces with fake precious metal stamps. 7 plated. 20 other (tungsten, stainless steel rings and other quality rings that are not made with precious metals.) I've cashed in most of the quarters and all the pennies. I need to dump the nickels and dimes. No fee at my credit union for using their machine. I will be saving the "treasures" halves, dollar coins, silver, gold, and some other pieces I like.
    And of course there have been a number of coins that I have saved, older, or good condition nickels. (30's 40's 50's). 2009 nickels and dimes. A nice off center dime. I thought it was just MAD (misaligned die strike, until I realized the reverse was also off.) A handful of older foreign coins. A couple of nice medallions. Lindbergh and GW Bush, photos in the thread. A number of pennies, memorial cents with terrific luster, a 1960-D large date gold plated, etc. Also a gold plated quarter. It's fun to get out and find things, and it's good exercise. You have to do something. I may be nearing the end and it will be back to the golf course.

Cliff Reuter and Cheech9712 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

How about "planted" metal detector finds? There's an old guy who metal detects the park next to the building that I work in. I usually see him metal detecting at about 5:30 am every few days in the park. So I've collected a bunch of coins (road kill coins and coinstar rejection bin coins) over the past few months now. I tossed them in the sandy area of the park where all the swings and things are, where the old guy metal detects occasionally early in the morning. This should get him motivated.

BEC6BD3D-4D26-4CA5-BBC1-355D00F3946A.jpeg D6FB222E-623A-4396-B22F-5A91C00BC6D5.jpeg 354C835D-5097-486C-A08B-D4AFB45E0C80.jpeg F11A51D6-2026-48EC-9C23-A58CC1FAC486.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  4. Michael K

I almost didn't go today and had the best hunt in a long time. Dollar coin, silver St. Michael medallion, and then a spot that has been locked forever was open for construction, and that was a good spot. A couple of small spills also. 5 pesos 1977. Having trouble with my camera.
    423sw.png day423.JPG

5. AidenAlexander

AidenAlexander Well-Known Member

Old sardines? Our Only exciting find today.
    image.jpg This made me laugh:D

6. Michael K

Recently I had a hunt where I pulled 3 silvers. While this ring was stamped 925 I was convinced it was fake, GF thought it was real. NBD we would just get it tested the next time she went to the silver place. But there's no need. While looking at it through my loupe I can see on 2 different edges of the band (shank in ring terminology) that there is missing plating and copper underneath, it's a fake. fake.png

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I was home all day Sunday so I took pictures of all my silver coin finds :snaphappy:..
    20220206_124858(1).jpg 20220206_121834(2).jpg

8. Michael K

VN Paddy, that is awesome. I am working on cashing in my face value clads (right around $3,000) but I am keeping the gold, silver, silver coins, (tungsten rings etc.), dollar coins and halves. I think I have my camera issue worked out.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  9. Michael K

Well this was very interesting. I just slammed $100 in quarters into the Walmart self serve. There were a number of rusty ones it kicked back but I just kept putting them back in, in the middle of a series of good ones and they took them all. The only 1 out of 400 that they absolutely refused to accept was a perfectly normal 1976 bicentennial. It's not silver, it's not rusted, it's not over or under weight, it's not misshapen. It is absolutely normal in every way. Same size and thickness and weight as all the other ones, not one atom of rust on it. Wouldn't accept it.

10. Michael K

More weird stuff. I go to a diff WM which has a newer and slower coin acceptor, and it took the 1976 no prob. I go to my bank and get 5 rolls of quarters for a W search,
    and they are all brand new 2021-D Wash crossing the Del. So back to Wal Mart. I slam all of them in. Only 10 of 200 were not as described and only 1 of those was W possible.

11. Michael K

This was good considering the spots I was hitting and how much time they had to refill, in the winter, in a pandemic.
    day424.JPG

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  12. Michael K

Good hunt considering I only hit a few spots. Everything is locked and I cat burglared my way in to a few spots. I just went over $3000 recovered. (Not including gold and silver.)
    Cat2.png day425.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  13. Michael K

I have found 125 dollar coins. One 21 years ago and the other 124 from June 2016 to Feb 2022. Posting a few photos of my favorites. Yeah there's no silver, but it's still a dollar coin that's something. My GF has been saying for 6 years: I can't believe how many dollar coins you find. Who even has them, to lose them? And I reply: Well I have them now. The first photo needs no explanation. I have found other objects, medallions, foreign coins that were as large and heavy so I knew it was possible. But I was pleasantly shocked and surprised all three times.
    The next photo is a 2003-P NIFC Sacagawea. 3 million minted. It's easily high AU or low MS. The last photo is an NIFC Native American Dollar, Sequoyah. 2017-D only 1.5 million minted. You have to like that low mintage. I know I do. When I pulled it up I wasn't sure what it was at first, but then I flipped it over and saw Sacagawea on the obverse. Approx. distribution: 3 Ikes, 14 SBA's, 33 SACs, 72 Presidents, 3 NAD's. I don't think I have any low mintage Presidents, but I will double check.
    Ike3.png 2003P.png Seq3.png

14. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

interesting finds

Michael K likes this.
  15. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Very jealous of all these finds. Got a nice Minelab several years ago before realizing the state of Maryland frowns on the use of metal detectors in most places. Found a few coins at the beach, but nothing like what I see here.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Michael K

Penultimate target was the dollar coin, it was so roached, I etched it with lemon juice and salt. MF3.png day426.JPG

17. Michael K

Going through my finds, I found an S mint quarter from Ohio. It is an impaired proof.
    Ohioproof.png

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Was great to hear that. So proud

19. Cheech9712

Could be mine

AidenAlexander likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Wow your killing it with the dimes. Dig deeper!!!! Do you recheck your hole before you cover it up?????

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Get a gumball

Draft saved Draft deleted