meiji 45 100 yen coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ugliknives, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ugliknives

ugliknives New Member

Help! I'm new at this- I found ( in Live Oak, FL) after tropical storm Fay an odd coin in my driveway. My metal detector says it's silver. Markings look japanese. Mums on obverse, 100 on reverse. No year date, only the numerils 45. Can someone help out a Florida cracker?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is a chrysanthemum on the coin, and if it has that it should not be silver, but cupro-nickel. The earlier coins were silver though. Meiji 45 would be equivalent to 1971 which would put it in the cupro-nickel era.

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Erm, I believe it's Showa instead of Meiji. Meiji 45 would be 1912 whereas Showa 45 should be 1970.

Here are the Japanese characters if you have trouble:

[​IMG]

From left to right: Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei

mlov43 likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

If the coin is uncirculated it is quite scarce.

The demand isn't very high but these are almost impossible to find even in XF.

6. Lace

Lace New Member

I currently have the same coin and am very confused myself. I cant seem to find a value as it is no longer in circulation. If anyone knows anything about this coin please let me know. Feel free to email
    Lacenicole2807 and its at gmail.

7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Can you describe the coin? The messages above are a bit unclear (plus you should remove your email, people can reply here so the information helps everyone).

If you mean a 100 yen coin like this one, they are still in circulation and mostly are worth a 100 yen.

[​IMG]

This one is worth a tiny bit more given year/condition.

If your coin is something different then a picture or detailed description would be helpful. If yours is the same coin but a different year there is a small possibility it is one of the less common dates and might carry a bit of a premium.

mlov43 likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I think this is the one the OP was talking about (except it's Showa 45).

Draft saved Draft deleted