Metal Detecting - Video of my best coin spill ever!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Dec 12, 2020.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello everyone,
    Last Sunday I went out with 2 other members of our Metal Detecting Club known as the Dirty Diggin Nuts NYC. I had a great moment when I found a coin spill in a hole.
    6 coins, 3 US Silver and Wheats Cents!

Here is the moment of the find -

There were 2 Standing Liberty Quarters, 1 Barber Dime and 3 Wheat Cents. The last Wheat was in the pile of dirt. It wasn't recorded :facepalm:

I hope you enjoyed my best dig ever! :woot:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

Here is the complete video -

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, those coin spills are magic, ain't they?

I will say that "prying-them-apart bit" with the dig tool made me cringe a bit... ;)

Great vids- thanks for sharing the action!

5. paddyman98

I was excited. I won't do that again!
    Notice how we stated that I didn't yell.. I have a tendency if yelling loud in excitement when I find something neat. It attracts to much attention.. :wacky:

6. lordmarcovan

Oh, I know all about that "getting excited" part.

I didn't yell, but you can hear me get way too excited over a common Barber dime at about 5:30 in this video.

It was a coin I wouldn't look twice at in a coin shop or junk silver lot, but popping it out of the dirt is a whole different experience, y'know?

Yep. You know. You definitely know. ;)

I measure dug finds on a different scale than I do "bought" coins. It's a different point system entirely.

PS- one really shouldn't be rubbing sand off a coin with thumb and finger the way I did there, either... ;)

(I did do it very gently.)

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

That looks like a fun way to get some exercise. I can imagine a kid burying his change in a cardboard box during WWII...and forgetting where he put it.

Can you dig anywhere or do you need to get permission first? That looked like a park. Do you need a permit to dig on government property? Is there a depth limit before you have to call Miss Utility?

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

My grandfather would have just put it in his mouth and cleaned it with his tongue. :yack:

AmishJedi, Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

That's probably a safer technique for the coin(s) involved, though not necessarily for the human!

I've spit-cleaned many a find as it first came out of the dirt, but never popped one in my mouth, as I can recall.

yakpoo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted