"Metal Detecting" in your backyard is worth it!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -Andy-, Dec 10, 2015.

1. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Today I went in my backyard with a stud-finder.. (now the problem is a stud-finder can find anything solid so plastic, wood, rocks, metal, etc.) So I found lots of pebbles a weird looking plastic thing and all of a sudden... something shiny... a coin?? YES IT'S A COIN AT LAST!!!! :woot: It's covered in dirt.... It's a Jefferson nickel, so nothing older than 1938.... lets carefully take off the dirt with my thumb and.... 1960 nickel, my house was built in 1964-1965 so it may of been dropped by a construction worker!
    The nickel is in great condition but when I tried to take a picture it would focus :(
    So get a metal detector or anything that might work as one and go n' search for old coins. -Andy-

coinzip, NSP, Daniel Jones and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm not sure your nickel return quite justifies the investment in purchasing a detector, but I must admit the stud finder idea impressed me. ;)

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Agreed, Never knew they could be find stuff.

Also, The investment in purchasing a metal detector is endless fun. :)

Markus1959, paddyman98 and -Andy- like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Never knew a stud finder would do that. But your excitement over a 1960 nickel overwhelms me. If you found a dime I wouldn't be able to stand it. :)

-Andy- and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A stud finder can be limited but will work for surface buried items, trouble is it will pick up bottle caps, foil, flip tops, etc. and it might be a back killer unless you mount it on a pole. Cheaper than a full blown detector would be a pin pointer detector.

-Andy- likes this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Does anyone have a sudden need to watch MacGyver right now :watching:

swish513, phankins11, JPeace$ and 2 others like this.
  8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I think I have his VHS right behind the duct tape in my pocket.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    phankins11, tommyc03 and Markus1959 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you were on your hands and knees using the stud finder, I wonder what your neighbors were thinking.:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Chris

tommyc03 and coinman1234 like this.
  10. -Andy-

I love watching MacGyver! It's one of my favorite TV shows!! :)
    I always seem to want to watch an episode though I'm still on the first season.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ya, I still remember the first episode where there's a nuclear meltdown in a mountain facility and Mac choppers in.to save the day.

Wait, now I'm wanting to watch some SG-1 too :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    coinman1234 and tommyc03 like this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I liked him a whole lot better in SG-1. His acting matured a lot from McGyver. Same with Scott Bakula in Star Trek.

13. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Andy,
    Get a Garrett Ace 250(rent one first) as it's a good low end machine to see if you like doing it and be ready to get a pile of junque at first.These find all the actual REAL good stuff just like the big buck units.You'll be posting gold coins here some day if you try hard enough!

green18 likes this.
  14. -Andy-

Does anyone have a really easy, fast, and cheap way to make a metal detector from household items?? I already tried the calculator radio trick but it didn't work

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Call Richard Dean Anderson........... devil.gif

-Andy- likes this.
  16. -Andy-

Good Idea. LOL!! ha ha ha!!! :)

17. -Andy-

"Hi, This is Andy, how do you make a metal detector?"
    Click on the picture/ link thing

Attached Files:

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't care what anyone says, employing a stud finder as a metal detector is numismatic geekery at its very finest. Brilliance. :)

Bet it works better in wet soil.

coinzip likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If you guys haven't watched this show and are fans of MacGyver then find episodes and watch it. It like MacGyver had some backwoods nephews and they took up the torch... oh and by the way, in one episode they did make a metal detector with home appliances and a bamboo frame. Enjoy

http://www.destinationamerica.com/tv-shows/hillbilly-blood/

Draft saved Draft deleted