Mercury vs. Peace

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lonegunlawyer, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Mercury Dime or Peace Dollar

Poll closed Jan 14, 2013.
  1. Mercury Dime

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Peace Dollar

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

If you had to choose one or the other to collect, which would you choose, would you choose the Mercury dime or the Peace dollar?

THIS IS SINGLE ELIMINATION

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rebop

Rebop Member

4. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I can't vote on this one, they're both on an even playing field. Two very historic and lovely designs.

6. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Dime, they look nicer and can be purchased at close to melt in poor condition.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Between these two choices, gotta say the Mercury dime, hands down. One of my oldest favorites, this piece of American coinage saw us through two World Wars. It was an excellent blend of ancient mythology, wartime as well as peacetime appeal, and just plain beautiful in its design. Don't get me wrong. Peace dollars are purty too, but in no way can the silver dollar most popular during the post war economic boost of the 1920's, compare to what the Mercury dime saw the american people through. Not only the First World War and the Roaring 20's but then also the Great Depression, followed by the Second World War. There is really no comparison here. :)

8. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

Peace 4 me... I like my Lady on the "slightly heavier" side :)

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

That was the hardest decision of my life. Mercs.

10. petro89

petro89 Member

I love Mercs, but I gotta go Peace on this one. The only thing better than a silver coin is a bigger silver coin.

"Just like my daddy used to say...the only thing better than a crawfish dinner is 5 crawfish dinners!" lol

11. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I love the peace dollar, especially the 1921 ... sorry mercs

12. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

it seems like its pretty close. Peace has one more vote.

13. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Easy one for me here, got to go with the Peace. I only have 3 but they are some of my favorite coins.

14. ed221

ed221 Member

I love the design of the mercury dimes, so I got to go with them.

15. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

soley on design, the Mecury dime

16. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

DSCF9209rs.jpg
    And to think Weinman gave us the Walker too, what a genius! Sadly, I don't think circulating US coinage will ever look that good again.

17. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

tough call.. both are favorits,, but will go with Peace.
    1 - a bit more silver for the dollar, which serves as an insurance policy to changing collector demand.
    2 - Fewer coins to complete the series, which enables more $ for upgrades etc..

18. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

still love those mercs

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Neither. Can't believe it came down to these two as the final bracket.

20. Definitely the Mercs. In my opinion, (along with WLs) they're the most beautiful US coins. And a 1945S Merc was the first silver coin I ever found, so it's special to me!

21. lightrain

lightrain Member

Peace, my eyesight is not what it used to be and I just like being able to see a coin without a magnifier. Peace is not without its faults, but pit the most beautiful peace you can imagine against the most beautiful merc? It's gotta go to peace- there are just so many things that can go wrong with a peace dollar. Drop a merc on a merc and you may not even leave a mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted