Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here is one I haven't posted before. Its from the time when the Delhi Sultanate from North India took over the Pandyan Kingdom of Madurai during the Pandyan Civil War. The Madurai Sultanate eventually declared independence from the Delhi Sultanate. I am certain @JayAg47 would enjoy this one...

Sultans of Madurai: Jalal Al-Din Ahsan Shah (AH 734-740) AR ⅓ Tanka? (G&G-MD3)

Obv: أحسن شاه ٧٣٨ (ahsan shah 738)
    Rev: الحسيني (al-husaini)

GGMD3.jpg

talerman, BenSi, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Here is someone to oppose that impudent Lancastrian nephew Henry VI (with the assistance of Jeanne d'Arc!).

Charles VII, blanc a la couronne
    2.86 gm 25mm
    KAROLVS FRANCORVM REX (Charles King of France)
    SIT NOME DNI BENEDICT (Blessed be the name of the Lord)
    Duplessy 519; Roberts 3005
    Reigned (more or less) 1422 - 1461

Charles VII obv.jpg Charles VII rev.jpg

talerman, BenSi, Cucumbor and 12 others like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Oh, My. @Quant.Geek, this has to be one of, What, maybe the 2 1/2 best examples I've ever seen. Hearty Felicitations!!!

Edessa and Quant.Geek like this.
  5. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Henry III class 1b long cross penny of Canterbury
    upload_2020-9-15_8-48-18.jpeg

6. +VGO.DVCKS

Brilliant, @robp. I had to check North to figure out the reverse. Great stuff!!!

7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

CNG has been selling a few of these recently. The prices they have been getting make me glad I bought mine when I did.

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's tuesday now, hope it's not too late for some french ....

[​IMG]
    Philippe IV "Le Bel" (1285-1314) - Gros tournois à l'O rond
    Atelier de Lille ? (2 petits points a droite du lis superieur du revers)
    + BNDICTV SIT NOME DNI NRI DEI IhV XPI dans le cercle exterieur, +PHILIPPVS REX dans le cercle interieur, croix au centre
    TVRONVS CIVIS + dans le cercle interieur, chatel tournois au centre, bordure de douze fleurs de lis a l'exterieur
    4.13 gr
    Ref : Ciani # 203

[​IMG]
    Charles VI (1380-1422) - Blanc guénar

Ref : Ciani # 506

[​IMG]
    Charles VII (1422-1461) - Ecu d'or
    3° emission de 1424, atelier de Toulouse (annelet sous la cinquieme lettre)
    Croisette sur etoile initiale, KAROLVS : DEI : GRATIA : FRANCORVM : REX, Ecu de France couronné
    + XPC : VINCIT : XPC : REGNAT : XPC : IMPERAT, croix arquée, evidée et fleudelisée, cantonnée de quatre coronelles
    3.76 gr, 28 mm
    Ref : Ciani # 617

Q

BenSi, TheRed, lordmarcovan and 10 others like this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I’ll be forgiving, since this is your first submission. But make sure your coins are on time for next Monday! :D

+VGO.DVCKS and Cucumbor like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

...Shoot, @Cucumbor, I wanted to 'see' your gros tournois with ones of Louis IX and Philippe III (effectively identical). ...I love how the reverse evokes a rose window. The issue began from 1266, just as La Sainte-Chapelle was being finished. And I like how the 'castle' of deniers tournois was continued on that much larger of a scale. A little like seeing a familiar logo on the side of a truck.

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. Cucumbor

Ouch !
    Lucky me....

:) Q

FitzNigel and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

While I didn’t intend to stay up past midnight my time, it appears I did, so I’ll get Medieval Monday rolling!

my newest acquisition comes courtesy of @lordmarcovan, and also required a little break-out party:
    0545B263-63B6-4565-BDC5-2A0BCDF6F567.jpeg
    01FBAC9F-3AF2-4C91-9559-E0130AAE89A4.jpeg
    Med-17-LoM-1406-Civic Issue-G-8932.jpg Loraine - Metz
    Civic Issue, 1406-1588
    AR Gros, 25.84 mm x 2.5 grams
    Obv.: S✼STEPh P ROThO✼m, bare-headed nimbate, Saint Stephen kneeling and praying to the hand of God, heraldic shields on either side
    Rev.: BNDICTV ◦ SIT NOME ◦ DNI ◦ NRI ◦ IHV ◦ XP outside, GRO SSV S✼M ETE inside, long cross patée
    Ref.: Roberts 8932, PCGS 39640150
    Ex. Lordmarcovan from Cointalk, Ex. Künker am Dom MA-Shop
    Note: Slight obverse scratches

talerman, Magnus87, BenSi and 11 others like this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

@FitzNigel, that is an Awesome St. Stephen of Metz. ...How good? Good enough that I'll spare you the otherwise obligatory Grateful Dead.

