Merging Coin Images with Photoshop

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carausius, May 23, 2018.

1. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

To process my coin photos, I use Adobe Photoshop (I think the current version of Elements), which is a frustratingly overly-complicated program for certain things...like this. There are times that I'd like to combine my obverse and reverse coin photos into a single image. I know it can be done, but I cannot seem to work it out. I suspect it involves manipulating Layers, and I've tried that but failed. Can any of you Photoshop users give step-by-step instructions for combining coin images that even an idiot like me could understand? Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Just use Paint. It takes 30 seconds.

That is all I use Paint for but it makes this easy.

Open the obverse, stretch the frame out, and use paste from the reverse file.

4. Carausius

Thanks! Is Paint embedded in MS Windows?

5. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

I like to use Paint also to work with photos. It is simple to use.

Carausius likes this.
  6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

In Photoshop, you'll need to adjust the Canvas Size (Image > Canvas Size) to be large enough for both images. Then, just copy/paste them. It'll automatically create a new layer. You can then move each layer around independently.

Curtisimo, *coins, benhur767 and 2 others like this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I don’t use photoshop, but my method would work with photoshop. I save a seperate image of the obverse and reverse, each 4x4 in size. I the create a new image with a 4x8 canvas, and just paste the two images in side by side.

Carausius likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I use MS digital image (just the free version)

*coins, Carausius and Clavdivs like this.
  9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Make sure both images are same size. Copy 1st image and select "new". Make image page @ twice width then paste. Move to side. Select 2nd image and copy, then paste in wide image. Move as desired, merge layers, and you've got it.

Carausius likes this.
  10. Carausius

Thanks @AncientJoe . I'm not sure I adjusted canvas size previously.

11. Carausius

Thanks all. I will try all these tips tonight and report back on success/failure.

12. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

@Carausias Since you asked about using Photoshop, I suggest you ignore all the adivce you are getting for other utilities. Let me tweak the advice you got in the quote, because there are a couple of things that have been left unsaid.

1. "Make sure both images are same size." After bringing the images into PS, use the crop tool as needed to make the dimensions of the two sides about the same. choose one image to start, e.g. the obverse.

2. "Copy 1st image and select "new"." That is not quite correct.
    Use the "Rectangular marquee tool" to select the crop of whichever image is larger, or choose the obverse, and copy that selection to the clipboard (e.g. "control C")

3. a. In the "File" menu select "new;" this will bring up a screen with info on the dimensions of the new image window/canvas you are about to create.
    b. In the panel for "Width," double the number you see appearing there.
    c. Click "OK" and this will create a new canvas with the height and width you need.

4. a. Paste ("Control V") your clipboard into that.**

b. Select the "Move tool" at the top of the PS toolbar, and drag the obverse image you just pasted in to the left. Your obverse layer is ready.

5. For the reverse, I assume you sized it up when you did the cropping in step 1. If not, select its file and crop it to match the obverse. Then perform step 2 on the reverse image. Then go to step 4 for the reverse image.

6. When both images are positioned in the new canvas, save the composite image. It will default to a .psd file. Good idea to hang on to that for a bit. Save it again, but "save as" a .jpg. The window that pops up for this save will tell you the size of the image you are making. You can adjust that to meet the demands of the website.

These are the basic steps only. Many, many tweaks can be done between these steps to allow you to correct or create whatever effect you want. PS will enable anything you might want to do.

**corrected from Control-P.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Carausius likes this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I use the old photo joiner online. You select the obverse image, select the reverse image, and then click on join photos. You can then download the photo to any folder. It takes less than 30 seconds.

14. Carausius

Thank you for that detailed, step-by-step @lrbguy !

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have used Elements since version 2.0. This feature has not changed. I made these instructions quite a while ago (6.0?) but they might help.
    http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/132250026
    There are words on the link above that explain the images.
    [​IMG]

16. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

I work with Photoshop too, and this is basically the method I use. Although I use a pre-sized "template" image, which is just a white background that I have already saved to the correct pixel dimensions. This way I don't have to rethink things every time I make a composite coin image. For example, I don't have to remember the correct pixel dimensions to use each time.

I also use the magic wand tool to delete the background of each separate obverse and reverse image, making it transparent before I drag to my template image. Each will appear on its own layer above the white background of the template. With the obverse and reverse backgrounds transparent, it's easier to position them without overlapping. This also eliminates uneven shadows, gradients, dust, and other distractions.

I make sure to hold the Shift key when I drag the coin images onto the template image. This will automatically center them. I then drag the images into position, still holding Shift to lock to horizontal or vertical (depending if obverse and reverse are side-by-side or one above the other). I also use guides to ensure that the obverse and reverse are spaced consistently from image to image.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 14.19.29.png

In the image above there are three layers, one each for obverse, reverse, and background. The checkerboard pattern behind the coin layers indicates that they are transparent, allowing the white background layer to show. The blue lines are guides, which I use for consistent spacing. This image is sized for placement on a web page for which all the coin images will be aligned along the bottom (see image below). Since they will all be shown at the correct sizes relative to each other, the extra space at the top and sides allows for varying flan sizes.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 14.29.49.png

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Curtisimo, Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  17. Carausius

Thanks @dougsmit and @benhur767 for the helpful replies. Armed with all this terrific information, I'll try again tonight.

benhur767 likes this.
  18. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I use Paint as well. Very easy.

Carausius likes this.
  19. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Carausius likes this.
  20. Carausius

Thanks to all contributors to this thread for your help. Success!! Now, I just need to work on my photography skills...

CM Victoriatus combined.jpg Papia combined.jpg LT Victoriatus Combined.jpg

21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

If they be your photography skills, then your photography skills are light-years above mine. My skills are so bad that an old world monkey takes better photos than me.

Here is my first ever terrible attempt at photography:

Gordian III denarius Diana Lucifera_clipped_rev_1.jpeg

Ouch....what a psychedelic trip. Who needs LSD when you got pictures like this? :facepalm:

And here is the monkey's photo, taken by the monkey himself.

_85730600_monkey2.jpg

The monkey is the clear winner. I bow down to his superior photography skills. All hail our monkey overlord. :singing:

dlhill132, DEA, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted