Featured Medieval - The Champagne Fairs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm ok with the idea of an Ancients and Medieval forum - it seems that collectors of ancients dabble in Medieval more frequently than collectors of modern world coins. So the collectors that focus on Medieval have more of an audience here than in the World Coins forum. That's just my gut feeling, I could be wrong.

I definitely fall into the category of a collector and student of ancient coins that occasionally dabbles in Medieval and even modern hammered coinage. It seems that those categories have more in common with the gestalt of ancient coins than they do with modern issues.

Also, superb write-up Nick! A wonderful, educational post. :)

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Not long ago World and Ancients were one board on CoinTalk. There weren't that many ancients collectors here, then Steve and many others migrated from another forum to CoinTalk. The volume of ancients posts rapidly increased, to the vexation of modern World collectors who saw their posts pushed down the "front page" and whose threads never seemed to have as much excitement or activity as the ancient coin threads. After much discussion the boards were separated and I think most people ended up happy with the split.

Deciding the cutoff date for ancient and "world" was problematic at first but most people stopped caring. People who are more active on the ancients board tend to post their medievals on the ancients board where their friends will see the coins, and vice versa. No matter what cutoff date you choose, there will be some coins/cultures that will be posted on the "wrong" board.

I don't have strong feelings about the matter.* I'll continue to read the thread of interest and skip the threads that aren't relevant to my current collecting tastes.

*Edited before posting because that statement isn't really true :oops:. I'd rather the medieval be lumped in with World simply because I'm not currently interested in medieval coins and would rather not dilute the Ancients board with posts I'm going to skip. It's not that big a deal though and my personal preference may be counter to the most sensible solution. I'll continue to love CoinTalk either way :).

Sorry, Fitzy-- your writeups are always excellent and I do read all of your posts... To an extent my lack of interest in medievals is self-protective. I can't afford to become enamored of another thousand years of coins!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My thinking on this matter is in pretty much accord with TIF. Even within the Ancients, there are some topics I just skip over because I have no interest. I like medieval just fine, but I have no plans to start collecting another genre. On a more practical side, I have no problems one way or the other.

Alegandron, TIF and Severus Alexander like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like TIF and I think she's super bright ... but I'd rather keep the Meds with the Ancients (we're all kinda freaky non-modern types)

=> the World and Modern collectors are also awesome, but they don't seem to have that same wonky chromosome that makes you want to go investigate "really old times"

=> I treat my sweet Lorraines the exact same way that I treat my awesome Syracuse honeys!! (like Princesses!)

:rolleyes:

:happy:

:bag:

8. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

And... errr... whit about a new CT forum exclusively dedicated to medieval coins? :bag:

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, maybe you're correct, Ragnarok? ... maybe they want to make a totally separate site for Meds? (I'd be fine with that ... but I'm betting that the traffic would be fairly slow)

... that's why I kinda like having the Meds with us ... I merely consider those threads as "part of the gang"

My bad => maybe the Med folks are frustrated by all of the ancient threads? ... oh, but I'd certainly go visit the Med site on a regular basis (especially when I buy a new sweet Lorraine)

Alegandron and RAGNAROK like this.
  10. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Don't everyone have fun at the fair at once!

Some seriously somber fairgoers. Medieval art is like that though.

Another great post, FitzNigel

Here's my only coin of this region:

thibaut-ii.jpg

French feudal denier of Count Thibaut II of Champagne.

Hrefn, Orfew, kaparthy and 10 others like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, love the toning on it.

12. Severus Alexander

So far, it looks like we have a few mild preferences for keeping medieval in the World forum, plus some strong preferences for renaming this one. Which puts the renaming option in the lead...

13. Severus Alexander

But of course this will be a biased sample, due to med lovers being more likely to look at this thread. Maybe someone with more credibility than new-member-me would like to post a main thread about this. @RAGNAROK?

14. Severus Alexander

Love the pic of that rockin' fair, @Nap... and the coin!

15. alde

alde Always Learning

Heck, I know people who think the 16th century in ancient. I say combine ancient and medieval. That's if I have a vote. Lol

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lets look at reversing the paradigm a little:

What defines a "Modern" coin? Last 200-300 years? 400 years? World Coins seem pretty much the same criteria: last 200-400 years?

Could Ancients and Medievals encompass up to the Modern and World coin era?

Just some thoughts...

LOL, OMG, I am a STAR??? I have been called MANY things throughout my career, usually as "the boss", I get called a LOT of other things...
    But, thank you! :D

RAGNAROK likes this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice @Nap ! As I was looking for the Henry denier provinois, I noticed the Thibauld deniers all had a clearer strike. I'm wondering if this is a product of faster production under the Henries because if the fairs, or just simple degrading..l

18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

As I've stated, my thoughts are in the production of the coins. I know there are modern coins were produced by hammering in the 19th century, but this is always the problem with periodization. Where to start and end. Ancient might be clear, modern might be clear, but where do we Middle people go??

RAGNAROK likes this.
  19. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Well, I love the Meds coins of this forum (I collect Celtic, Roman, enemies of Rome, Brits/Vikings, Irish, Crusades...:nurse::banghead:) and I'm really happy here whit all of ye . No problem at all! :) But I dont know if there should be some kind of chronological limit (..., Early?-High?-Late Middle Ages?, Fall of Constantinople 1453, Columbus 1492, ...??) :shy:

vikrav.jpg

:rolleyes:... I'm going to bed... sweet dreams... :rolleyes:;)

20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Is that your @RAGNAROK ? Congrats if so! The split in the circle near the raven's beak is rather odd. Have you found another die match to it? It just seems very distinctive!

21. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

That's a nice Anlaf Guthfrithson raven penny. I recognize it from the recent CNG sale of Andrew Wayne's collection, sold last month. Andrew had a remarkable collection of Anglo-Viking coins, maybe the best ever. Two coins of Eric Bloodaxe!

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted