Metal detecting anyone?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

metal decting snow flake.jpg snowflake rev.jpg about 8 inches down behind a school

Mario77, dlhill132, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Very cool metal detecting find, interesting medal. I love finding stuff like that, makes me think of the history behind it and such.

I do a little bit of metal detecting myself.

tommyc03 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, I detect.

[in case you can't figure that from my name]

Fun find

tommyc03 and coinman1234 like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

my father went to the school I asked him, he couldn't give me any info

6. Pickin and Grinin

Any cool coins or items show them off!

7. coinman1234

I'll go.

Some of last years finds include: 6 coins dating from 1656-1750 and three US Large Cents, all from before 1839. A bunch of colonial buttons and some shoe buckles. Some other stuff too.

I don't think I will get rich with the hobby but it is certainly the most fun thing I do. Yesterday I got a colonial copper signal at place with the newest coin from 1864, I could not dig due to frozen ground, I marked it and have been dying to go back to dig it.

Attached Files:

8. coinhawk

coinhawk Junior Member

here's a few cool finds from our ranch in Arizona
    the token is the coolest was told it is a minors token

Attached Files:

Gilbert, Mikey Zee, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  9. coinman1234

Really awesome finds, I think the spoon is pretty cool. I also love the formation of the pyrite.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

These were all found while metal detecting. Have not found many coins though. IMG_1437.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1440.JPG

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

12. coinman1234

Gilbert, Mikey Zee, gronnh20 and 4 others like this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's just the one case. I have them all over the place, in the cellar mostly. Just not had the time to photograph them all yet. Yours are awesome also. I've dug from the 1850's on an old farm to the 1960's on my roadside. They are all the place. It was all farm country here so there are dumps everywhere.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. coinman1234

I have only found three dumps, one of them only had one complete bottle. They all date from around the 1890's through circa-1900.

You have got some nice ones Tommy! The variety of different bottles is what makes your collection great. Some really cool ones from the 1800's and other nice looking retro 1950's bottles.

Bottle digging gets very addicting, you always just want to dig "One more bottle".

swamp yankee, Mikey Zee and tommyc03 like this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Too addicting some times. I'll go and go until I'm so sore I can't go. I've been doing this since I was about 14 I think which makes about 46 years. More and more land around here is being bought out by the filthy rich and they are posting signs everywhere. It is getting tougher. I have yet to scope out two CCC camps in the immediate area and an abandoned copper mine and sawmill also. The last two were part of a logging community that just up and left w/o notice in the 1800's after they had stripped all the wood. No one knows what ever happened to them either. maybe this year, I'm not getting any younger.

swamp yankee and coinman1234 like this.
  18. coinman1234

What was once huge well-known public conservation land/hiking trails with a 1740's cellar hole was bought by the government, the trails abandoned and the wood's now slowly being took over to make another huge gated community. A school was built on the land too, from the woods behind the school there ways to get on the old trails though. My friend metal detecting in old woods behind is woods, considered sacred to Native Americans with a 1600's saw mill. Guess what? Sold for development this fall:banghead:

It's best to continue doing the hobby while you can because you never know when people will need more land for development.

swamp yankee and tommyc03 like this.
  19. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

I also detect. Here's a few odds and ends.
    DSCF0017.JPG DSCF0018.JPG MASS.Button.JPG CW Infantry.JPG

20. coinman1234

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Funny you should mention sacred ground. Less than a quarter mile north of me on the edge of a corn field and my road is a huge burial ground mound. I'll have to get a pic. Also as part of our cemetery an Indian burial ground mound also. The river the field is attached to was named after Chief Konkapot. The two fields right next to me have been a treasure trove of arrowheads, although I have never hunted for them. It's a shame about your situation also. Historical Societies can be a good thing but also a real pain. As treasure hunters just looking for coins and bottles we are actually preserving these artifacts in a way no Society can. And we always cart away our debris and cover our tracks. How much more respectful could we be to our local history. Sad.

Mikey Zee and coinman1234 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted