Metal detecting find

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FoundinTN, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I found this metal detecting this morning. What an awesome score,I found it in the woods at an old water hole where all the kids used to go in the late 40s-50s.
    I dont know anything about it tbh,I think it has some silver content,geat looking shape too.
    Any info or insight would be appreciated,thx
    20191205_095303.jpg 20191205_095324.jpg

Siberian Man and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

Oh nice,I didnt notice it was a proof coin. Wow

5. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

So respectfully it's worth like 7-10 bucks,sweet,I'll take it

6. furryfrog02

Yours isn't a proof. Not sure why that is highlighted. You can get them on ebay for about the melt price.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice find! I know that during WWII, a lot of British pilots had their flight training stateside/southern states. Do you know if any was done in your area perhaps?

8. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

Oh,well.. .poo. Either way,I'm haopy

spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I dont think so,I'm in the oldest town in Tennessee,I know there was an old ww2 hospital near the location but nothing about British flight training.

LA_Geezer and PlanoSteve like this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, the year would be about right. They were flight training both before & during the US's active involvement, & at some discrete locations (Texarkana, for example). So, there may be some hidden history. Perhaps some British flyers were at the hospital...they did have quite a few accidents in training.

11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Probably a souvenir brought back by an American G.I. Anyway here is an excerpt from one of my textbooks about military exercises in Tennessee during the WWII.

62227252-D9D1-4133-8355-820F2883DC8A.jpeg

LA_Geezer likes this.
  12. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

Accidents in flight training i imagine wouldn't land you in the hospital,but in the grave haha. It's a neat coin regardless,a keeper for me

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. furryfrog02

lol i wanna know what the hundreds of prostitutes trolling for lonely soliders faced competi- with :p

spirityoda and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was sorta holding on those words myself....

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

The book is rather brief. I remember a documentary that was shown in class stated that most of those who were trained in Tennessee were sent to the European theater. The reason why Tennessee was chosen for these exercises was that the terrain resembled parts of Germany specifically the Rheinland.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Wow! I used to live in the oldest town in Tennessee, too, and I see that they are celebrating their 200th anniversary this year. We moved to Louisiana 40 years ago this month.

When you consider all the military installations that were up there, it is possible that someone brought that coin back to TN with them years ago.

BTW, this coin appears to have been cleaned, :playful:.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  17. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I sprayed it down and cleaned it with my fingers,anything other than that wasnt my doing

Draft saved Draft deleted