Melting Down Byzantine Coins for Gold Teeth, c. 1928

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I recently came across an interesting book called Out of the Past, The Istanbul Grand Bazaar by Burton Y. Berry (Arco Publishing Co., 1977). Mr. Berry was in the US Consular service posted to Turkey, starting in 1928 (the Preface is dated 1974). He wrote this book about his experiences as a collector. Mostly the book deals with textiles, glass, metal, weapons, etc. - he collected a little of everything. But the last two chapters are devoted to coins, one on Byzantine, the other on Greek, including professional-grade old school black and white plates.

His anecdotes are both charming and horrifying. Apparently gold Byzantine coins pretty much flooded the Bazaar c. 1928-1940s, but with very few collectors, these were often just melted down after some desultory cherry-picking. Here is an excerpt:

Book Istambul Bazaar 2019 (3).JPG

More small-scale and pretty funny, I thought, was the practice of Anatolian peasants saving gold coins they came across to give to their dentist for some new gold teeth!

Book Istambul Bazaar 2019 (2).JPG

I left other info as thumbnails so this post isn't gigantic. Ah, to be a time-traveler...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Attached Files:

Collect89, seth77, Quant.Geek and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

I couldn't read the text of the book because I didn't want to hear about melting great coins.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Ditto! I am not going to be reading that anytime soon...

6. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted