Messy Interior

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aidan_(), Jan 6, 2018.

1. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Sounds like Moesia Inferior. :confused:

Second grab at the FUN show, an attractive Gordie bronze piece. I think @Sallent would appreciate this one don't you think? :D

upload_2018-1-6_10-21-19.png
    Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum.
    Gordian III 238-244 A.D. AE20 (10.60 gm)
    Obv: Radiate draped and cuirassed bust
    Rev: Serapis standing, raising hand and holding sceptre
    Green/black patina
    Ex. Hoffman collection

Here's Spartan Numismatics photo to compare:
    [​IMG]

Post anything related to Gordian III!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

4. Aidan_()

Great bronze RC!

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Looks like a nice, hefty bronze!

20mm and 10 grams, it must be thick...

John

Aidan_() likes this.
  6. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Oohhhhh! Yay! I get to post my new hunk of roach! (Not to say that in a disrespectful way of course because it may come off as that) ;)

20171211_214417.jpg 20171211_214432.jpg
    [​IMG]
    (Not my picture it's from JA)
    Gordian III, AD 238-244
    AE30, 13.9g, 30mm, 12h; Nikopolis ad Istrum.
    Obv.: AYT K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC AVΓ (VΓ ligate); Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev.:YII CAB MOΔECTOY NIKOΠOΛEITΩN ΠPOC ISTPON; tetrastyle temple containing statue of Tyche standing left holding rudder and cornucopia; spear and shield on pediment.
    Reference: Varbanov I 4230a (p. 339)

Thanks,
    Jacob

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

It's not from messy interior, but it is my favorite Gordian III provincial!

[​IMG]

ANTIOCH PISIDIA, GORDIAN III 238-244 AD

O:Laureate and draped bust of Gordian III right; R: Mên standing facing, head right, foot on a bucranium, holding scepter and Nike on a globe to the right, rooster to left "COL CAES ANTIOCH SR" SNG France 1207. 35 mm, 26.0 g.

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice pick ups @Aidan_()

This one's not in my collection anymore as it was part of a giveaway last year but it certainly applies to the thread as a big bronze GIII :)
    IMG_4162.JPG

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sounds like you had a great time at the FUN show, Aidan! Maybe next year I'll try to get there.

@Roman Collector -- that's a lovely portrait on your sestertius
    @Youngcoin -- JA has had some terrific provincial this year, hasn't he? :)
    @chrsmat71 -- what a great depiction of Mên!
    @Curtisimo -- I love your watery background. So original. It is subtle enough to not detract from the coin, and gray (and grayish) backgrounds are tried and true :)

galba68, Theodosius, Aidan_() and 3 others like this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice big chunk Aidan, and your pic is better then the seller's

My only provincial of Gordie III

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, tetradrachm Antioch mint
    ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞΟCΚΙΑC, eagle facing, head left, wings spread, holding, wreath in beak, and taim left. SC at exergue
    12.38 gr, 25 mm
    Ref : Prieur # 282_281

Q

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Nice coins, everyone. You don't often see radiate crowns on provincials like on the OP. What's the size and weight?

dougsmit, galba68 and Aidan_() like this.
  12. Aidan_()

Thanks everyone, ya'll have some great coins. Glad to see you back posting regularly @TIF :)

Roman Collector, galba68 and TIF like this.
  13. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

From the title, I thought I would see a photo' of a few coins in the midst of domestic chaos (this would be typical of my home), but a nice coin :) I like colour, especially!
    ATB,
    Aidan.

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. Aidan_()

Meh, could of been better... but hey, it's something.

It does fade out early in the end, promise it wont happen again.

akeady, Johndakerftw, TIF and 5 others like this.
  15. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Nice that you go out of your way to make videos like that, very informative.

I've never heard anyone pronounce "patina" like that. Have I been saying it incorrectly my whole life?

Aidan_() likes this.
  16. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great video, @Aidan_()! I've been considering making some too, because I love watching them to see others collections and get details on my bus ride to and from work every day.

Here's a few Gordies for company:
    CollageMaker_20180329_204249759.jpg
    CollageMaker_20180329_204520318.jpg
    ^^^ those 2 are recent purchases in the last month or so.

CollageMaker_20180329_204718184.jpg
    ^^^ this one was my first Gordie and first Sestertius, which I gave a good deal on it to a local collector friend in October, but I've been missing it ever since... I reached out to him to see if I could buy it back. :arghh::banghead::nailbiting::rolleyes:

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Of the choices, Modestus is the one I've seen the most. I like the way the same legend YΠ CAB MOΔECTOY NIKOΠOΛEITΩN ΠPOC ISTPON was placed on various coins.
    All around the edge (with Hermes)
    po2060b02363lg.jpg

Finished in left field (with Hygaea)
    po2070bb2376.jpg

Three lines in exergue to finish the legend (with horseman) - This reverse die has a really bad die break. It looks like the exergual legend should have fallen off in a few more strikes.
    po2050b02362lg.jpg

18. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Deacon Ray, Aidan_() and randygeki like this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. Different pronunciations are accepted.

I stopped worrying in 1986. There was an International Numismatic Congress in London (completely scholarly, no coins for sale) and I was from Montana (hotbed of ancient coins! NOT!) and beginning to contribute academically to scholarship about statistics in numismatics. I attended and thought I might learn how to pronounce words and names from the pros. I took a tiny tape recorder and a long list of names and words from ancient numismatics. I asked famous scholars if they would be willing to pronounce the words on the list into the tape recorder, and everyone I asked agreed. (Words were like cuirass, aequitas, Geta, Antoninus, Severus, drachm, etc.).

After I had listened to several well-known numismatists, I gave up. There were so many different pronunciations I could tell there was little agreement and probably no "right" way. In particular, those from England treat vowels much differently than those from the continent. "Antoninus" can have an "ee" sound, or "eye". "Severus" can have "severe" in it, or "sever".

I have coin friends who leave out entire syllables, which is going too far. Look at the word or name, give every vowel some place in your pronunciation, and it will be close enough.

20. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I might have to be one of those "leave out a syllable" people. Stuff like "Aurelianianus" is a tongue twister in one word. Like someone accidentally duplicated a couple of extra syllables in the middle somewhere.

I was introduced to the English and their strange vowel pronunciations at a geochemical conference when I was an undergrad. Sat in on a presentation by an English guy, got 3/4 way through before I realized that Aluminium wasn't some exotic new element, but plain old Aluminum :(

Aidan_(), Eduard and Justin Lee like this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted