Mercury Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by UnCommonCents, Feb 25, 2024.

1. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

Which dates and grade are your cut off for collection vs scrap 90 for common date mercury dimes? Would you say there's a common rule? 40s au, 20s and 30s xf hold value over melt? Scrap value for all unless unc?

Whats your OPINION? And why?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

No opinion. I dislike any dime because of its size. Just too damned small for my fingers to manipulate.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Each coin must be evaluated as a single coin. You just can’t lump them together.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have close to three hundred metal detected Mercs found over 14 years. I haven't decided what to do with them :rolleyes:

IMG_20240226_055902268-1.jpg IMG_20240226_055910498-1.jpg

6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have few Mercury Dimes in my collection. I try to collect coins that I like, i.e. the Gold 2016 W Mercury Dime, the Gold 2016 W Gold Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar, and the 2016 W Gold Liberty Walking Half Dollar. I missed out on the 2014W Gold 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar. The Kennedy is a bit too much for me now.
    Thanks for all entries.

7. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I bought bag of these sorted coins only, from bullion dealers for years, removing the full fasces, with complete diagonals coins.
    I sold the searched bags back to Hannes Tulving before his demise.
    Even if you've 5 figure funds to spend, I defy you finding a CAC bean capable, 1945 true Micro-s, FSB, complete Fasces/Diagonal lined coin.

JMHO

P.S.: I tried copying the true micro-s which is smaller than the other two s I've shown, where there are virtually no eyes, both the upper and lower tails touch the body between.
    It can only be seen in "edit/wep" mode!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  8. beerandchips

beerandchips New Member

I like uncirculated coins for the 40's and late 30's. Then going back in time, I try to find AU or good EF samples. I keep an eye on the Red Book to see what is considered to be the demarcation line between "melt" coins and the ones collectors are paying to add to collections. I am not actively building this collection at this time, but try to pick up coins at good value, because I know that I will put together a set sometime in the future.

UnCommonCents likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Sure looks familiar !! :) Jim

Attached Files:

imrich likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted