Metal Detecting - 2 US Silver & Indian Head Cent with Crud

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Oct 24, 2020.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I have a little secret ... but " I'll never tell " . LOL

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

paddyman, let it sit in some olive oil for a day or two...That should help bring it's color back

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice finds . . . as always. You the king man.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Everyone makes a mistake once in awhile. You are one of the best answer people on CT. Your paddyman, you are entitled to this very minor issue! I look forward and enjoy your metal detector finds. Thank you!

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Here’s the companion piece for your cannon. Unit badge for the 374th Airborne Artillery. It’s sterling. Found this a couple of years ago.
    Keep posting your finds. Love ‘Em. 21FD114B-0813-410C-8ED8-7F5DC2563220.jpeg

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Doing a search for the Elongated Cent I see the word Retro being used.. One eBay seller states it's from 1981.
    @lordmarcovan Any idea?

My Elongated Cent
    Capture+_2020-10-26-08-33-57.png

Sellers Cent
    Capture+_2020-10-26-08-33-18.png

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No clue, though I suspect the eBay seller is merely referring to the host coin on that particular piece being dated 1981. Might have nothing to do with the date of the die that was used in the elongation machinery.

Most people know you should use pre-1982 bronze cents to make elongated coins, since the post-1982 copper-plated zinc ones look terrible when elongated. So because of that, most elongated cents- even the ones made nowadays- are on pre-1982 host coins. Even if they're rolled out with new dies made in 2020.

So I'm afraid that doesn't tell us anything about when that die was made.

That's why I made sure the dies for my elongated coins are dated.

BTW, @paddyman98 - you have a set of them coming. The mysterious QuarterMaster at Quarter Notes, Ltd. bought a few sets of my elongates, and specified a few people I should send them to, and you were one of those people. I just haven't gotten around to shipping the sets yet.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? Absolutely cool!

I received another Quarter from him recently. I haven't looked at it well yet. Always Interesting.

Thanks for the response!

Draft saved Draft deleted