Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bart9349, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I've been watching the Ancient coin forum messages.

Ancients have 155,109 messages as of today and the World coin forum has 156,916. Soon, the Ancients will pass the World coin forum in messages.

Interestingly, the World forum far leads the Ancients in discussions 13,482 to 8,138.

So, although the World forum has more discussions, it appears that the typical Ancient forum discussion engenders a lot me responses (messages).

I will let the numbers speak for themselves.

clapping.gif

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

We shall rule the world!!!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've been eyeing it myself. Interesting to see I wasn't the only one.

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Oh !
    I hadn"t even noticed the world coin forum is still in existence !

:D Q

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Am I not correct that when Ancients was spun off from World because of our taking over, the statistics for post up to that time remained with World but Ancients started with zero? If you looked at those World Discussions or Messages, how many should actually be in Ancients but just date back to the old days? Coin Talk has been good to those of us who were looking for a place to discuss our coins, our way (meaning a lot of messages).

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

When the Ancients forum was created, we actually moved quite a few World topics dealing with ancient coins over to the new forum. And yes, discussing coins always requires other collectors who are there to discuss. ;) That is hardly the case in World Coins. So maybe we can now merge the two foru---nah, don't worry.

Christian

8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

This is the only coin forum I read.

I like the relaxed and friendly atmosphere here. A really nice group of people hang out here and have entertained and educated me and I really appreciate it.

Go CoinTalk!

9. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

one of my first posts here in 2007. I hated having ancients mixed in with world coins

mcwyler likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

We also get all the babes.

nerd_harem.jpg

11. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I really think after 55 years I've discovered I'm a nerd. My oldest son and daughter in law are self professed nerds, into scifi, comics, super heroes, and the like, but these new found ancients and CWT's may be on the nerdy side. I mean that in a good kind of nerdy way. I have gained a lot of appreciation for them because the designs are not the same for a 100 years like my favorite US coins and each one has a story and history to them. No wonder there are so many messages and threads and such, I mean how much can you say about a 2008 cent that wasn't said about a 1983 model?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There have always been nerds. Today they are not ashamed of it. My favorite college professor liked to say, "It's more fun to know than not to know." He was my nerd role model. Numismanerds study coins because they are fun, not because they are profitable.

Carthago, stevex6, Parthicus and 2 others like this.
  13. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the fun not profit side. I usually by coins that are circulated so I can hold them, look at them, and enjoy them and not spend a fortune on them. I know there is some prestige in one being able to say I own an '09SVDB or a rare gold ancient coin, but I can't imagine there is much enjoyment keeping your collection in a save deposit box either. No offense directed at any one about owning rare coins I would if I could bring myself to part with that kind of money or someone on here wanted to send me their 1916 MS Standing Liberty Quarter. I tend to hoard more than collect because I haven't after years of coins found my niche until these ancients and I like em a lot.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

NERRRRRRDS!

[​IMG]

i visit the world coin forum every now and then as well, and didn't really mind when we were all together. I probably have almost as many world coins as ancient coins, but as far as money/time spent...WAY more for ancients. i'm probably the opposite of everyone here, i didn't branch into world/US coins until I has several ancients.

stevex6, Deacon Ray and Jwt708 like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have modern World coins and currencies out my ying-yang due to my travels over the past 35 years in my career. I will let my Grandkids have fun to sort them out...

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's me!

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Not really a Nerd... not sure what I am. Was heavily involved in several sports growing up in school, and University; active in clubs, 4-H, FFA, but I loved to read ancient histories as well as many other areas. Reckon I am a Mutt. Never much thought about nor cared. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    MKent likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've never considered myself a nerd, but, hey, if the shoe fits........

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I collect original comic book art ( I am looking at a Batman piece right now that was drawn and colored by Francis Manapul-look him up his art is great). I also collect watches, the works of JRR Tolkien, fountain pens and ancient coins of course.

Yes, I am a nerd!

20. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

The Ancient sub-forum did it: They surpassed the World Coin sub-forum in the number of messages (158,205 to 157,559).

Error coins is next (172,263).

AVsnoop.gif

bvb3_d.gif

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yeah, Ancients!!

:rolleyes:

Funny, because I loved it when we were all together and then we were taught/told to put "ancients" before our threads, so you World-fellas wouldn't have to wade-through our hum-drum ancient stuff ...

OCD => I never stopped prefacing my threads with "ancients" for I predicted that we'd one day be merged back together again (I'm probably the only sucker that still puts "ancients" in front of their threads, eh?)

:woot:

Oh well, I'm still fairly interested in my sweet ol' Canadian coins, so I always pop-over to the world coin threads anyway ... you guys are awesome "coin-fellas" as well!!

chrsmat71, Mikey Zee and Deacon Ray like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted