Memorial Cents-Raised metal between columns

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Nov 20, 2014.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Over time I have acquired many Lincoln cents in B.U. condition that have smooth raised metal in between different columns. It varies per coin but usually starts at the base of the opening between the columns. Is this a form of doubling or a die metal flow problem? Is there a specific name for these as errors? And do they have any value or are worth having 3rd party graded? No pictures yet but would appreciate any help based on what I'm describing. Thanks so very much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

A picture would help. Sounds like a die chip. Same year or different years?

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Mostly different years. I did find a die chip recently in the 9 of a 1959 B.U. cent but it is completely different from what I'm seeing. The die chip is raised blobish, these others are very smooth and sometimes you have to tilt the coin to see it. I tried to post pics before but the site did not allow tif format. I have reconfigured my scanner to Jpeg so maybe I'll have better luck. I have posted a photo, the raised metal is in side the 4th portico and is showing as irregular from the rest of same. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

img915.jpg

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

8. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted