Metal Detecting - Coinstar Time! $$$

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by paddyman98, Jul 9, 2018.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    Finally after almost 8 years of Metal Detecting I have decided to turn in all of my US Coins in for paper CA$H :greedy:

Time to turn this in! 20180707_122125-1.jpg 20180616_141916-1.jpg 20180505_133627_Burst01-1.jpg 20180210_114405-1.jpg 20170902_152528~2.jpg

I decided to start simple. I filled a medium sized velvet bag used for a fishing spinning reel.. My 1st trip to the Coinstar machine got me $162.80 after the service fee -
    received_10216463115394356.jpeg

R_rabbit, gronnh20, dlhill132 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

More to deposit soon! ;)
    20180709_054131.jpg 20180709_054140.jpg

4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Well did you cash in enough to get you a new metal detector I no better but a good start. LOL
    Dave

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I'd never give them $22. I have put over 8000 pennies in the coin acceptor at the grocery buying, OJ or almond milk. I plan on cashing the coins in one day. I have over $1000 in quarters over $320 in dimes $85 in nickels. Keeping all the dollar coins and halves. (And of course gold and silver, since that's my treasure. As well as tungsten rings, etc. Silver coins, wheaties, some well conditioned cents, old nickels, blah blah blah.)
    I could put them in my Credit Union coin counter for no fee.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Cochisz likes this.
  6. paddyman98

I have way more than that!
    I really don't mind the fee, the gold and silver I have found will cover it!.. I'm not rolling these coins up to take to the bank!
    20171223_103440-1.jpg 20171223_103311.jpg 20180101_083853-1.jpg 20171224_135650-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Michael K

Only been doing it since June 2016.
    001a.JPG

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Those fees are killers!

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I agree. I'll go to any bank way before I go to a coinstar machine.

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

What a lot of Silver and Gold. I've got plenty of Silver and Gold, too - Silver in my hair, and Gold in my teeth !!!

11. Michael K

Yes. Agree 100%. My credit union wouldn't charge me a fee for that.

12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

My bank doesn't either.

13. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is how anyone could amass so much change as what is shown in the various pictures above. Unbeknownst to me, my wife had been hoarding cents in one of her drawers UNTIL the weight of all of that change collapsed a drawer. I was charged with repairing the drawer THEN with wrapping up all those pennies; turns out she had more than $240 worth. The bank took them all, but asked that I deposit them rather than ask for paper money for whatever reason.

I was unaware how much the coinstar fee was, but my sentiments are with those who find this a foolish waste of money.

14. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Coinstars have a fee, and they are very inaccurate. Chances are your pour in $10 and get $7. Credit union/bank machines are normally much more accurate and most don't charge a fee.

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Impressive coin counts, y'all! Good work!

I used to use my grubby dug clads for vending or ciggie money, back in the day (a pack of Cavaliers was only 99c back in the 1990s- convenience store clerks loved me when I paid in brown quarters and dimes!)

Wish I had kept a running tally of the "spender" coins for recordkeeping purposes, but I never did.

I never dug as much modern change as y'all do, though. I tended to hunt for older coins, and preferred sites that had less modern traffic and trash. Of course in my park and sidewalk coinshooting, I did find plenty of Zincolns and clad coins and aluminum trash.

Cheech9712 and paddyman98 like this.
  16. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

This is a pretty outlandish claim. I recall a number of years ago some news people conducted detailed experiments with Coinstar machines to assess their accuracy. The producers meticulously hand counted every coin they planned to put into the Coinstar machines. What they found was they were surprisingly accurate with only a one dime or so conflict found in the amount inserted to the amount credited out of thousands of coins that were put in.

In fact, local news reporters conduct these experiments somewhat frequently. Here is one such story: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42926525&nid=148. It was determined that coin counting machines in general are "off 18.5 cents for every $300" that is inserted.

While I have read some horror stories on here about users getting shorted by wildly inaccurate amounts (typically at banks and credit unions), these are typically due to the machines getting jammed or filled up from their dumping massive amounts of coins into the machine at one time. That, or the machines just needed to be cleaned.

17. Larry Salemme

Larry Salemme Active Member

it is fun bringing boxes of change to coin star machine, even though there is the fee, you feel like a king for the day because everyone that passes by the machine usually in a grocery store says hi to you, it makes you feel great, bringing it to a bank is a drag because it just go's into your account, rather have the cash in hand

18. paddyman98

I say it again.. I am a Metal Detectorist!
    I don't care about the fees. I just want my CA$H ;)
    I have plenty of silver and gold to turn in for Cash also which will make up for the fees!
    I have at least $1500.00 in gold! Rings, bracelets and earings!
    20170625_172626.jpg 20180110_181023.jpg

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I guess I'm cheap. I would have rolled them and taken to the bank. 8 years of metal detecting fun and cash to boot.

LA_Geezer and paddyman98 like this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Can you show us the ones you kept. Or is that asking a bit to much. Or hows bout your best find.

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good article. Was wondering about that cuz i just pour them in as fast as the mechine takes them

Draft saved Draft deleted