Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by longarm, Mar 7, 2016.

1. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I love the idea but wish they had kept the original style to the numbers in the date.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I agree. It looks like it doesn't fit the style.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Bullion value at issue: more than 1200 times face value. That's even better than the 5oz pucks at the peak of the silver boom. Wonder if any of these will end up getting spent at face value somewhere down the line?

I guess the record holder is still the gold Kennedy, though, since it held a full 3/4 oz. That record's likely to stand until they decide to issue a gold nickel or cent... :)

6. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Wow! Are they going to go into circulation?

7. -jeffB

By the way, where did you find the date? I'm not finding any recent announcements on Google.

8. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

It's on the mint's website under Product Schedule scroll down to April 21.

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

What are the prices for each of these types?

spirityoda likes this.
  10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I really want these, but if the mintage is high, I see another Kennedy gold. Should I buy from the mint, or buy MS70 graded on the after market for possibly less money? hmmmm

-jeffB likes this.
  11. EdGs

EdGs Member

I like the idea, but why does the mint insist on putting ridiculously low face value on the bullion coins?

Just my opinion, but I don't see gold going down below $500 anytime soon, and there would be some value for them, instead of getting $.10, $.25, and $.50 for these. That is, of course, if someone was naive or dumb enough to actually spend one.

12. -jeffB

They don't appear yet on the Gold and Platinum pricing chart, no surprise, but I'd expect their pricing to be in line with existing products -- spot plus $400 or so per ounce.

If gold stays between $1200 and $1300, I'd expect the Merc to go around $180, the SLQ around $420, and the WLH around $840. That's extrapolating from the prices for the First Spouse proofs, the 3/4oz Kennedy, and the 2015 HR. Of course, I'm simultaneously predicting the gold market and the Mint's whims here, and I haven't quite mastered this stunt yet.

Dougmeister and bdunnse like this.
  13. -jeffB

The point of this issue is to commemorate the classic designs. The denomination is a prominent part of those designs, and changing it would make the reissues a lot less satisfying to most of us, I think.

I don't feel like this explanation generalizes to the SQ/ATB pucks, though. Those are still just goofy.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If its a high mintage just give it a couple months and let the market crash on itself after the initial hype dies down. Most people buying from the mint will be looking for a flip if they don't do a limited mintage

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like that mercy gold

16. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

If the WLH is the size of a regular half dollar and is only .5 oz then it must be thinner than normal, no?

17. -jeffB

That's my understanding, and I'm not especially happy about it, but I guess it won't matter that much -- they'll all go into slabs or stay in capsules anyhow.

18. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

19. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Nope, only for collectors.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I'm guessing those images are photoshopped 1916 coins. So, maybe the actual coins will continue the original size & style for the date.

But I expect we'll see at least one small change -- the mint mark.

21. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I don't like buying modern coins, but if the price is reasonable then i'll buy 2 pieces of each coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted