Featured Medieval - The Grosso and the Fourth Crusade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Oct 21, 2016.

1. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Excellent read. I wonder how they came up with the name "grosso" for these coins. Grosso in Italian means large/big and these coin are not very big.

FitzNigel likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist Supporter

Compared to the debased deniers of the time (which I believe were then being called piccoli in contrast to grossi) they were larger. The piccoli had only 0.1 grams of silver, whereas the grossi had 2.2 grams. I wish I had an example to show, but I'm afraid I haven't come across one yet...

serafino and stevex6 like this.
  4. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

That explains it. Piccoli in Italian means little ones. Those coins must be paper thin.

5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Active Member

Venice was a Byzantine outpost until well into the Middle Ages. it is not surprising that the Byzantine coinage would be imitated by the Venetians and one can readily see the similarity of Byzantine gold and silver of the Crusading era to those of Venice. The coins are so similar that on two different occasions coin dealers tried to sell me these Grossos as Byzantine coins and one of them was not too happy when I pointed out the subtle differences as the difference in value is considerable.

6. Evgmgospel

Evgmgospel New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted