Metal detecting anyone?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

I live in N.Illinois, don't think there was any fighting around here. These were found a short distance from a training/transition camp. The person losing the Mass. button was a long way from home.

coinman1234 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So what it looks like you found was a souvenir token that they sold at The Barcelona Zoo in Spain where Snowflake was kept. Here is some info from the GuinnessWorldRecords.com website - Quote - "Little Snowflake was a unique male albino western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) who lived at Barcelona Zoo from 1966 until his death from age-related ill health on 24 November 2003. Unlike full albinos, Little Snowflake had blue eyes, suggesting that he was a chinchilla albino, caused by a recessive mutant gene form called chinchilla (also responsible for white tigers)." - Unquote
    Snowflake.jpg

4. paddyman98

I'm confused.. How do you detect glass if your detecting for metal? It's called Metal Detecting not Glass Detecting :wacky: Just bothering you. Nice finds. I'm the opposite. I have founds thousands of coins, tokens, medals and artifacts. I will post a few one day. :wideyed:

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If I find glass then I'm stuck there like a fly on, well you know...LOL

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Wish I had a detector with a number system. These two were at a stoop in an old part of the city. pickin and grinin Top and Button.jpg

tommyc03, coinman1234 and gronnh20 like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Thats interesting It made it from Barcelona to Denver Wish I hadn"t nicked the patina

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. trussell

trussell Active Member

I've been thinking of getting a detector but I'm not sure that there is a lot of area around here to use it. None of the parks allow it which leaves private land. How do you people arrange it with property owners?

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

I usually hit a lot of heavily used paths. looked for buildings being torn down. I have a couple of private areas next to the Tennessee river to hunt this summer on vacation

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

There is a young guy on Youtube that goes by the name nuggetnoggin. He has a lot of great detecting videos and bottle hunts. Check him out!

tommyc03 and coinman1234 like this.
  11. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

An old dump will be full of metal trash such as iron and such so when you dig the signal you may end up seeing glass or bottles, if you see glass you can be pretty sure you are at a dump.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  12. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Does everyone have pinpointers and the detectors? Are there brands to stay away from?

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not everyone does. Mine are both tonal. My old White Bounty Hunter has a V.U. Meter and my Tesoro has only tonal. I bought what I could afford at the time. Most all have a discrimination mode regardless, it just takes practice listening to the tone. It's always best to stay with the best brands though, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett, & Mine Lab ( very pricey but used extensively by our soldiers overseas ). The only one to stay away from for sure is an old Radio Shack brand model, they did not put much effort into their units.

gronnh20 likes this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And that's likely where we will spend the rest of our day. LOL.

coinman1234 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I've tried the direct approach, just walking up and asking, with the detectorist proviso that any holes you dig will be filled in to look like it was never dug and any garbage found will be carted away. This works well with farmers. But I had an incident where I asked and got permission from a second home owner from the city only to have her lawyer show up 15 minutes after we shook hands, to tell me to leave the property asap. You won't always win but do always respect their final decision, it's the law and good common sense.

coinman1234 likes this.
  16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Old stone walls, like coin markers are also an excellent way to metal detect or to find dumps with bottles and other artifacts. using a compass try to find the southern end of the wall as this is most likely where the dump is to be found. It would carry away any odors associated with leftover meats and other organic trash by way of prevailing northern winds. If just looking for bottles, try to find the remains and holes of old out houses. It was a place, when trousers went down, that coins fell out and were lost forever, not to mention, trash was also buried in them as a last layer before the outhouse was moved and the hole filled in.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Here in Denver there is a city that owns the mineral rights. there isnt any metal detecting or gold panning etc. 5000$ fine. I have had a lot of luck with my Bounty hunter. It was the high end model when I bought it. I would love to have a White or a Garrett. I am Cheap it took me a couple of years to pay this one off. metal detecting.jpg emblem.jpg

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

I have always wanted to find some old coins I have found a few silver coins but mostly clad and gaming tokens.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. Timewarp

I hunt construction sites and street/sidewalk tear-ups. Check your local city council meeting notes on the city website for construction news.
    street.JPG DSCF0050 (Small).JPG

tommyc03 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Well How does it Do? I have a few buddies that are in that business.

21. Timewarp

You won't get rich, but occasionally you get a cherry. Depends on what you collect or how much you're into history.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted