Metal detector find...please view this thread...unable to i.d this artifact!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NJM Ancients, May 17, 2013.

1. NJM Ancients

NJM Ancients New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure is this is posted in the proper location, because the owner is not sure how this should be classified,Medallion? Armor Attachment? Carriage
    Emblem or Coat of Arms??? Coin? very doubtful....

Here is a recent metal detector find. The location is the United Kingdom, England.

The approximate location described by the finder/owner : it was found one mile away from Leeds Castle in Kent. Elizabeth the 1st, Henry the 1st & 2nd and so on and Francis Drake all stayed there.It was found in a field, many 1000's of years ago use to be forest land used for game hunting. It was found in a field near and old bridal walk way and this field was a mile away from Leeds Castle in Maidstone in Kent.

Dimensions : diameter is 39.5 mm - thickness 3.4 mm - weight 17.02 grams. Believed to be made of Pewter & Gold Gilding.

If anyone can help to identify this artifact it is greatly appreciated.The latest news from the finder/owner " at the moment a Portuguese museum are currently in the process of identifying the object/artifact, they want me to bring it to them but its a bit far to drop it off so hopefully they can identify it via photos "

Please view the following pictures, a Negative picture was created to allow for the legend to be read. Unfortunately it baffles many who have viewed this. There are recessed drillings where it seems precious stones/jewels may once have been part of this artifact. As mentioned in this post it seems it is Portuguese in nature but, this is all that is known at this point.

I welcome all comments and discussions.

Thank you in advance for your interest & comments.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Looks like it has been identified on another forum as an ornament copied from an old Portugal or Portuguese India coin.

:)

4. NJM Ancients

NJM Ancients New Member

Hi Willy,

Do you have the link? I wonder if Rudi posted it there!
    The other thing is...How could it be a copy? It hasn't been Identified to any coin...and a museum in Portugal is studying it as we speak and never made a comment to it being a copy of any kind? I think by now it would have been deemed so by the curator if this is the case. Can you send me the link please from the other forum.

5. willieboyd2

Am I allowed to mention another coin forum here?

Google:
    "Possible coin pendant or seal PORTUGUESE"

:)

6. NJM Ancients

NJM Ancients New Member

Willie,

Im not sure about mentioning another coin forum here. I'm pretty much a newbie here and haven't taken the time to read all the rules & regulations.
    You can always send me a message and I will forward you my private email addy.

regards,
    NJM

7. willieboyd2

8. NJM Ancients

NJM Ancients New Member

Thanx Willie...

9. enochian

enochian silver eater

The cross looks like a crusaders cross or jewish cross

Draft saved Draft deleted