Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Always liked these "irregular types" from the early part of the 1200s Antioch and their striking style -- check out that bulky almost space-age font A:

1902559_1620562200.jpg

This is the last issue of Bohemond IV in his first reign and with it the 'irregular' coinage ends. This coinage possibly started around 1201/3 and ended in 1216 with this type (Class J). According to M. Philips - The Roupen Hoard of Helmet Pennies of Antioch, The Numismatic Chronicle Vl. 165 (2005), pp. 249-276 (p. 276) this type was being minted when Roupen's coup succeeded in capturing Antioch in 1216. So a terminus ante quem for Class J (Ash) should be 1216.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's a little medieval Indian....

One of the more common rulers in this series but a real challange to find one with a full obverse legend! This one has nice detail even showing some of the facial features. An easy coin to identify with that 'KA' symbol always to the left.

Kalasa 1076-1089 AD (1st Lohara dynasty) Copper Kaserah 19mm (5.76gr)
    Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated facing in half lotus position, with Nagari legend 'Ka to left 'lasara' to right.
    Reverse- King standing facing and sacrificing at altar holding trident, with Nagari legend 'jadeva' bottom right.
    Nice full legend coin.

k with.jpg

4. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

Nice coin @seth77 !!!!
    Here is my plate coins from that article.
    E4045612-21F6-48A8-BD7F-7428A13237CB.jpeg
    Crusaders . Principality of ANTIOCH . Bohemond III or IV ( 1163-1216.)
    0.83g, 18 mm . Helmet denier ('Irregular') class J of Bohemond III/IV
    Obv. +BOAIIVIIDVS Helmeted head left
    Rev. +A.ITIOCII.IA Cross pattée, crescent in second angle .
    Metcalf 417-437
    The existence of die links with coins in the name of Roupen shows that the
    introduction of the annulet marked the end of the issue .
    Marcus Phillips 'The Roupen hoard of Helmet pennies of Antioch', Numismatic Chronicle 2005, pp 249-276 . Plate 34 - 331(this coin).
    Ex 'Roupen' hoard No 331

5E61CC5E-4014-45B4-B9D6-B4DA8834FEB1.jpeg
    Principality of ANTIOCH . Bohemond III ( 1163-1201.) . Ex 'Roupen' hoard
    0.80g, 17 mm . 'Helmet' denier class B/C ('mule') of Bohemond III (c1165?).
    Obv. +BOAMVNDVS Helmeted head left
    Rev. +ANTIOCHIA Cross pattée, crescent in second angle .
    Metcalf 372-373
    Marcus Phillips 'The Roupen hoard of Helmet pennies of Antioch', Numismatic Chronicle 2005, pp 249-276 . Plate 30 - 27(this coin).

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

This series is fun to collect and seems rarely properly attributed. My latest purchase was labelled "Queen Diddarani" and unless i am not getting it right - seems to me to be "Ananta Deva" 1028-1063 CE.
    upload_2021-6-20_19-45-42.png

6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

......Certainly is and a nice example too!

+VGO.DVCKS and Sulla80 like this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Since we’ve had a couple of Crusader issues, here’s one that is tangentially related:
    Med-07a-LCF-1194-Baldwin IX-M-1245.jpg Low Countries - Flanders
    Baldwin IX, r. 1194-1205
    Ghent mint, AR Mailles, 11.3 mm x 0.36 grams
    Obv.: +G+A+N+T Head left with helmet in circle of pellets, one lis in the helmet
    Rev.: B . COMES Ornamented cross with one pellet in each angle
    Ref.: Roberts 7344, de Wit 1245-6

Baldwin IX is also known as Baldwin I of the Latin Empire of Constantinople

ominus1, Hrefn, Marsyas Mike and 8 others like this.
  8. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

Extremely rare , very interesting and little-studied coin . I know only eleven examples , two of them are in my collection .

County of Tripoli. Anonymous copper coin , after 1266
    Metc. 560 / Schlumb. IV, 24 / CCS 28 / Sabine 332-342
    CFE3281A-5AA8-4F82-A597-C497363C9056.jpeg EDB1C462-403F-4F54-99D9-791568B9EF6C.jpeg

ominus1, Hrefn, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
  9. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

Today I’ll share a borderline medieval coin - Spanish Netherlands 1 Oord 1578
    AE18EDCC-B188-4386-AF91-4A488631B94B.png
    D391178B-08DF-4D3C-8FE0-B9163D38B5CD.png

