Medieval Women

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientcoinguru, Mar 5, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

gregarious likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here are 3 jitals (Delhi and Budaun mints) of Raziya Sultana, who was Sultan of Delhi from 1236 to 1240. Her father Iltutmish was originally a Turkish slave, but had risen to the Sultanate since he was a great favourite of the first Sultan of Delhi, Aibak. Aibak's daughter was Raziya's mother. Iltutmish groomed his daughter for the Sultanate and designated her as his heir. The nobility rejected her at first, but their alternate choice was a disaster, and Raziya was permitted to assume the throne. Four years later, however, those same nobles overthrew her in their quest for greater power.

She is famous as one of the few women to assume sole rulership in an Islamic regime.

4.198.jpg

Orielensis, DonnaML, ycon and 11 others like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Orielensis, DonnaML, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

The closest one I have is a 1779 Russia 5 Kopeck issued under Catherine II. Far from being mediaeval.

DonnaML and gregarious like this.
  6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Also part II: Anna of Savoy ruled as Empress regent for her son Iohannes V between 1341 and 1347 and minted hyperpyra, basilika, stamena/assaria and probably tornesi during this period:

145242.jpg
    Anna as regent for Iohannes V, hyperpyron of Constantinople

131809.jpg Anna, basilikon of Constantinople

1841154.jpg
    Anna, stamenon of Constantinople

1758139.jpg
    Anna, tornese politikon

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Nice coins @FitzNigel, I especially like the Eleanor. I just started collecting, and I already see I need to upgrade:D

gregarious and FitzNigel like this.
  8. ancientcoinguru

Keep the coins coming, everyone! Since I just started collecting medieval women, it is wonderful to see examples of the coins -- and just about all of them are going on my wishlist.:happy:

gregarious and Severus Alexander like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Also part III:

Maude de Bourbon ruled as Maude II, Countess of Nevers between 1257 and her death in 1262 and minted deniers under her name:

1436888.jpg

RAGNAROK, Ajax, ro1974 and 9 others like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Also part IV:

Around the 1270-1280s Jeanne de Chatillon minted deniers as Countess of Chartres during her joint rule with her father Jean and afterwards until she sold her right in 1286 to Philippe le Bel.

797012.jpg

DonnaML, RAGNAROK, Ajax and 9 others like this.
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Also part V:

Henry VI von Hohenstaufen and Constance di Altavilla (d'Hauteville) minted together as Emperor and Empress of the HRE between 1195 and 1196/7 and afterwards, in 1197, Constance minted by herself in Messina.

955463.jpg
    Henry VI and Constance, denaro of Messina

860886.jpg
    Constance, sole reign, follaro of Messina 1197.

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Also part VI:

Florent d'Avesnes died in 1297 at the siege of Chateau Saint Georges in Arcadia and left his wife Isabelle de Villehardouin to rule Achaea as Princess and sole ruler until 1301. During this time she also minted deniers tournois:

2683839.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    DonnaML, RAGNAROK, Ajax and 8 others like this.
  13. ancientcoinguru

@seth77 I am so impressed with your collection and knowledge! Six parts, are there more to come?:D

gregarious likes this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you, but it's not my collection, I could never afford it. I'm just a numismatist with an interest in Medieval Europe. The pics I attached are from acsearch mostly.

Part VII:

Queens Giovanna I d'Angio/Jeanne I d'Anjou (1343-1382) and Giovanna II Durazzo-Anjou (1414-1435) of Naples also minted different denominations in gold, silver and billon, of which the most diverse and interesting are the billon denari:

694056.jpg
    Giovanna I denaro as Queen of Sicily and Jerusalem

2571341.jpg
    Giovanna II quattrino of L'Aquila

15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Last night I eventually succumbed to sleep, but here is another late medieval lady: Maria d'Aragon, as Queen of Sicily:

2068476.jpg

DonnaML, RAGNAROK, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  16. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

17. ancientcoinguru

@seth77, I appreciate you doing the research, and showing me so many medieval women coins:). I have no background in the medieval world, but I now have lots of ideas on where to start building my new collection.

RAGNAROK, seth77 and gregarious like this.
  18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Good luck and may you show us many interesting specimens :)

gregarious likes this.
  19. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Queen Urraca (April 1079 – 8 March 1126), called the Reckless, was Queen of León, Castile, and Galicia, and claimed the imperial title as suo jure Empress of All the Spains from 1109 until her death in childbirth, and Empress of All Galicia.

Wiki... :rolleyes::bag:

urraca.jpg

urraca_regina_A_tumbo.jpg

Orielensis, DonnaML, seth77 and 8 others like this.
  20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice! Good to see you back @RAGNAROK - I was worried we lost you

RAGNAROK likes this.
  21. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Traveling and working, mate... :banghead:;)

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted