Memberships, Numismatic clubs, do you or don't you?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bhp3rd, Jan 13, 2010.

?

Do you belong to Numismatic Clubs, memberships that charge a fee?

1. Are you an active ANA member now?

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Have you ever been an ANA member and now are not?

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Do you belong to ANA plus another membership?

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. I don't belong to any formal numismatic memberships with fees.

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

I am a member of ANA and like the Numismatist. I read a couple of articles each month (rarely get through the whole thing and like Lange's column). One other thing I like is the ads -- I find some coin dealers advertise there that I don't see anywhere else.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dond2885

dond2885 Junior Member

I belong to two local coin clubs and ANA. One club meets once a month the other twice a month. I look forward to the evenings. We have a speaker or educational program each meeting an an auction after the meetings. The comraderie and friendships I have made are invaluable. Just getting a chance to meet and discuss Numismatics with fellow collectors is the highlight of my month. Add to that the lifelong friendships I have made and "yes" it is more then just the coins.

4. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I take it only paying members are allowed to participate in these? If the deals were good enough to offset the fees and then some, that would be cool. MY problem I have found is that local collectors, shops and shows here are about 95% american coins or people not terribly interested in what I am interested in. The last coin show I went to had one aisle of world and ancients and 10+ aisles of american coins. So many morgan dollars...I never want to see another morgan dollar ever again :)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm a member of the ANA and a local club (Massapequa coin club) as well as this forum. I find that the collective knowledge contained in each of these venues is extremely helpful and rewarding to me...:)

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Actually I didn't join right off and I was bidding and buying stuff right off the bat. I've never sold anything yet but that's mostly b/c I'm new there. Now that I'm legal, (means I've paid my dues) I may sell something but I'm not in any rush. Yes Drusus, you may have trouble finding stuff you want b/c your coin needs are a bit unique. But you may find such good deals that you buy other stuff you could easily sell or trade with someone else. Mostly there's silver dollars, peace dollars, paper money, US denominations, gold. Not too much foreign coins and I've never seen a Notgeld. :D Anyways, my experience in my area coin club has been really good. :thumb: Also, I suggest to anyone who collects coins and has a coin club in their area to check it out. You don't have to join, and you only have to go once to know if you'll want to go again. :)

7. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

The Black Hills Coin and Stamp Club in Rapid City SD has about 75+ members. Our dues of $15.00 a year contributes to the organization of three small local coin shows a year and our club has a decent group of booths at every gun show around. We meet once a month and do things like a show and tell (I find it amazing the high caliber collections being built in this remote area) or member auction night which is a hit! One night a member might bring in dollars and we study what is the difference between a certified 63,64,or 65. I'm organizing a club library that holds books of interest for members to use so each member doesn't need to purchase every one out there. There is always the social aspect so I always attend and pitch in. I'm not always "looking to make out" on a coin deal and I consider coins a stress relieving hobby and any profit I use as allowance to buy better coins with. I still make mistakes and being involved with other coin collectors helps me make less. Leads, Learning, networking and sharing ideas that I wouldn't have on my own. Join one or start one, enough said.

Oh yeah, at FUN Charmy Harker called me a "Lurker" because I never post so I jumped in here. Later, Matt Copper Mania------

8. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

A point here -- David Lange got his start in the local coin clubs in the SF Bay area. :)

9. djjq29

djjq29 Member

I have been a member of the ANA since I started collecting. I think it is worth the price of dues just for the subscription for the "Numismatist" magazine (in my opinion). I find that I am introduced to areas of coin collecting that I would otherwise never even think of venturing upon.

For instance, about a year ago there was an article about collecting coins from the "12 Ceasers of Rome" that I found very interesting even though my focus in on U.S. coins. Who knows, maybe in the future this could be an area I pursue.

I am also a member of the BCCS (Barber Coin Collecting Society) and am trying to join the local coin club. Due to work constriants, I have not been able to make my first meeting (yet).

10. RoslynT

RoslynT RoslynT

Belong to a local club

Like several others I joined my local club. The club meets once per month and we usually have an educational program and always an auction. At the auction I usually get some greats deals. The club also gives away 2 uncirculated '64 Kennedy Halfs via a raffle to 2 members who get their number drawn and there is a raffle too! So far I've been going for about 8 months and have always won something -- so the club has been great at adding to my collection.

The relationships are great too. The guys in the club have been collecting alot longer than me and have offered me some great advice and let me know about shows and dealers in the area. Dues for my husband and I were only $7 per year!! Its the best $7 I've ever spent!!

I will be joining ANA as well. Just been busy spending money elsewhere.

11. green18

$7? My club charges $20.....if you pay up early. Otherwise it's $25. Still worth it for the knowledge and expertise I experience. The folks that I get a chance to rub elbows with far exceeds the monetary outlay.....which, if you think of it, is pocket change.

12. RoslynT

RoslynT RoslynT

Dues $25 versus $7

LOL! You must belong to a high class club! ;)

13. green18

Nah, Roslyn, just a bunch of "old guys" (interspersed with a few young guys) sneakin' out the second Thursday of every month.....:D

14. I am a member of the ANA and the SPMC. To be honest, I joined them both mainly to get their publication. I have found it's worth the price of admission just to get the publications. I refuse to read any magazines online, or newspapers for that matter, if they ever cancel the actual copies of the publications, that will be the end of my memberships.

I have been invited to the "local" club, I however am not able to get to it as local is a relative term, they are two counties and over an hour away from home, and I don't drive so I would have to rely on family to take me...and my family HATES the area, they are from that area and don't go there unless they absolutely have to these days. I would LOVE to go, but it doesn't look like it will be possible for me.

