Medusa of the Gorgons

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Ray, could you post the size, weight, and another picture of the one on the bottom? The KA monogram issues from Sardes are rare and the style on the obverse reminds me of Seleucia on the Tigris. I can see your monogram, but am unsure.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I really like the obverse of my Plautius Plancus denarius -- including the snakes at Medusa's temples and the banker's mark(s) to the left of her mouth -- but the reverse isn't great, since the fourth horse is entirely missing, one can barely read the inscription, and it's difficult to distinguish the different figures that are still visible. So when I've posted it, I've almost always posted only the obverse.

Plautius Plancus-Medusa denarius Obv. 3.jpg

Plautius Plancus - Medusa denarius (seller image) jpg version.jpg

And then there's my Apollonia Pontika:

Thrace, Apollonia Pontika [now Sozopol, Bulgaria], AR Drachm, ca. 450-500 BCE. Obv. Upright anchor with large flukes and curved stock; “A” [for Apollonia] to left and crayfish to right between flukes and stock / Rev. Facing gorgoneion (Medusa), wavy hair parted in middle, 16 thin, open-mouthed snakes around head as additional hair or crown, puffy cheeks, mouth open, tongue protruding (but not extending below chin), all within shallow incuse. Goldsborough Type 3 [Goldsborough, Reid, Apollonia Pontika Drachms (see https://web.archive.org/web/20141115000124/http://medusacoins.reidgold.com/apollonia.html), Catalogue of Types]; Topalov 41-42 [Topalov, Stavri, Apollonia Pontika: Contribution to the Study of the Coin Minting of the City 6th - 1st c. B.C., Catalogue of Apollonia Coins, 7th-1st c. B.C. (Sofia, 2007) (English Translation, Kindle edition)]; BMC 15 Mysia 8-10 [Wroth, Warwick, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 15, Mysia (London, 1892) at pp. 8-9]; SNG.BM.159; see also id. Nos. 154-158 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Great Britain, Volume IX, British Museum, Part 1: The Black Sea (London, 1993)] [online ID SNGuk_0901_0159 ]. 14 mm., 2.96 g., 3 h.

Thrace, Apollonia Pontika, c. mid-late 5th century BC. AR Drachm (Gorgoneion-Anchor) jpg version.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Ed Snible

Here is a Roman Republican issue:

105567LG.jpg
    L. Plautius Plancus. 47 B.C. AR denarius (18 mm, 3.62 g). Brockage strike. Rome.
    Ref: Crawford 453/1c; Sydenham 959b; Plautia 14.
    VAuctions/Triskeles Auctions, Sale 17, September 2016, lot 451 (WJP Brockage Collection) = Classical Numismatic Group, e-auction 59, February 2003, lot 131.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

GORGON
    upload_2021-1-11_18-0-46.png
    Ionia Klazomenai 480-400 BC AR Drachm Pentobol 3.5g 13mm Forepart winged boar r gorgoneion incuse sq Cf SNG Copenhagen 12 Rare

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Greetings, Ed—Here are some slightly better images—although not much. The dealer states the size as AE15; the monogram as “K”, and the weight as 2.49 g.

medusa_bull-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@Deacon Ray I am a Medusa fan too. I did not know she was on my Athena Steelyard weight.
    [​IMG]

I ran across this knit Medusa by Aimee on Twitter. She said she will Never make another one. My wife said she would not knit one for me, too hard and too yucky.
    upload_2021-1-11_18-49-13.png
    Aimee has an Etsy store with other ancient art. I ordered a few cards -
    [​IMG]
    Unique handmade prints and paintings by AtramentariaArt on Etsy

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

METUS (Medusa of Rasenna)

I like her, so I FREED her years ago...

upload_2021-1-11_19-28-49.png
    upload_2021-1-11_19-29-41.png
    Etruria Populonia 3rd C BCE AR 20 As 8.1g Metus Blank HN 152

octavius, Andres2, Deacon Ray and 3 others like this.
  9. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

My Plautii denarii...

Attached Files:

Deacon Ray and DonnaML like this.
  10. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

My Plautii denarii..

3eEYF7wS8ZZkJ5qebi4GY6Sm9PnjiP.jpg 9808LG.jpg 661318.jpg zJP85cXMZCn6K9HtqW2YL7om7kC4r3.jpg

11. Ed Snible

@Deacon Ray thanks for the new picture.

I suspect you have a Medusa bronze from the eastern mint of Seleucia on the Tigris. They come in three denominations at that mint. The largest denomination of the Seleukid "Medusa bronze" was only issued at this mint. Here is an example of the larger one:

1000-6-033.jpg
    Seleukos I Nikator. Seleukeia on the Tigris, ca. 280 BC, 22.9 mm, 10.92 g
    SC 151; SNG Spaer 143. VF, scarce.
    ex-Agora Auctions, Lot 6-033
    Seleucia on the Tigris was opposite Ctesiphon in the center of modern Iraq.

The mintmark of this mint is a sort of XAX monogram. Yours seems to have the right side of that. Check how it was cleaned, the left X might be hiding.

Most dealers can't recognize the mints for these and thus they rarely command a premium. You can learn to recognize the XAX mintmark, the obverse style with a more circular profile, or the concave reverse to identify them. Yours has an uncertainty in the lettering which I have seen in photos of the small denomination.

So far I have been able to collect the medium and large denominations from this mint. You may have the small. Maybe I am just being hopeful. If you have a small Seleucia-o-t-Tigris Medusa bronze, congrats to you, I have not been able to acquire one.

12. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It looks like Sardes SC 6.2 to me
    2536703.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Seleukos I Nikator.
    312-281 BC.
    Æ.
    Winged head of Medusa right. / Bull butting right; KA monogram between bull's hind legs.
    SC 6.2; HGC 9, 107a.
    14 mm, 2,57 g
    Image courtesy of Savoca coins

Besides the ones from Sardes don't have a dotted border on the reverse like Ray's coin.

13. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Adding my specimen to this wonderful thread:

Pontos, Amisos, AE31, time of Mithradates the Great (Mithradates VI) (c. 120-63 BC), Amisos, 109-89 BC, SNG BMC 1167, RecGen 17, SNGCop 137, Sear 3637 (31 mm, 18.5 g)

In the context of the period which this coin is from, Perseus and Medusa would be representations of Mithradates VI and Rome, respectively.

Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing triple-crested helmet decorated with Pegasus.

Reverse: Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and the head of Medusa. Body of Medusa, blood flowing from the neck, lying to right behind. AMI - ΣOY across the centre, monograms below to left and right.
    0BF601D0-7D5F-419F-A192-EB838608B04B.jpeg

14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Unfortunately both Medusa and Perseus are headless on my example:

Pontos - Medusa decapitated Oct 2018 (0).jpg

Pontos, Amisos Æ 28
    Mithradates VI the Great
    (c. 85-65 B.C.)

Helmeted head of Athena right / AMI-ΣOY across fields, Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa; Medusa's body at his feet, M(T)E and ΓA monograms left and right.
    Malloy 16e; RecGen 17c.
    (19.14 grams / 28 mm)

Draft saved Draft deleted