Metal Detector finds!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jterry85, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Finally got to go out and use my metal detector for the first time today for a couple of hours. I managed to find lots of trash (which for me means lots and LOTS of expended brass) but I also got to find two coins! (see this does fit in with cointalk!) I found an '88 Washington Quarter and a ?? Jefferson Nickel. I'm hoping that once they dry off from scrubbing I might be able to get the date off the nickel with a rubbing.

If anyone else metal detects post your coin finds! Maybe someone here can show me up! (That'd be pretty hard to do though... $0.30 in clad is pretty darn good! :D)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Heh, looks like the type of haul that I end up with when I go metal detecting. I got into metal detecting because I was interested in finding coins, but I still have not found any coins worth mentioning. I have put together an interesting collection of soda bottles from the 60's-80's (found on ground while metal detecting), old farm implements, and old bullets/balls. But no coins.

Oh ya, and I probably could have filled a 50 gallon drum with all of the trash that I have found, but no coins.

4. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

I find it to be pretty rewarding, the excitement of the hunt and adventure. At the very least I walk away knowing I cleaned up a section of forest and had a good time hiking around and treasure hunting. Plus here in Germany where I am there is a history dating from the US (today) to France (post WW2) German and so on all the way back to the Romans so the potential is amazing! However... there is lots of trash... LOL

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Two hits from about 3 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both 14kt.

Sold the next week for $335, in melt.

which equals out to about 20% of an ounce, or 1/5th of an ounce.

The winter was pretty slow for finds, but, there were a few.

6. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Very nice! I'm just now learning how important it is to research potential sites versus just tromping through the woods, although that can be fun as well.

7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

If I lived in Europe I would be more serious about metal detecting, like you said the potential is amazing. Just not as much history here in the US. Not history involving metal objects anyway.

8. Objective

Objective Junior Member

Amazing gold find. I've got a metal detector but have never got around to using it

9. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

i have had a detector for a few years and have not used it much... I recently bought a new house and so i was on the back porch with my fiancee. I decided to see what i amy find in my backyard. fiancee was not thrilled with the idea and agreed that i could start with one hole. i dug carefully over a hot spot and 8 inchs down i found a 1917 liberty dime I nearly died i was thrilled... more holes tomorrow!!!
    191710.jpg

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

If you come up with a hoard I want to write the article for it. It came out of the ground like that ?

11. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

I just ran it under water and wiped the dirt off.... I will keep you posted :)

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

wow. How could it be under the ground that long without silver tarnish etc.. It was 8 inches under the ground. You have a better photograph?

13. Sully

Sully New Member

You'd be amazed at how well Silver comes out of the ground if it's in fairly low mineralized soil. I've only dug two sivlers so far but both came out of the ground looking like the day they were dropped.

14. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That looks a little more like I'd expect. Wonderful, wonderful find.

16. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Wow, that is amazing that you found Mercs that looked so nice.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Agreed, unless the silver is in salt water, the coins come out as good as the day dropped.

18. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

There are a lot of loose mercs in these parts. There is a park around here that was built on old military base housing (40's-50's). A lot of wheat cents and washington quarters as well. I just have to find them.

19. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

20. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

second day did only yielded a 1917 wheat penny in bad shape... but two holes 2 coins! Ill take it :)

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It might have been the same loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted