Metal Detecting - 4 US Silver Coins with the Vanquish 440

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I think I was just being over-zealous. We all have our private lives. I do think it would be good to involve myself with someone who has experienced the ins and outs of metal detecting. I think it would give me an advantage over the fact of getting a "late" start. There are a lot of resources available now to help me though, like YouTube and other online social media sites.

Cliff Reuter and lordmarcovan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

A bit far from me, too bad. I'm new to the hobby as well. I'm using a bounty Humter Discovery 3300. While I like finding coins, I am also digging for relics (1600-1800s). Hit or miss at this point. Research will help with the quality and quantity of finds. The current site that I'm digging, house mid-1800s, is producing a few finds, but I have discovered through research that there were three much older structures on the property that you'd never know where there. That is my target for the next few weeks.

Good luck with the hobby - and remember, being retired, it's getting you outdoors and keeping you active - both physically and mentally. Both better than sitting on the couch reading/watching TV.

lordmarcovan and Jeff Callahan like this.
  4. Jeff Callahan

I doubt I've watched an hour of TV in the last year. I enjoy fishing and knife sharpening in the summer months. I imagine that metal detecting will be intertwined in any fishing adventures in the future though.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Jeff Callahan

I recently watched a video about how a guy uses old maps to search for buildings and businesses that are no longer around. I'm sure there are many "Tricks of the Trade" that I am unaware of.

RabbiSchmooley likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Metal detecting is a lot like fishing. Hours of semi-boredom in the Great Outdoors (usually pleasant semi-boredom, unless there's bad weather or biting insects), punctuated by occasional flashes of excitement. And like fishing (but even moreso), you never know what's gonna come up on the end of your line (or in this case, in that hole you dig).

Expect lots and lots of trash and disappointments, but if you stick with it long enough and go to the right sites, you will eventually get some very pleasant surprises as well. Persistence pays off.

I have a few (just a few) dig videos from late in my detecting career on YouTube. Of course you'll want to keep an eye on @paddyman98's work for more current adventures.

There are a sprinkling of a few (again, just a few) of my older stories here. Unfortunately the pinnacle of my detecting career happened before I was ever on the Internet, or carried a camera.

capthank and Jeff Callahan like this.
  7. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

Maps are very useful and can increase you finds dramatically (depending on what you are searching for). Land records are another treasure trove.
    Maybe I'll go out today!

capthank and Jeff Callahan like this.
  8. Jeff Callahan

I have lived at this location for over 25 years now and there was an old house just up the road that was never lived in during that time period. I am not sure exactly how old it was but has since been demolished and a new home has been built there. I wonder if the new occupants would let me look there? I can't wait to get out there!

capthank likes this.
  9. Jeff Callahan

I am really starting to enjoy this site and to appreciate the other members here. Thank you for the link!. I wonder if @paddyman98, since you mentioned him, will have any relevant material to share with me as well. Hint, Hint! LOL

capthank, paddyman98 and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. Jeff Callahan

Lol. Good luck! Let us know if you find anything good.

11. Jeff Callahan

I just finished watching your first "Dirty Video". Thanks again for the link. I think you did an awesome job with the narration details through out the video. It did make me think of one thing I need to do that I am not currently doing. Organizing and recording my finds. I have a few that fall into that category. You probably just saved me some frustration later when I need to dig something out for reference purposes or something. Anyway, I will leave you guys alone. I am sure you have better things to do that to keep coming back to this thread and reading my rants. I probably need to get up from this computer and go do something else for a while anyway.

Thanks again. All of you guys.

RabbiSchmooley and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Good recordkeeping is paramount. You will thank yourself for it later.

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You have peeked my interest in coin collecting. Thanks for the info on the detector, I am going to look into it. Great finds also paddyman.

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

This is what I use it may be old but it works like a champ. 20210110_140117.jpg

Jeff Callahan and Numiser like this.
  15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Has to be lots of relaxing fun but mingled with lots of excitement.

16. Jeff Callahan

I am seeing a lot of these old Garrett branded metal detectors since I inquired about purchasing one. They must be pretty nice too.

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Darn, that's where I lost my house key. Bet it wasn't too deep as I lost it in 2001 when visiting NYC. LOL

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@RabbiSchmooley
    Here is my latest Metal Detecting thread.
    I have dozens of them here on CoinTalk

Jeff Callahan and RabbiSchmooley like this.
  19. RabbiSchmooley

RabbiSchmooley Active Member

Awesome, I will give this a read through. Thanks, you're the best!

Jeff Callahan and paddyman98 like this.
  20. RabbiSchmooley

RabbiSchmooley Active Member

Up here in Maine, according to my dad at least as he is the one that does the metal detecting in my family, we spot old building sites by the size of the trees on the lot, placement of old farm rock walls, and variance in tree growth near the road (you can tell where there may have been a "driveway" or lawn sometimes) among a few other neat tricks but I'm sure there are better ways.

I personally have only gone detecting with him once but I will have to fix that this summer.

21. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

A lot of old square nails and broken colonial ceramic. I only had a couple of hours at the site and may go back in the next couple of days to dig more.

Jeff Callahan and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted