Metal Detecting - 2024 Mid Year Detected Silver Coins Count

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Jun 18, 2024.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello everyone,
    As many of you know I love Metal Detecting and I do my hunts almost every Saturday. I also participate in seeded detecting events and vacation beach detecting outings!

This is to show my totals for Silver Coins detected for the 1st half of 2024

On my personal NYC outings -
    19 US Constitutional Silver Coins
    IMG_20240618_110903867-1.jpg

For the seeded hunt in Rock Hill South Carolina -

34 US Constitutional Silver Coins
    IMG_20240618_111155219-1.jpg

And Silver Coins Prizes - 15 Silver Coins
    PhotoCollageMaker_20240618_063818225.jpg

6 Canada Silver coins
    IMG_20240618_055907161-1.jpg

Stay tuned because there's more to come in the second half of 2024! :woot:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Paddy, that Barber half is sweet.

4. DONTNOMUCH

DONTNOMUCH New Member

Wonderful finds--thanks for posting!

lardan, Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I feel bad for whoever lost that Barber half. Fifty cents in 1908 was something like $15 in today's money. If I drop a $10 bill today, I definitely chase after it.

6. paddyman98

I found a new area this past Saturday in Prospect Park Brooklyn. I've never tried detecting near the edge of one of the lakes they have there. The Barber Half was next to an old tree about 8 inches deep. I imagine someone back then was resting against the tree and didn't notice the loss of their coin.
    This was the spot. The lake is in the foreground.

IMG_20240615_082609222.jpg

lordmarcovan, dwhiz, lardan and 5 others like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice finds @paddyman98 I lost a silver half (Walking Liberty I think) when I was a kid. We were sitting on an old cistern and playing mumblety-peg. Ever play mumblety-peg? I don't think a metal detector would have a chance to find it.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If the second half of 2024 is as good as the first half I look forward to your posts as I’m sure other members do.

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

The Barber Half is truly the winner here! Love the design.
    Maybe they were fishing at the time. That or fishing along with some kissing. lol.gif

lordmarcovan, paddyman98 and lardan like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

One of the coolest detecting videos I saw was an old one that @lordmarcovan posted. He had heard this old tree was where lovers had met back in the day. It was now in the middle of an intersection with a small patch of earth that was surrounded by concrete. He detected that small area and came out with several cool finds.

paddyman98, SensibleSal66 and -jeffB like this.
  11. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

This is so awesome! Great finds. I've been detecting 10+ years and am still waiting for my first silver :hilarious: Slim pickings in terms of old coinage out here in Colorado!

KBBPLL, paddyman98 and lardan like this.
  12. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

That Barber find is quite something. Really impressed with all the Mercury Dimes. and amazing how many are 1944. This is really quite something to me.

13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Paddy, fabulous, as usual, but you mentioned "2024 Mid Year", as if New Year's wasn't just last month, and...wait a sec, I'm being interrupted...o_O

...wait, what???...June 18th????...no way!!! :jawdrop:

Sorry, please disregard my post, except for the "fabulous" part! :D

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@paddyman98 I know you like old knives so here is the small knife I used to play mumblety-peg.
    Kids Old Knife.jpg

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Still no silver dollar,you'll get one eventually.

paddyman98 and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That was a fun day. :)

Not my greatest finds of all time, though some fun goodies did come up. I do think this is probably the best (most detailed) dig video I ever shot, though. I tried to present it like a virtual experience for the viewer.

(Lordy, though- all that video editing was a chore. I never made any other 20+ minute mini-epics. LOL)

Even though this video is eleven years old now, I still enjoy watching it from time to time and reliving the experience. Trash and treasure both, all shown live, in the sequence it was found. It’s a little slice of my old digging life.

17. lordmarcovan

@paddyman98 - where’s the post where you dug that Barber half? That’s awesome! I must have missed that. Bet you were excited! I only dug one Barber half ever: a well worn 1894-O.

BTW, check your private messages over on Collectors Universe. A member over there told me he was trying to reach you. He sent you a PM over on that site.

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Maybe, at the rate he’s going. And since he’s in NYC. Otherwise, I think silver dollars circulated a bit more out West than they did here on the East coast. I do know of one or two being found here in GA by my old detecting mentor.

They're pretty rare as detector finds, simply because they got spotted on the ground much more easily, and picked back up, after they were dropped.

Smaller stuff like half-dimes, three-cent silvers, and dimes, though- those often got dropped and quickly swallowed up by the grass and dirt when people lost them.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. paddyman98

Sometime last year I found a spot in a park in upper Manhattan where I hit several silver coins on my first hunt. I mentioned it to a good friend of mine and I suggested he check out the spot the following weekend since I couldn't go. He went and detected a Morgan Silver Dollar! I totally missed that coin that first day I went.. :(

lordmarcovan and Inspector43 like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

Bet that was a hot signal!

Reminds me of a story I read somewhere (likely in H. Glenn Carson’s classic, Coinshooting) about a fella in the old TR detector days of the late 1960s.

The old TR (transmitter-receiver) detectors of the time (my first detector in 1981 was such a machine) had to be carefully tuned when you turned them on.

This fella used to hunt an older city park (this was out West somewhere.) He’d park his vehicle in the same place every outing, and would proceed directly to a spot where he knew there was a particular hot signal in the ground. He always tested and tuned his machine on this unknown buried object, but never dug it up, because he was certain it was a beer can.

(The more expert old-school TR guys were amazingly skillful at target ID interpretation- by ear alone- decades before the advent of digital ID meters.) So for months if not years, this old fella used the unknown object as a test target every time he went to the park. But he never dug it.

One day he had a novice detectorist along with him. The new guy was intrigued by the loud signal, but the old veteran told him not to get too excited by that, as it was most assuredly an aluminum can.

But the newbie’s curiosity got the best of him. So he dug up the veteran’s longtime “test target/beer can”.

You guessed it. It was a silver dollar.

Even in this era of modern metered machines, you never know… until you dig!

21. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

As a former metal detectorist, I went by the " if in doubt, dig dig dig method!
    Have either of you guys located a target but when digging, couldn't find it?
    Are these the so called " Hot rocks"?

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted