Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by longarm, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yup, mostly by big dealers and their employees all getting the max on speculation. Once the glut of graded ones start hitting the market you'll be able to buy raw ones at around spot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike 1959

Mike 1959 Member

I plan on keeping them & they do look nice in the OGP but also like how the NGC slab looks. (I have 2 & suppose I would sell the 1 if someone wanted to give me crazy money.)
    I looked at them with my 10 x loupe & they look fine to me but not sure if they would come back 69 or 70.
    I would be a little disapointed if they came back 69 & would feel like I should not have sent them in.
    (I appreciate your response)

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

PCGS is showing 6176 of these graded so far. 5613 are 70's.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Mike 1959

Mike 1959 Member

Thx for sharing.
    I would have a really good chance of having 70`s then.

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

WOW. Raw ones will be going below spot now lol

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Mike, that's not good news. It means 70s are going to be quite common so don't expect much of a premium even for 70s.

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

But 69's are rarer than 70's...;)

9. Mike 1959

Mike 1959 Member

I just like the best of the best. :)

10. Mike 1959

Mike 1959 Member

I just like the best of the best. :)

11. Dancing Fire

Not spot, but they can be bought for about $150 a yr from now.

Cascade likes this.
  12. Dancing Fire

My crystal ball say a yr from now ...70's will sell for $150 and 69's will sell for $140..."IF" spot gold is near $1275 per OZ.

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

You can almost see where the mint could ask any price on them they wanted. Collectors are not concerned about price. What are there, 7 billion people in the world? That and a low mintage puts it in a sell out range without much thinking.

Mike 1959 likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Issue price was $205 each if I'm not mistaken.

15. Mike 1959

Mike 1959 Member

The exact price I paid The U.S Mint for 2 gold mercury dimes....

Subtotal: $410.00
    Gift Options: $0.00
    Shipping & Handling: $4.95
    Order Total: $414.95

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The international demand for ultra modern US mint products is about as close to zero as you can get, it's non-existent. In terms of doing international sales the US mint is almost certainly dead last from the major mints of the world. The vast majority of the world wouldn't even be able to afford one even if they wanted to which they don't

17. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

All you that didnt get 1 or decided not to get can ramble all you want about buying then @ 150.00 year from now. You can even buy a 1/10 gold eagle graded for that money. Dream on. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

18. Dancing Fire

Only fools would pay a premium for a slab bullion coin.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Just me, but I would never buy one except for close to bullion pricing. In the secondary market, it will only get what I want to pay for it, not what you bought it for. Being inexpensive, it finally became more collectable to a bigger audience. Even at $200, it doesn't make it a lucrative investment. So it will never be a very valuable item. It was the mint's first affordable product that was available in a long time for the masses. It's about time, I would add. They seemed to have let the majority of collectors behind. It was a nice purchase for you but it will not give you an early retirement, a new car or great memories of an exceptional vacation. No woulda, coulda or shoulda. Just reality. No criticizem, just don't put this in the realm of a exceptional collectable piece.

20. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Didnt mean to put in the realm of a exceptional piece. Just was commenting on all the negatives of why everyone who didnt buy it (for what ever reason) downgrading the piece. There are alot of items bought that will NEVER be a good investment but are bought because someone liked it. Not only that I BOUGHT MINE SLABBED. LOL That will be a whole other conversation

21. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Right Dancing Fire?

Draft saved Draft deleted