Metal detecting Norway

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Leif Erik Johansen, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Leif Erik Johansen

Leif Erik Johansen Well-Known Member

Is it legal for me to make a thread here in general discussion forum about my metal detecting finds here in Norway? Some times I find some great coins and other stuff I like to "show of" outside my own country. A couple of the members has asked me to post it, but I amnot sure if I can. I do not want to break any rules in this great community.

Here is the last silver coin I found on a farm in Kongsberg city. That is about 30-40 min drive from my place in the community of Holmestrand. Holmestrand is about 100 km south of our capital, Oslo. The silver coin is German and is 400 years old. (1619-1622) The value for it here in Norway at that time was 8 shillings

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW !! That's awesome man !! Cool finds mate ! Cheers .:happy::headphone:

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Posting stuff like this in the General Discussion section isn't something that anybody is ever going to be "punished" for doing. But the GD section is for posting about stuff that has nothing to do with coins or numismatics. And only stuff that has nothing to do with it.

So I moved your thread here :)

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Leif Erik Johansen You bet it is 'legal' to post this in the GD forum.
    I know I'm excited to see your finds.

Nice coin.

Edit: Or not :happy:

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would be on cloud nine if I had dug up some history like that. I don't care where you post it. I love it!

8. Leif Erik Johansen

So is it okay to do it here then ?

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Of course it is, that's why I moved it here :)

When you click on Coin Chat look at the line right at the top, it says -

Coin Chat
    Please use this section for discussion of numismatic topics that don't fit in other sections.

10. Leif Erik Johansen

I have just started a new thread so you can follow my detecting finds

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

That is one lucky find Leif. A lot of history behind that coin, I would love to know what you discover in your research. Thanks for sharing it. Show us more okay!

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think he was asking if it were legal to have taken the coin.

13. Leif Erik Johansen

I did not think my English was so bad that this was to be misunderstood =)
    I was asking if it was legal to start a thread with and about my detecting finds. I got answers for that and I have started a new thread about that mate. So its okay.

Moderater: Please delete this thread. Tnx

NOS and Kentucky like this.
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting your finds in Norway. How is there a connection with German coins in Norway back in 1619. Was Norway under German rule at that time ?

Leif Erik Johansen likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In this instance your English was better than mine. :)

16. Leif Erik Johansen

Norway have been under Sweden and Danmark way back. Not sure how long back, but know Norway was under Denmark in the 1640 at least. We got our own
    Constitution in 1814, but have our own coins before that

NOS and serafino like this.
  17. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Very nice. Those Russian wire money style 4 Schillings of Bremen Archbishop Johann Friedrich von Holstein-Gottorp are intriguing. Were they struck for trade with Russia and ended up being used across the Baltic and Scandinavia ?

NOS and Leif Erik Johansen like this.
  18. Leif Erik Johansen

I am not sure about the history about the silver coin, but at that time I have heard that it was worth 8 shillings (skilling) here at that time. Guess that must have been a couple of days pay at that time?

NOS likes this.
  19. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Your coin has 4 S.L (4 Schilling lybsk, i.e, of Lübeck) on the reverse. According to the website
    https://www.danskmoent.dk ›
    , 4 skilling lybsk svarer til 8 skilling dansk, as you say. I don't know how much that was worth in wages. The Lübeck Knechtordnungen of 1665, 1712 and 1724 laid down that the salary of a brewery apprentice should be 2 Reichstaler p.a., along with 2 pairs of shoes, 2 shirts, 2 kerchiefs and half a sieve of beer from every brew (source: Lohn und Leistung: Lohnformen im Gewerbe, 1450-1900 by Reinhold Reith, found on the internet). I think 2 Reichstaler was equivalent to 96 schilling lybsk, in which case 4 schilling lybsk would amount to 4.17 % of an apprentice's annual salary.

NOS and Leif Erik Johansen like this.
  20. Leif Erik Johansen

Edit info about Norway:
    The kingdom was established in 872 as a merger of many petty kingdoms and has existed continuously for 1,149 years. From 1537 to 1814, Norway was a part of the Kingdom of Denmark–Norway, and from 1814 to 1905, it was in a personal union with the Kingdom of Sweden.

Draft saved Draft deleted