Medieval Women

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientcoinguru, Mar 5, 2017.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

fricken work ... it totally screws-up coining, eh?!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm 'cracked' tonite.......Medieval Woman, Evil Woman........

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

gregarious likes this.
  5. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Aye definitely!!! Moreover, lately, traveling around Europe is very uncomfortable. Police and even heavily armed soldiers through the streets of big capitals ... And on the subject of airports... I'd rather not talk ... Terrible! :nailbiting::(

Mikey Zee, FitzNigel and stevex6 like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

World has changed. During the First Gulf War, I carried large Bowie style knives (9"-12" blades) used by the Military as presentation pieces to our customers: ON the plane, IN the cabin, traveling all over North America! No problem. (wish I knew @Bing then...) One flight I, we carried a Presentation Dirk from our Factory in Wales to Brussels to give to one of our major customers. Customs questioned us, but had no problem that it was a presentation piece, and let us through. That was before 2000. Subsequently, I have had finger nail clippers confiscated and was scolded by customs...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Great post thanks:happy: and history to

RAGNAROK and Magnus Maximus like this.
  8. RAGNAROK

Amazing!
    I have traveled Europe countless times. I love all the planes of World War II and, sometimes, I use a comfortable (and coool) pilot jacket that mimics those of the pilots and that I carry full of patches and military badges. I have visited many cockpits (in mid-flight!) and I have had unforgettable conversations with pilots but the truth is that the current situation is unfortunate. Sad. We live in troubled times.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I wonder how many people have said the very same thing throughout time.

10. RAGNAROK

glass.jpg
    :rolleyes:;)

11. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I went to the ANA National Money Show in Orlando earlier this month, and added 4 more coins to my medieval women collection. The first 2 fit nicely into dual collections, since I also collect Byzantine and Crusader coins.

(1) A nice Byzantine follis with Irene on the obverse
    (2) A Crusader coin issued by Isabelle of Villehardouin

Irene & Constantine VI.png
    BYZANTINE
    Irene and Constantine VI, 780-797
    AE follis 2.09gm - 17mm, Constantinople mint
    Obv: Crowned bust of Irene.
    Rev: Bust of Constantine above M
    Reference: SB 1598

Isabelle of Villehardouin.png
    CRUSADER
    FRANKISH GREECE, Achaea
    Isabelle of Villehardouin, 1297-1301
    AR denier tournois .81gm - 17mm
    Obv: +YSABELLA P ACh, cross
    Rev: +DE CLARENCIA, Chatel tournois
    Reference: MPS.15b

I picked up these two coins because of I found something special about the coin.

(3) On the reverse, a portion of Czar’s face is obliterated by an overstrike, an official punchmark by their successors showing that coin could still be used as currency. The Czar’s wife’s face is unmarked -- but it is such a crude portrait, can you imagine being remembered for eternity with that face?:woot:
    (4) A readable date of 1478…yeah!

Helena of Bulgaria Serbia.png
    SERBIA
    Stefan Dusan of Serbia and Helena of Bulgaria, 1346-1355
    AR dinar .65 - 16 mm
    Obv: IC-XC,full length figure of Christ, nimbate, standing within mandorla, righth and raised in benediction, left holding book of gosples, star by left elbow.
    Rev: ELIA PAE- IPOR STFA, Dusan standing left and his wife Helen of Bulgaria standing right both crowned and holding sceptre, holding long patriarchal cross between them.
    Reference: Javanovic-11-36, Javanovic-46

Marie of Burgundy Flander.png
    LOWLANDS Flanders
    Marie of Burgundy (Marie de Bourgogne), 1477-1482
    AR Gros 1.62gm - 24mm
    Obv: Ornamented cross with BENEDIC AIA MEA DNO 1478. Rev: Entwined design, with MARIA DVCISSA BO COM FL. [has readable date 1478]
    Reference: Lev.II.35

12. Alegandron

NICE!!! Even though I do no collect Medievals, I really like your new collecting niche! Cool idea.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Didda Rani was queen of Kashmir in the later 10th century first with her husband Kshemagupta and later with a series of sons and other male relatives which she disposed of when convenient. She made Julia Maesa look like an amateur. All the coins of the period are similar save for the legends. The ones with her name alone are most common while the short lived unfortunate boys are scarcer. Most I have came from a large box at a Baltimore show where I selected each I saw as different and identified later. They are easier to read if a bit off center to the left on the reverse. Of course very few people care to read these.
    ok5210bb2655.jpg ok5491bb2773.jpg

Orielensis, RAGNAROK, Bing and 7 others like this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The countermark on the Serbian silver is of the Despotate of Karvuna, most likely applied in the 1380s to coins that circulated in that area.
    so you have a plus feature on that coin, kudos :)

15. ancientcoinguru

Thanks @seth77, I would never have figured this out on my own, thanks for spotting this!

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Much better photos ACG!

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Nae a woman yet, really a mere wee lass of four years auld whence this coin was struck in 1547:

[​IMG]

One of my most diminutive of Scots cunye this is a billon Penny struck early in the reign of Queen Mary of Scotland and is one of the select few coins from her reign bearing her portrait. Mary became queen at 7 days old, the youngest of four Scottish monarchs that ascended the throne at a very young age.

Laters on I will post more of Queen Mary's coinage.

18. RAGNAROK

19. ancientcoinguru

RAGNAROK likes this.
  20. Alegandron

I think you found a great new niche!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

RAGNAROK likes this.