Metal Detecting - 2020 - 2021 Silver Coin Count

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Jan 20, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

NYC requires a permit not a license.
    It's free o_O
    I haven't paid for a permit in 10 years.

I assume all other states are the same proccess.

Scott J likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

i never would have thought about getting a License to metal detect. permission from a land owner, Yes. thanks for that info. another great haul PaddyMan, great job

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Ed, where do you put all of your finds? Aren't you running out of room by now? LOL Maybe you will rent a storage locker and then forget about it and some TV show like Storage Wars, will sell it and make someone rich. LOL

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

Are you still going out with your daughter? I think it is great family time during pandemic. How many hours do you think it took to find all these goodies?

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

We went a few times November.. She's been busy with college and her mom and stepfather got the Covid in December. We had to deal with that for a while but things are normal. Now it's too cold for her so we are waiting for warm weather.

chuck123 likes this.
  7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Are there any laws about finding a "Hoard" like in England? I have a tough time about having to turn over a "Hoard" to the government that they will give to a museum that will never display them.
    Anyway, I live on old farm land and would only find a nut or bolt or an old pair of pliers.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

I'm glad to hear that everything is normal now. Good luck on future outings

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You got 23 likes on this post. That’s gotta be a record?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Humans are terrible. A lot with no class

11. SpaceFury65

SpaceFury65 New Member

Hello All, New to the site. I've been metal detecting and coin collecting since 1979. I have an entire dime collection spanning Barber-Roosevelt, ALL FOUND minus the 16-D :)
    I bought a Vanquish 440 for my special-needs 12 year-old son with hopes of him getting the itch to find great things and teach the history behind it, and HE HAS... 1800 Large Cent, various other coins, 18k wedding band, silver rings.

My question is for the birthday boy, paddyman98:
    Since you've found so many silver coins with your 440, what target IDs were they in the range of? I live Upstate NY where the soil is highly mineralized compared to the cities grounds, so the numbers may be skewed a bit.

Thanks for any input.

ldhair, paddyman98 and masterswimmer like this.
  12. paddyman98

Hi. Thanks for your question!
    26-40 on silver.
    Smaller sized silver like Half Dimes or small silver rings 21-23

I responded to your private message also.

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe that you owe future metal detecting enthusiasts a courtesy. You should hang signs everywhere that you detect, “Ed Was Here”….. That way future enthusiasts will know that they just need to move on.

14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Anyone knows what the laws in North Carolina for metal detecting? I have thought about it but I don't even know where to start or find out the process to get permits or licenses.

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I detect in South Carolina and I get my information from the Parks and Services website. And we have different rules that pertain to different areas. I can't use a metal shovel on some of the beaches around here for example. And pretty much, private lands are wide open provided you get the land owners permission up front. But check your state's Parks and Services website. It's usually pretty easy to find the rules and regulations on line. Good luck.

ldhair and masterswimmer like this.
  16. SpaceFury65

SpaceFury65 New Member

Every place and state has their own ordinates regarding detecting. Sometimes if you ask nicely, they'll let you detect without a permit if you're "just visiting" for the day. I have had great success with that approach. You NEED to get that persons name so when you're approached by an authority figure, you have a response.

ldhair and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted