Merry Christmas and Christmas Loot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

pontos-amisos.jpg

Pontos, Amisos, c. 85-65 BC, AE 19, 8.15g, 19mm

OBV: No legend. Aegis with facing Gorgoneion.

REV.: AMI - ΣOY. Nike advancing right, holding palm branch over shoulder, monogram to left and right.

REF: SNG Helsinki II 110.

mysia-hemiobol.jpg

Mysia, Kyzikos, c. 510-475 BC, AR 0.34g, 7mm

OBV: No legend, Forepart of boar left, behind; tunny fish swimming upwards.

REV: Head of lion left in incuse square, retrograde K above.

REF: SNG France 373

postumus-ant.jpg

Postumus AR Antoninianus, 259-268 AD, 3.08 g, 21mm, Treveri (Trier) mint, 1st emission, 3rd phase, AD 261.

OBV: Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

REV: Fides standing left, holding two signa.

REF: RIC V-2 59, RSC 67a

I am in the process of purchasing this order along with 3 more coins that I will show later. I got $50 and decided to order a few Greeks to fill up my Greek gallery section of my site and because I like them too.

I badly needed some Greek coins in my collection because I only have two Greeks. The bulk of my collection is Roman. My family gave me $50 for Christmas and I decided that was the budget goal and I think I done well so far.

Hispanicus, paschka, stevex6 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well played for $50!! Glad you had a very Merry Christmas!!

paschka likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's $50 well spent! I love the doleful face on the Pontos.

paschka likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Samsung - 55" Class - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Black
    [​IMG]

... okay fine, it's not a coin (but still a sweet addition)

Sallent, Eng, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I wish I had some Christmas coins to show, but alas, if I want any coins, it looks like I will have to buy my own. Good selections.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Great choices @Gil-galad !!!!

I believe I'm still missing the 'Pontos' type, but recently purchased two of Postumus and one Boar/Lion/ Tunny coin over the past several weeks..

Congrats!!!

paschka likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Oh, I forgot......I did win one of two coins yesterday while out celebrating Christmas dinner with 'in-laws' and friends.

It's one 'type that numerous members have posted before but is the first example I now own: Constantine I and the 'upward glance'.:

Constantine I, 2.70 grams, 20 mm; RIC VII32
    CONSTANTI NVS MAX AVG
    Rosette- diademed head right looking upwards
    CONSTANTINI ANA DAFNE
    Victory seated left on cippus, holding branches and trophy, captive below N CONS

constantine Victory cippus.JPG

TIF, paschka, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice christmas assortment GG, some must have examples of type there!

and dang, check out that sweet LRB christmas score...that's awesome MZ.

paschka and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome Gil, 3 great coins at a great price, well done!! i need to get a piggy myself.:)

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Daryl => man, you got "all three" of those coins for $50!! (wow, that is very thrifty shopping) ... well done

Happy Boxing day, coin-bro!!

Yah, I like them all, but I especially love your Pontos Amisos coin (yah, as you know, I'm a total sucker for those Pontos Amisos Perseus-Medusa coins, eh?) ... they're very cool

hey, I have an example similar to your OP-coin, but my example is from a different city ... wanna see it?

Sinope, Paphlagonia AE22

Sinope Nike.jpg

... again, that's an amazing deal for $50!! (I spent $65 for my example!!)

=> you win (Merry X-mas)

TIF, Gil-galad, Bing and 2 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Steve I really hope you are watching the right kind of program on your new TV. My daughter gave me a ScreenBeam Mini2 which allows my minuscule 40" Samsung to display what I see on my computer. Imagine how great some of the coins we see here will look on a 55". Of course you may need some larger files for that 4K since I only post 1080's here. I don't know about others here.
    ca_large.jpg

TIF, Sallent, Gil-galad and 6 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

No, it isn't. It's a very scarce Constantinople-only short-run series. I sold one in a similar grade several months ago, but as far as I know, only one other member has one. The "eyes to heaven" busts are even scarcer than the normal ones. A fantastic score in that grade!!

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> the future is coming at break-neck speed!! (I guess me wife figured that ultra-high-def is just around the corner?!!) .......... who am I to argue? (your coins will still look pretty cool, for I now need glasses to see pretty much anything!!)

:woot:

Cheers, bro-Doug

Happy New Coin-Year

15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

001.jpg

Antiochos III, 223-187 BC, Antioch ad Orontem mint, AE11

OBV: Laureate head of Apollo right.

REV: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY above and below Elephant advancing left, no symbols or control marks.

REF:

001-1.jpg

It's a AE9 from Ionia, Phokaia. I'm going to fill in the attribution details later because I got these coins from a shop at MA-Shops. They delete the coin page after you purchase it and I didn't copy the details. I'll give it more details when I receive.

001-1-1.jpg

It's a AE12 from Ionia, Teos. Same story as the previous coin.

That's all my Christmas loot. I think I done well, 6 coins for $50. Not the best coins, but they ain't bad either.

TIF, Johndakerftw, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I just died of envy. Can I come over and watch a movie sometime? Ill bring the popcorn.

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, I did promise I wouldn't buy anymore coins before the end of the year, and I informed JA that I wasn't going to be purchasing any coins in his Christmas auction.

I don't know what type of magical spirits JA consults with, but it is powerful magic indeed, because my wallet came to life and PM'd JA and bought these two while I was out doing something else with the family. So technically that's not breaking my promise if my wallet became possessed and acted on its own, right? Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

diocletian.jpg maximian.jpg

For historical context on these two coins, I'll refer you to my thread if you haven't seen it yet.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/di...-principate-and-birth-of-the-dominate.272335/

If you like late Roman history, it is a nice account of the man who transformed the Empire and brought it out of the crisis of the third century.

Johndakerftw, Mikey Zee, Bing and 2 others like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I thought I'd leave one last Christmas memory ...

=> "Merry Christmas from the stevex6 home"

IMG_5215.JPG IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5221.JPG

Cheers ... and Happy Holidays

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    TIF, paschka, Carthago and 6 others like this.
  19. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Also struck in Amisos, Pontos the coin below has Athena helmeted, with Perseus holding the head of Medusa on reverse. It measures 31 mm. BMC 1167. Sester O 001.jpg Sester R 001.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted