Members over 66,000

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by desertgem, Dec 4, 2021.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It seemed that recently when I sign in ( almost everyday) the list of new messages grows and the number of members have increased to over 66,000. I think just in 2019 I saw about 48,000. If anyone has kept tract, or Doug if there is a day by day counter that is stored , let me know, as I don't usually look at the front page :) Jim

serafino, Joe Rohrbaugh, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Over 66,000? Do we really have members that old? (I mean, besides Doug...)

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

found it. never mind.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I suspect a lot of our new members have come from having watched You Tube videos. John Wexler wrote me that this had created a lot of excess baggage for him when people sent submissions and mentioned You Tube.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And if someone googles something about a coin cointalk is frequently one of the first things that comes up so we get a lot of people that will join ask their one question (because they have to join to post) and then disappear.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There isn't. Admins, and only admins, can search specific date ranges and or specific days, but that's the only way even an admin can do it.

But anybody, even non members, can look at the Index page and see how many members there are at any time. On that page only the single newest member is listed by name, but that can change minute by minute to day by day.

love old coins and Mr.Q like this.
  8. GDJMSP

Gonna getcha for that !

Kentucky and Mr.Q like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Believe me, I feel that way sometimes…

Mr.Q and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s what I was wondering. Seems we usually have between 50-70 members on most days. Does the site purge a member that asked a question and didn’t come back for years or anything like that?

11. GDJMSP

Not just every day, but pretty much every minute of every day. And at the same time there are 10 times that number visiting as Guests, pretty much every minute of every day.

That was done once years ago, but only after a test of sorts was completed. Emails were sent out to all registered members who had not visited the site in years, telling them that they needed to click a link, or visit CT, to confirm that they wanted to remain a member. Those that clicked on the link or visited, stayed members. Those that did neither were removed from the member list.

Almost 40,000 of them disappeared with the click of a button.

Stevearino, Spark1951, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The number of those infected with the CT bug has been going up but I think the hospitalizations have been going down.

Stevearino, ldhair, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well if I gotta have a injection for my CT fever, my wife will have to have a full blown transfusion for her Facebook fever!

Cheech9712, Jim Dale, ldhair and 4 others like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Randy, we've got natural immunity by now, we don't need no stinking injection. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

66,000 only a few hundred remaining that are still constantly active.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

How do you think I feel, sitting here reading comments like this from people younger than I am? :oldman:

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

My question would be did the membership growth occur when Covid happened? Seems like people staying home were/are bored and turn to what is available at home (coins) to become more interested in. Just a thought.

Cliff Reuter and Mr.Q like this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Mountain Man. No, I have been retired for a few years. I have had more time to devote to my collection. The pandemic has allowed more time with family and that is also good, in a way. Just hope we all stay healthy and happy. Hopefully, the growth at CT will continue with dedicated members, such as yourself, to carry on the desire to be recognized as a knowledgeable and wise collector! Great question, thank you.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  19. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

I have not posted anything for a long long time. But i do look and learn from this site almost everyday. So I thank those who do post.

serafino, Trish, eddiespin and 3 others like this.
  20. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of those 66,000 are still active. I'll bet it isn't near that many.

21. GDJMSP

Naaah. The number of people registering as members every day has actually slowed down a bit during the pandemic. But, the number of posts made every day (about a 1,000 posts a day) has also been roughly the same for many, many years. I'm aware of this because I watch both things every day, that's part of my job here.

Draft saved Draft deleted