10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Wow. @VD76, I'm still downoading the full gestalt of how late and correspondingly rare those are. Kind of amazing. ...Yeah, kind of. Congratulations both on having found them, and having found them the right home.
    ...Except, especially having taken all day to get here, I'm not done with the fan mail. @seth77, you're owed cordial thanks for your typically incisive observations on this interval in the Antioch series (my ostensible favorite; Bohemond iV-V, with Roupen in between), and your fluency in the recent journal literature.
    @Spaniard and @Sulla80, That's variously Some of the, or just The, Stuff. As ignorant of South Asian coins as I am (--thanks to the likes of you, all I know was learned right here), the nuances of stylization, where the primary motifs are concerned, Has to evoke French Feudal coins of a readily comparable interval. Not sure if the chelating techniques were remotely the same (in French Feudal, they were punches --an odd European anticipation of movable type), but the underlying consonances --not so much in terms of the original esthetic sensibilities as the ways in which, by means of the motifs, they were perpetuated, by means of similar, ongoing adaptation.
    @FitzNigel, your Baldwin IX is Terrific. Wish I had pics of mine. --Not that it's so much better, or something, mind you!
    ...Right, so I just landed this, from one of several reliable dealers on French ebay (whose facilite en anglais runs heavily to being better que mon en francais). It's a relatively early variant of the deniers of the Abbey of Souvigny, featuring the patron saint, Mayeul, a 10th-century Cluniac abbot who died in the abbey of Souvigny.
    ...Except, back to the chronology of the coins themselves, Not by Much, at least according to Duplessy: late 12th c., vs. the commoner subtype, with the narrower face, which he dates to the early 13th c. ...This is Duplessy 784A, 'variete avec oreilles.' ...Nope, that's what he said.
    ...Watch how thereverse legend, '+SILVINIACO,' both evokes a rural setting, from the (available) Latin, And eventually gets morphed, in French, as 'Souvigny.'
    ...Inviting the question, on a purely linguistic level: Why did the French mess with Latin to this extent? My only answer (apart from the intervening occupation by Germanic tribes) would be that, following half a millennium of Roman occupation, they kind of thought it was time to do whatever they --merci, mon ami-- wanted. ...Among the myriad languages I will need another life to learn, French is Waaay up there, vaguely on the top shelf. 2ND TRY, SOUVIGNY, DUPLESSY 784A, VDB, OBV..png SOUVIGNY, DUPLESSY 784A, VDB, REV..png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    ominus1, seth77, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A dubbele mijt from Johanna van Wezemaal of Rummen, ca. 1467-1474:

nether1.jpg

This is basically almost a counterfeit coinage, although issued by a legitimate authority in the so-called 'Mosan Seigneuries' (Maasland) using a Flemish blueprint as a model: the coinage of Philip of Burgundy (Filips de Goede 1419-1467), copying even his coat of arms.

ominus1, VD76, talerman and 5 others like this.
  12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I thought I would share something small and rather unassuming today:
    Med-12-IVen-1192-Enrico Dandolo-D-3625.jpg Italy - Venice
    Enrico Dandolo, r. 1192-1205
    AR Denaro, 13.66 mm x 0.4 grams
    Obv.: +S MARCVS around small cross
    Rev.: +ENRIC DVX around small cross
    Ref.: MEC 12-1004; De Wit 3625

Hrefn, ominus1, VD76 and 5 others like this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

...Interesting pick, @seth77. ...Copying the coat of arms? the sheer nerve of some people....

14. +VGO.DVCKS

Very cool, @FitzNigel. I've wanted one of Enrico Dandolo for a good while.

FitzNigel likes this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Obviously I would prefer a grosso, but this was more in my price range...

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Philip of Burgundy: "Yes, you can copy my homework but change some things so the teacher doesn't figure it out..."
    Joanna of Wezemaal: "Sure thing" [Proceeds to copy everything exactly]

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

LOL :<}

18. +VGO.DVCKS

...Making it that much more to the point, from here, to want a denaro.
    ...Except, with thanks for your implicit suggestion, here's my earliest (holed) grosso, which hasn't been posted for a minute.
    COINS, VENICE, P. ZIANI, GROSSO.jpg
    Pietro Ziani, Doge 1205-1229.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Johndakerftw, Spaniard, VD76 and 2 others like this.
  19. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

This arrived today, a silver denier of Lyon, circa 1200-1260 AD. This coin proudly parades the fact that Lyon, then Lugdunum, was the first seat of a Christian bishop in Gaul. I erroneously believed the first bishop of Lyon was Irenaeus, and I was reviewing his Wikipedia entry in conjunction with cataloguing this coin. Thus I learned Irenaeus had a predecessor in the episcopate of Lugdunum, named Saint Pothinus, who was martyred by an unruly crowd during the usually tolerant reign of Marcus Aurelius. And oddly enough, today June 28th is Irenaeus’ feast day.
    upload_2021-6-28_21-49-41.jpeg upload_2021-6-28_21-50-4.jpeg

20. +VGO.DVCKS

That's a really sweet example, @Hrefn, from a dealer who I can heartily recommend.
    ...The issue has to evoke the contemporaneous episcopal deniers of Vienne, with the reverse legend: "+MAXIMA GALL," suggesting that the archbishopric was the highest in (that part of) Gaul.
    And, Rats, my extant example was bought too long ago to have pictures, but here's one from ACsearch. (By way of a .cgb auction going back to 2010 --when French feudal was still a thing with them.)
    902984.m.jpg

21. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

At first I wanted to share my new denier of Bohemond , but decided to post something different for today's Medieval Monday :) - Crusader lead seals from my collection .

E1F6FAE6-F162-42FE-A896-747CD60D6E40.jpeg
    Antioch. Uncertain, 12th century lead seal .
    28 mm, 10.12 g
    [SAN]CTVS PETRVS... Half-length figure of Saint Peter.

[PRINCE]PS ANTIOCH... Prince on horseback galloping to the left, holding a shield and spear.

FB7B4E65-FA92-41B0-860A-D1C40E73E536.jpeg

Lead seal of Bernard of Valence, Latin patriarch of Antioch, 1100-1135.
    24 mm, 8.85 g
    S / PE-T/RV/S - IGILLV[M ... SANCT]I PETRI
    Nimbate facing bust of St. Peter, holding cross in his right hand and key in his left hand.
    +BERN-ARDV..PAT[RIAR]CHAANTIOCHENI
    Bust of Bernard holding a long cross and a book of Gospels

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted