Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

i think so far as we know, all Aquitainian coins were minted in Bordeaux. I think there’s a suspicion there might be other mints but I don’t think there is any way to tell

panzerman and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Here are a couple I won from Naumann's last auction. I don't do a lot with Byzantine other than anonymous folles, and Comnenan trachys and fractions. But I'm a pushover for Alexius I, and anything in my range with relatively complete legends. These are tetarterons of Alexius and John II Comnenus. I like how the one of Alexius echoes the Christ Pantokrator motif of the folles of Constantine IX, from as little s a generation before, in the mid-nnth century.
    ALEXIUS ALEXIOC I, TETARTERON,CHRIST ENTHRONED.jpg
    BYZANTINE, JOHN II COMNENUS TETARTERON.jpg

4. robp

robp Well-Known Member

A PAXS penny of Sudbury by the moneyer Aelfric with the characteristic large R in the moneyer's name. Sudbury was a small mint in East Anglia and a location which is routinely given incorrectly for coins of Southwark due to the latter's mint reading that is usually SUDB, where the D has a thorn.
    upload_2021-12-27_23-54-0.jpeg

Hrefn, talerman, Darius590 and 5 others like this.
  5. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

With this coin I finally complete all the Antiochian types of Crusader coins …..
    468E8C6E-8266-4375-A1B7-B6F38F3D8FC4.jpeg

Hrefn, talerman, GinoLR and 7 others like this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

--Really/ No, Really? ...Right, types versus variants (especially with the deniers, when 'variants' --cf. Metcalf-- are sometimes all you get to distinguish reigns). But Still....
    Anyway, that's Solid.

panzerman likes this.
  7. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

LOL :) Of course, I didn't mean all the countless variations.….. ;)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Sorry, wasn't concentrating and can't edit. The moneyer is Wulfric, not Aelfric

9. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Awesome coin.. I love Genghis coins..

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. Fun to have!

upload_2021-12-29_10-48-39.png

11. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

I am waiting to receive my final Genghis gold piece. One with his name to complete a set of Billon, Silver and Gold Genghis coins..:happy:

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Best movie depiction/ Omar Sharif 1965 _methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_0c96e392-835e-37c2-9fbd-1272962f4f4c.jpg

13. panzerman

Almohades/ Spain+N. Africa 8a7f9091f9045cdc6f1a1892ed2c8b99.jpg
    AV Dobla ND/ NM
    Muhammad ben Yaqub 1184-99

14. panzerman

Monday again...
    Tulunids/ Egypt/ Syria
    AV Dinar AH 291 Misr Mint/ citing Abbasid Caliph al-Muktafi
    Harun ibn Khumarawayh 896-904
    He was the fourth Tulunid Caliph, he left the affairs of state to his Vizier, and lived like a Pasha. Meanwhile, all this led to unrest amongst the Army. Taking advantage, the Abbasid Caliph invaded Syria. Tulunid forces there deserted/ allowing Abbasid armies to enter Egypt. This led to a mutiny and Harun was killed. arab-asian-empires-dinar-ah291-40-misr-41-1320223.jpg arab-asian-empires-dinar-ah291-40-misr-41-1320223.jpg

talerman, BenSi, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  15. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

Second issue early Edward I Irish farthing, Dublin mint. C832206D-2323-454F-9E51-D5308CDF3847.png

16. +VGO.DVCKS

Group lot I just bought; Kingdom of Jerusalem, Amalric /Amaury I, 1163-1174 (with Church of the Holy Sepulchre); Baldwin III, 1143-1163 (with Tower of David), two examples.
    CRUSADERS, AMAURY AND BALDWIN III X2, OBV..jpg
    CRUSADERS, AMAURY AND BALDWIN III X2, REV..jpg
    I recently fell into a book on the architectural history of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which put due emphasis on the major rebuilding during the reign of Amaury. @seth77 has noted this in some detail, but Amaury's shift from his older brother's Tower of David motif was clearly in commemoration of the fact. At that point I wanted a better example than I have, especially for the rendering of the Church. ...As a group lot, the price was right. The better Baldwin III might be the best one I have at this point.

talerman, Alegandron, BenSi and 5 others like this.
  17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Great lot, very representative with a "rough style" and a "smooth style" denier for Baldwin III, besides the obvious star the AMALRICVS denier.

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

Many thanks, @seth77. Without reading any (that's, Any) of the prefatory matter in my 1994 ed. of Malloy, is there more current research on the chronology of the two main styles?

19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is something accurate enough to give us the chronology we want, the common wisdom is still somewhere between the "rough style" series being the earlier Baldwin III coinage in the 1140s and the two styles indicate two different mints operating under Baldwin.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I missed last night but here is a treasure I picked up late last year. I bought this on a whim but I just loved the look of this little silver.

e4.jpg

Malta, Order of the Knights of St John. Emanuel de Rohan AR Tari. 1777. EMANUEL DE ROHAN M (both N's inverted), crowned arms / ✠ DI HOSPI ET S SEP HIER (date), T 1 between crosses, within wreath. Rastelli 64; KM 307.2. 0.93g, 18mm, 6h.

talerman, Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS and 5 others like this.
  21. panzerman

Nice! I have also one from this Grand master.... IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

Alegandron, talerman, Edessa and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted