Memorial service for my lost Thasos Stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I was the successful bidder on this Thasos stater but never received it. Apparently, it has been misplaced somewhere between Germany & the USA. After searching for over a month, we must recognize that it may be lost to our hobby forever. Perhaps someone will recover it in another 2500 years.

In memoriam:
    Thasos Stater Lost.jpg

Alegandron, Eng, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Who did you get it from, Lanz on ebay? If so, no surprise it's "lost".

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Man that's rough. Beautiful coin now in someone else's pocket.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Purchased from a first class auction house (auction #19) & they always use Federal Express.

I made it my computer desktop image when I placed the winning bid. I've seen the coin image every day for a month. Even though I never actually had the physical coin, it still hurts to have it lost. :happy:

6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've had two coins lost from the same auction house when coming here as well. They weren't terribly expensive and I was reimbursed quickly but it's still very disappointing to lose coins you were looking forward to.

7. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Any chance you were able to at least recover your money ??

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Did tracking ever say it got to New York? New York loves to keep ancients for 45 days without written notice. I've had 3 or 4 held by customs in NY for over a month, each.

I almost forgot.... It's a beautiful coin.

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Very sad loss indeed. I think I lost some coins as well, recently. Didn't cost that much as that coin but it hurt my budget. lol

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yes, this has been my experience as well. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I once waited 2 months for a coin to clear customs. And other times I've received it in a week. And both coins came from the same dealer.

12. Personally, I think it's job security. I'm sure it's as random as TSA. 1-5% plucked just to look busy and make a futile paper trail to fill cabinets that will never be opened again.

vlaha likes this.
  13. Bing

I too have had the same type of incidents with customs in New York. We can keep our fingers crossed that it may just show up and surprise everyone. It'll be like a NewP all over again.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh man....i really hope that shows up still collect. sounds like there is still hope, keep us posted!

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

As others have said, it could eventually show up. What is the arrangement with the seller? Are they going to refund you or does their responsibility end when the carrier picks it up? If they refund you and it shoes up, do you just pay for it again?

16. Bing

I find I am honest to a fault (most of the time). I received a refund once and a while later the coin showed up at my doorstep. I immediately contacted the seller and paid him once again. I would like to think most of us are honest enough that we pay for our transactions, even late.

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Sorry for the loss, it's a very nice example of the type. I still sometimes hope that a coin that went missing in the mail nearly a year ago will somehow show up on my doorstep one day.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The F'ers (FDX) are a pretty good delivery company. Got a tracking number? I've got a feeling it will wind up on your doorstep very soon........

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*rats* ... yah, that's too bad ... but honestly, from Germany you were probably going to be taxed an extra 14-25% for misc-border-taxes ... so really, you only lost 3/4 of a coin!

... too bad though C89, because it really is/was a very sweet giggity-coin! (I still have faith that it'll complete the incredible journey and end-up ringin' your doorbell)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Everytime I did that before I received the coin something happened, like I got outbid, the auction house pulled the auction, or it got lost in the mail. Call me superstitious but I don't desktop image coins until I have them in paw.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I think it's bad luck to be superstitious. :D
    Actually, I posted the lost thread thinking that it might cause the coin to be found & delivered. (Like carrying an umbrella keeps it from raining). :happy:

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted