Medusa of the Gorgons

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I decided to review my Seleucid coins after seeing David@PCC ’s interesting post about his recently acquired unpublished coins. These are some that I purchased about two years ago but only last night realized that the profile on the obverse side is Medusa.

Medusa_the_Gorgon.jpg

gorgons2.jpg

Feel free to post your ancients that contain elements or imagery that you only discovered much later.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hey, Hey, Deacon Ray-

Amazing graphics as usual, and cool coins!

Is that Uma Thurman as the second medusa in the thumbnails below?

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't have any medusas (medusae?), but I always thought the portrait of Helios on this coin was a bit medusa-esque, with those flowing and rather squiggly-looking locks of hair...

[​IMG]

octavius, zumbly, Spaniard and 21 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for the depictions of Medusa @Deacon Ray. I'll throw in the Medusa - Perseus fight from Clash of the Titans (1981).

octavius, ominus1, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  6. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I think that’s from the first Percy Jackson movie, one of the favorite book/movie series of my daughter.

C Fonteius.jpg

For years, I thought this was Janus on obverse. While cataloging my coins last year, I discovered that it is (considered to be) the janiform head of the Discouri. I tend to forget that again, it’s funny when you have to adjust your memory and perception. Or, as Jean Piaget called it, create a new schema.

octavius, zumbly, Spaniard and 17 others like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Thanks, @lordmarcovan and yes it’s Uma Thurman in “Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief.”

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Theodosius, JulesUK and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

upload_2021-1-10_18-38-43.png
    Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 95/4 BC
    Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
    28.5mm 16.76 gm Thompson issue (New) 66
    Thompson catalogue: 937a ? (not in plates)
    Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
    on which month mark Γ control MH below
    3 magistrates : NIKETES DIONYSIOS MENE
    RF symbol : Gorgon Head
    All surrounded by an olive wreath

Believed to be a reference to Mithridates ancestry.

9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's an angry looking Medusa Deacon Ray. Here is an obscure one Mallus.
    g328.jpg
    Antiochus IV
    Mint: Mallus
    Denomination D
    175 to 164 BC
    Obvs: Winged Medusa right, fillet border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ on right ANTIOXOY on left, Nike standing left holding wreath. Fillet border.
    AE 15mm, 1.85g
    Ref: SC 1384; HGC 9, 716(R2-3)

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Lovely examples and display DR:artist::singing:
    Some also attribute the type as Alexander the great wearing a winged cap. Though it is probably wishful thinking and more likely Medusa.
    20190326_153647_C4EBFF2B-4841-4E02-BCFF-1B3E86E765D1-406-000000CC59A49DFE.png

When it comes to recent revelations, I gotta admit I'd always just gotten off with the coins description of another creeper, the running/ kneeling satyr.
    Then recently @TIF had pointed out what my eyes should have picked up on, the bent elbow of the satyr does indeed appear to indicate the dirty dude is VERY pleased with himself! A horses ears, tail and hair on his palms:facepalm::hilarious:
    20190327_123610_940F5650-EDF7-43FE-99FA-95903CBB716E-469-0000005E8A343BAD.png

11. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Surely, my little gorgon feels right at home in this thread!

gorgoncombo.jpg

octavius, Spaniard, ominus1 and 12 others like this.
  12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great poster Ray , I like it. Yeah, thats what I think Ryro. Looks like an Alexander young portrait.
    Looks like Seleukos was honering his former chief in command.
    but what do I know.

P1150912 (2).JPG

octavius, Spaniard, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  13. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

D410509F-A73F-4753-89FD-F2615E6E058D.jpeg BBE3E604-9664-475E-8431-EB63ABD1EA5F.jpeg Here’s my Medusa (in center of aegis)
    Rufus 46 BC

octavius, zumbly, Spaniard and 14 others like this.
  14. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

L Plautius Plancus Ar Denarius 47 BC Obv Facing head of Medusa Rv,Aurora flying right head facing left holding the reins of the four horses of the Sun. Crawford 453/1a CRI 29 3.87 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen 453-c.jpg I think this is one of the most interesting and complicated designs in the whole Republican series and one that is very difficult to acquire with the reverse more or less all there. Though this one's reverse is somewhat OC all the horses are visible and reasonably well struck up. Usually when I discuss a coin I often refer to "the money side" That usually indicates that in my mind one side is much more interesting than the other. This coin is one of those that both sides are interesting making it even more difficult to find a decent one.

octavius, zumbly, Spaniard and 11 others like this.
  15. DiomedesofArgos

DiomedesofArgos Well-Known Member

Awesome coin! I have a few of the Pontic Greek Aegis coins. I'll have to add this coin type to my wishlist

Deacon Ray and jdmKY like this.
  16. Deacon Ray

Thanks for your comments and interesting thoughts about the profile on the obverse side. I’m beginning to have second thoughts about the Medusa description given in some of the acsearch listings. Alexander or Hercules sound like good possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Andres2 likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree 100% but have to add there are a few other considerations here. The style on the Medusa varies a lot on these with some dies being gorgeous while others make her look like she had a bad night on the town. Others are just poorly executed in amateur style. There are two variations - with and without snakes flanking the face of Medusa. Perfect centering can be a problem if the flan is small and that loses the legends at the bottom of each side. Neither of my coins is overall good but, like 90% of these, each has something that made me want it.
    Reasonable style with the snake clear on one side, centered reverse loses all the legend, worn:
    r27480bb0405.jpg

No snakes, good style if you like eyes with a slightly drunken look, full legend, flat reverse top missing top horse head, uneven strike r27570bb2346.jpg

I doubt I will ever find a complete replacement for these two but I can see them being joined by coins with different faults.

octavius, zumbly, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. L. Plautius Plancus. 47 BC.
    AR Denarius
    20.5mm, 3.90 g, 7h
    Rome mint. Facing mask of Medusa with disheveled hair; coiled serpents flanking / Aurora flying right, conducting four horses of the sun and holding palm frond. Cf. Crawford 453/1a-b, d-e; CRI 29; cf. Sydenham 959, 959a; cf. Plautia 15, 15a-c;cf. RBW 1583-4. Lustrous, marks and scratches, large flan/metal flaw on reverse, weakly struck in areas. Good VF.

The coin below gets an honourable mention just for the resemblance.. we all know it is Athena facing but that’s some snakey looking hair if you ask me :)
    [​IMG]

CILICIA, Tarsos. Balakros.
    Satrap of Cilicia, 333-323 BC. AR Stater . Baaltars seated left, holding lotus-tipped scepter; grain ear and grape bunch to left, ivy leaf to right, T below seat / Draped bust of Athena facing slightly left, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet, single-pendant earring, and necklace. SNG France 367–9 var

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  19. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

971E0683-8F3F-4975-A110-9BA44238A9B1.jpeg 682990C3-64A3-4320-B347-E9F9CA64D579.jpeg Here’s another example, note how the reverse has problems unlike Terence’s beauty above

20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..now yer talkin'...i got this lil beauty in the year of 2020, 1st hole and all...it would have made an excellent jewel ornament to be worn in battle, or any time ..:D L. Plautiius Plancus Roman Republic 47BC 001.JPG L. Plautiius Plancus Roman Republic 47BC 002.JPG

21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i may have to watch that again~ good movie and the featured works of the master of stop motion, Ray Harryhausen...:)

Deacon Ray and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted