Mercury dime addiction

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmatt, Jul 19, 2016.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

I seem to be developing a nasty addiction to high grade mercs. Purchased these three in the past month. Think intervention is necessary?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

micbraun likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just out of curiosity, I see the grade doesn't include Full Split Bands or FSB. Do they have FSB or not? Is it something that is mentioned only by demand? How common is a 67 coin without FSB?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

FB or FSB is an automatic designation by the TPGs, you don't have to request or pay extra for that just like the FBL with Franklins and the full head for SLQs ect.

6. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I do not collect the series but my prior review of the population reports showed that in higher MS grades, the counts were higher for FSB than without it. I don't know if this is the result of submitter choice or if the reports correctly reflect the relative distribution.

7. Kentucky

So, these aren't FSB?

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

You need to look at the proofs too.:D

9. baseball21

In this case I think it is more a characteristic of the coins themselves. Coins are more likely to have that better strike in those grades.

10. baseball21

Not in their opinion that time through the grading room. They usually don't miss things like that but sometimes they can be overly picky with it.

11. Kentucky

12. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

You can find plenty of MS67 Mercury dimes without the split bands and even MS68 without the split bands.
    Both of the two major TPGs are pretty strict about what they will label as FSB and many times it is such a minor flaw in strike that will limit the coin it seems unreasonable.
    That being said, you can find some amazing high grade Mercury dimes that just miss the FSB at a fraction of the cost. I think the FBL and FSB designations may have started out as a good descriptor for a coin with a full strike, or very well struck, but it has turned into something else all together.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No, just buy more and feed your addiction. :)

14. johnmatt

The 45 in fb will set you back a truck full of cash (20k or so for a 66). The 45s and 45d are do-able in fb. I am not averse to fb coins, I own a few, but what seems to draw me to these is the beauty of them in the high grades. In most cases I sort of resist paying a strong premium for fb.

CoinZone, Kentucky and -jeffB like this.
  15. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

16. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Yes MABY an intervention is appropriate, I'll tell ya what, being a RN TRUST ME, hand over all your mercs and also to start the purging process go out and buy all the Mercs you can find starting with a wish list or I mean a list of Mercs I have written down for just such occasion, as a Nurse I'm here to help. Next after you've exhausted all Avenues for getting any more the next step is time, when the time is right I will contact you, if you feel you have to purchase more Mercs well buy but buy 5x the amount and promptly turn them over to me. After the appropriate time when you have lost interest in Mercs you let me know, when you have no interest any longer you will be cured. As far as my fee, we'll just call it even. Kidding, thoughs are really nice, good for you, you are a collector, lifes short, enjoy.

Greg Smith and johnmatt like this.
  17. johnmatt

Well Ericred, that sounds like a tough five step program. Oh for the good old days when my wife would say "if I catch you in that bar again!" instead of "if I catch you on E-Bay again!"... btw-is it a bad sign if I heard that 45d speak to me?

18. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I am not sure your addiction is a bad thing because those dimes look great! I say keep buying them.

Greg Smith and johnmatt like this.
  19. Kentucky

One of the reasons I ask is that I have found several mercs that are not slabbed, but very clearly have full-bands.

20. johnmatt

I hope you find a 45p! That's one tough coin. I've looked through several BU rolls of 45p and found some fairly close but not close enough. There was one I thought welll maybeeee. I would put it away and go back and look days later, trying to convince myself it was fb. Finally shared it with some friends who promptly KOed my dream. The problem with the 45p is the spread is sooo large between fb and not that you have to be pretty sure or you're wasting your grading $. In ms65 the non fb is about $20, but the fb around $12,000.

21. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

johnmatt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted