Merc. Dime Struck Through or Just Damage"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jersey magic man, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

When my local coin dealer gave me this coin I initially thought that it was damaged on the reverse. The damage could have been early in its life and worn smooth through years of circulation. However after looking at it longer, the wear on other parts of the coin do not appear anywhere near as severe as on the "damaged" area. So since there are no sharp edges, and excessive wear does not seem the culprit, I was thinking that this may have been struck through something with minimal wear on top of it. Just my thoughts. I would appreciate yours. We will probably never know what actually happened, but theories are always interesting. Hope to see your comments.

Dscn0392.jpg Dscn0393.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It goes over the rim so i would think pmd.

Maybe a ridges potato chip machine lol. I don't know.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Damage, probable vice job.

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Can't say I know but I'm not quick to jump to damage. I don't see damage on the obv. Others will chime in.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

IDK. The way the design elements are missing.
    What could have made that pattern, if it is a strike through?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

With 75+ years of circulation under its belt, I won't even try to guess what may have caused this anomaly. ~ Chris

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Potato chip with ridges

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Looks like corrugated cardboard.
    CorCard6-2.jpg

10. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Interesting. I don’t see any damage to the obverse or the obverse rims. Stuck though? And if it is... What?

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm not convinced it's damage and I can't imagine what would cause this at the Mint. The coin is worn from circulation and it's how old? 77 years?

Islander80-83 and Danomite like this.
  12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Objectively look at the edge and reeding adjacent to the affected area. If you see any indication of it being out of round, thinner than the rest of the coin, or the reeding is inconstant, then it's likely PMD.

Based on the pics, I'm leaning towards PMD, but wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong

Draft saved Draft deleted