I would like to join some other clubs, but I just can't afford to. I can't afford coins, and I can't afford to read about them, either! Luckily, message boards like this one are free, so I spend a lot of time on here. If I ever get the fundage, I plan to join at least two more, possibly more.

Hey Lehigh...you mention there is no club for the study of the Jefferson Nickel. Why don't you create one? I'd be a charter member...I could even write an article or two for a newsletter, if it happens. I HAVE been published as a writer more then once in the past...

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I really don't have the time. Work and poker take up much of my time. There have been Jefferson Nickel clubs in the past, but none currently have a website. I don't know if the Full Step Nickel Club is still in existence or not but they supposedly had a great newsletter.

16. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Guests are allowed to participate as bidders in the auctions at my local club meetings, but I don't think they can't sell. I don't know that any non-member has ever asked to sell anything anyway.

I have been a guest (speaker!) at another club in the area and I was invited to stay for the auction, even won a couple of things.

It certainly can be a good opportunity to pick up items at reasonable prices.

Our club doesn't charge any seller or buyer fees. Actually, for legal reasons the auctions take place after the official close of the meeting.

17. coloradotokens

coloradotokens Junior Member

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well - I think I knew what you meant, but voted no. After that I did realize I do belong to a onlinr coin club - called cointalk. I keep planning on joining the ANA and will get to it one of these days.

19. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

[FONT=&quot]What thoughtful and interesting posts, as well as varied thoughts on the subject of coin clubs. As for me, I agree with Ricky/900Fine - I think it is important for camaraderie and knowledge to belong to clubs that are related to your area of interest, and not just for coins.

Joining an organization that has to do with something you like has many valuable aspects, both to the individual member and to the group as a whole. As several have said here, gaining knowledge on whatever subject you're interested in is much easier when you can discuss it with people who share a similar passion for that area. Besides receiving newsletters and having access to their websites, attending club meetings in person not only allows you to be able to meet with others and talk about your interest, it also enables you to see and handle exemplars. I have attended several club meetings where counterfeit specimens have been displayed and passed around so that we could all learn how to better spot these well done fakes.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]So here are the clubs I currently belong to and support:[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    ANA (American Numismatic Association)
    http://www.money.org

I haven't been a member of a local coin club mostly because I specialize and wanted knowledge on my area of specialty. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So the first club I joined was the ANA because it had the best selection of coin books and videos on grading, coin collecting in general, as well as specific coin series. The ANA website also had information on the coin shows they held all around the country, and a schedule of their summer seminars which had classes in some great subjects.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fly-In Club[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] http://www.fly-inclub.org/[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I then joined the Fly-In Club which is a club specifically for Flying Eagle and Indian Cent enthusiasts. I have probably learned more from this club's members and reading their quarterly journal than from any other club. I also try to attend the meetings which are usually held at the major coin shows, and the meetings are also usually very informative. And now I try to contribute and give back to the club to help "repay" what it has give to me over the years.

WIN (Women in Numismatics)
    http://www.womeninnumismatics.com

Several years ago, another woman coin dealer I knew told me about WIN, a coin organization for women. As has been discussed here and on other forums, and as many of you already know, women in numismatics is indeed a rarity. There are relatively few of us women who actually collect and love coins. To be honest, when I first got involved in coins (feel free to read my story on my website on how I got started), I did not know coins was pretty much a "man's hobby" - not that I would have let that stop me even if I knew that! But it sure was nice to know there was an organization that supported and recognized women's contributions to numismatics. So I also joined WIN. I always enjoy meeting other women coin people since we/they seem to have a unique perspective when it comes to coins.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]EAC (Early American Copper Society)
    http://www.eacs.org/[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Due to their beauty and history and keeping with my desire to stay with copper coins, I became interested in Early American Copper coins. I first bought a few books on large cents, half cents, and two cents, but there was so much to learn that I felt overwhelmed. So I talked with some EAC members who gave me a copy of the EAC newsletter. This publication is really helpful in finding information and updates on specific varieties. But the more I learn about Early American Copper, the more I realize how much I don’t know! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    CONECA (Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America)
    http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/

Then I started getting into errors (specifically, error cents). I happened to be at a dinner and was listening to a guy discussing his errors and a publication that had lots of information on errors, so I asked him what he was talking about and he told me about CONECA. They put out a wonderful attribution guide which provides very interesting information, photos, and prices on various errors. I've learned a lot just from reading these publications, but also from talking with members either in person or on various forums.

CTCC (Conder Token Collectors' Club)
    http://conderclub.homestead.com/

As some of you have probably noticed, I have most recently become interested in Conder tokens. In my opinion, Conder tokens are among the most beautifully crafted and detailed copper pieces ever manufactured. At the last Baltimore show, when Ron Sirna (the ANA legal counsel) showed me a few that he had just purchased, I couldn't take my eyes off of them. Just like that, I was hooked! They are designed in such detailed high relief and many are struck on highly polished planchets making them look proof-like (though they also come in proofs). And being the toned copper lover that I am, Conders also come beautifully toned! [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]But the best part about these pretty tokens is the history and stories behind each design. While Ron pulled out each token, he told me how each design came to be designed and what they meant. I fascinated and intrigued.

Even though I probably got involved with Conder tokens backwards (I bought one before I knew much about them!), I have learned so much since then from Ron (who is also a CTCC member), other club members, from reading books, and from reading the club's very informative newsletters.

So, now that I see I've practically written a book on special interest clubs (guess, I'll have to turn this into an article for some coin publication!), let me just say that, in my very humble opinion, if you have a specific interest in anything, club organizations play a huge part in helping you enjoy, learn, and share! The relatively small amount in dues you pay will surpass what you gain in friendship and knowledge. [/FONT]​

Draft saved Draft deleted