Messalina and the Corn Harvest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Mar 28, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

"But the Alexandrians, without asking my permission - and once the thing was done I could not undo it - struck a coin with my head on the obverse and on the reverse a full-length portrait of Messalina in the dress of the Goddess Demeter, holding in the palm of one hand two figurines representing her little boy and girl, and in the other a sheaf of corn representing fertility. This was a flattering play on the name Messalina - the Latin word messis meaning the corn-harvest. She was delighted."

Those were the words of Claudius in Robert Graves' classic historical novel, Claudius the God, the second book on the life and times of Claudius, the first being I Claudius.

Having read that passage, I decided to add an example of this coin, a billon tetradrachm to the collection. It is a bit of deviation from what I normally concentrate on, primarily Greek coinage, but what better reason to stray from the path than this intriguing information.

This coin, dates from 43-44 CE (4th year of reign). It shows typical crudeness (especially with the flan), but it is above average in overall condition and the centering is decent.

It was purchased just a few days ago, from a firm in France, so its arrival will undoubtedly be delayed by the novel coronavirus pandemic emergency that is engulfing the world.

Weight: 14.13 grams
    Grade: EF

Claudius and Messilina tetradrachm, Alexandria, purchase MA Shops.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice example.

[​IMG]
    Claudius (41 - 54 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: TI KLAUDI KAIS SEBA GERMANI AUTOKR, Laureate head right; L Δ (date) below chin
    R: MESSALI-NA KAIS SEBAS Messalina standing facing, head left, leaning on short column, holding two children in outstretched right hand, grain ears with left. RY 4 ( 43/44 A.D.)
    12.37g
    23mm
    Köln 81; Dattari (Savio) 125; K&G 12.35; RPC I 5145; Emmett 74.4.

Bing, Finn235, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, @robinjojo ! It adds some interesting backstory. I have one, too, but not as nice and from year 6 (visible in-hand, though not in the photo):

[​IMG]
    Claudius and Messalina
    Billon Tetradrachm; 10.32 gm; 24.0 mm
    Alexandria, AD 45/46
    Obv: ΤΙ ΚΛΑΥΔΙ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒΑ ΓΕΡΜΑΝΙ ΑΥΤΟΚΡ, laureate head of Claudius, r.; LϚ (year 6) before
    Rev: ΜΕΣΣΑΛΙΝΑ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒΑΣ, Messalina standing l., holding children and ears of corn
    Refs: RCV 1869; SGI 495; RPC 5164; BMCG 75; SNG Cologne 88; Milne 106; Emmett 74.

Jay GT4, Bing, Finn235 and 7 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting type. I'd like to add one to my collection. Will keep my eyes open...

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    RProv Valeria Messalina standing, holding children, corn, m-Claudius 41-54 CE Alexandria BI Tet yr 42-43 13.1g 25mm RPC I 5131

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Nice!

ClaudiusTet.jpg
    TI KΛAΥΔI KAIΣ ΣEBA ΓEΡMANI AΥTOKΡ
    laureate head of Claudius right, in field below chin, date L Γ (Regnal year 3)

MEΣΣAΛINA KAIΣ CEBAC
    Messalina as Ceres standing facing, head left, two small figures in right, two stalks of grain in left. In left field a lituus.

Egypt, Alexandria 42/3 AD

12.10g

RPC 5132; Köln 76; Dattari 124; Kampmann & Ganschow 12.23

Ex-Londinium Coins

Draft saved Draft deleted