Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by longarm, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Most of us that are criticizing it didn't buy it on principal. For an entire year we were all hyped to want it. We were saving money for the set, talking about it ad infinitum etc. Then they made it a bullion piece with incorrect specs and made the hh limit so large that they were targeting flippers. Then we learn they can't even fully strike the features to be true to the design. They put profits before product. And while making a profit is what makes the world go 'round they really pissed off a lot of people with how they handled this bullion in commemorative clothing. This is NOT a "didn't get 1 before they sold out" sour puss situation. This is a protest the idiocracy of the people in charge at the mint type thing. They had us strung along for a year then delivered a very sub-par product. Now, we get no nipple on the SLQ either. A full breast with no nipple. It pisses alot of us off. So, sour grapes. Yes. But because we weren't fast on the order button? Nope!

One silver, or should I say gold, lining is if Dan Carr overstrikes these abominations with full features. That I will scoop up :)

saltysam-1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Dan Carr makes fakes there just better then China, but still fake so wheres the difference? But youll buy his? If you feel the mint strung you along. Whats Carr doing with restrikes?

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Why don,t you guys read the prior threads on this subject?

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Because there are only 24 hours in a day. :)

6. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You are obviously clueless, but that's ok. Many people are with regards to Dan's work ;)

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's perfectly fine to get one because you wanted one and say that you like the piece anyway. But if you read through the threads the overwhelming negativity comes from two major issues. The first is the quality, no FSB/mushy details/finned rims ect. For a modern gold piece that should be unacceptable from a major world mint. If they put out Gold Eagles with that quality people would be tearing them to shreds. People just seem to be accepting it because it was a one off issue.
    The second is the pricing which makes the lack of quality an even bigger joke. For such a stiff premium you would expect the work to come out very well not just churned out like bullion sold at a stiff premium. After the gold Kennedy there is not much reason to believe these won't follow the same path when they are no longer the new hot item on the block.

That said very few if anyone was criticizing anyone who said I don't care I want one and I am getting one. Most people even said if you really want one just go ahead and order one and be done with it.

saltysam-1 and Santinidollar like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Heh. The population has grown by almost 3,000 (nearly 50%) since I posted that link 48 hours ago in this thread. :)

The percentage of the total which made 70 has gone below 90%, though.

10. chascat

11. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I'll buy mine for < $150...:D

12. chascat

I might do the same!

13. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Youll wait along time

14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

About a yr. ...IF spot gold remains the same price.

15. Key70

Key70 New Member

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

17. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

im still glad i sold my dime 5 minutes after i bought it for a 155 dollar profit

Draft saved Draft deleted