messing with my new camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calumsherwood, Oct 17, 2011.

1. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

intead of buying coins for myself this birthday i decided i should get a new camera as taking coin pics with my phone is infuriating and not always the best quality. these are just test shots so i can get used to the camera settings and see what they look like on the forum. comments welcome good or bad, thank you all

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looking good Calum. :)

What's your lighting setup? The third pic looks a tad dark and the mercury has a golden tinge to it......

4. phdunay

phdunay Member

Cool, what kind of camera is it?

5. PesoKing

PesoKing El Centenario

Pics are looking nice, I also need to figure out my camera's settings. Good job :)

6. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

the lighting is nothing just a bendy light, i normally like to take pics in daylight but disnt have time to this morning, so thats why they are all a bit dark. the merc has a nice gold toned look and that pic isnt far from how it looks in hand.

the camera is nothing fancy either its just a fujifilm j28, cheap enough, but its 10.8 megapixel and has a really good zoom.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice job with Abe..........:)

8. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

i will take some more in the morning when the light is better

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Focus looks good.
    I can suggest some things that will help improve your images:
    -- you need a "white" light source as others have mentioned; sunlight is good; I use an OTT-LITE with a "white" light bulb
    -- use a non-reflective black or dark gray background; you want the light your camera sees to be just from the coin; a white background can overpower the light reflected from the coin; this is particularly true when imaging copper coins
    -- use a camera stand (better than a tripod) for steadiness and a remote shutter release.

10. comma

comma Member

I would use a tripod if you can, quite a bit of blur.
    For the lighting, you could always get a daylight balanced fluorescent and put it in a lamp, works great.
    Nice shots :)

11. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

heres one i took in daylight this morning. ive figured out timer function on it now so that should do wonders for the blur.

Attached Files:

12. comma

comma Member

Ya, the timer will help a lot!

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Looks good, excellent white balance!

Draft saved Draft deleted