Edessa and FitzNigel like this.
  14. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a nice example! These were struck for a very long time – I got the early modern succesor issue here:
    Frühe Neuzeit – Altdeutschland – Metz, Groschen, Flon 749.png
    Metz, Imperial City, AR gros, after 1588 AD. Obv: ·S·STEPHA·+·PROTH·M; St. Stephen kneeling l. in prayer between two coats of arms, hand of God above. Rev: BNDICT·SIT·NOM·DNI·IHV·X; GROSSVS·METE; cross with four stars. 24mm, 2.13g. Rev: Flon p. 749.

And to keep it medieval, here is another St. Stephen. A favorite coin of mine:
    MA – Deutschland etc., Halberstadt, Gero von Schermbke, Brakteat, Hlg. Stephan.png
    Bishopric of Halberstadt, under Gero von Schermbke/von Schochwitz, AR bracteate penny, 1169–1177 AD. Obv: + S–STEPHANVSPROTOMARTI; bust of St. Stephen facing between three stones and star. Rev: negative design. 25mm, 0.83g. Ref: Berger 1324; Slg. Bonhoff 483.

VD76, talerman, Alegandron and 11 others like this.
  15. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

Some couple of medievals for monday thread :)

Medievel Natur_2.jpg

16. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Edward IV London ryal (10 shillings) with initial mark long cross fitchee, struck at the end of his first reign - so 1469-70. Blunt & Whitton X, North 1549, SCBC 1951.

ex-
    SCMB 9/1949 G862
    G V Doubleday 55, Glendining 20/11/1961
    Rasmussen list 27, no. 34

upload_2020-9-21_8-28-50.jpeg

17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Raoul de Clermont-Nesle was one of the generals who followed Louis IX to Tunis in the Eighth Crusade, and later on he served kings Philip III and IV against different revolts in the realm, and most importantly in the Flemish Wars.
    He died in the Battle of the Golden Spurs trying to squash the Flemish revolt in 1302 at Courtrai, together with his brother Guy and Robert II d'Artois.

He held the titles of Seigneur de Nesle (1268-1302), Viscount of Chateaudun (1268-1293/1302), Grand Chamberlain of France (1283-1302), Constable of France (1285-1302).

raoul 2.jpg
    AR15mm, 0.46g, billon obole tournois, minted at Chateaudun, cca. 1290.
    + RADVFVS VICONS; cross pomettee, dot in 2nd quarter
    CASTR + I DVNI (legends starting at 7 o'clock); Chateau tournois fleurdelise surmounted by cross, standing over crescent with dot inside.
    Boudeau 258, Poey d'Avant 1886 p 258, Pl. XXXIX 9, Duplessy 517, Legros 1173.

At the Chateau Chateaudun, his possesion de jure uxoris with Alix de Dreux, were minted billon deniers and oboles tournois in his name, until around 1290/93(?). He ruled as Viscount of Chateaudun with Alix until her death in 1293, after which he served as regent for their minor son Guillaume.

Similar specimen here.

VD76, talerman, Alegandron and 12 others like this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Some big golden guns just came out!

+VGO.DVCKS and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

GerAug128803.jpg
    Augsburg
    1288-1302

Wolfhard von Roth-Wackernitz. Bracteate.

Obverse: Bust of the bishop from the front with mitra bicornis, crook and book in beaded stripes and 8 sheets

St. 94. Kestner- 2656

Loong Siew, VD76, talerman and 13 others like this.
  20. Cucumbor

I like mondays better this way

A worn but readable Charles I shilling :

[​IMG]
    Shilling, 5th bust, tun (1636-1638)
    Ref : Spink # 2794

A François I testoon :

[​IMG]
    Francois I° (1515-1547) - Teston du Dauphiné deuxieme type - Ref : Ciani # 1141v
    Atelier de Romans (point secret sous la deuxième lettre, R couronnée au revers)
    + (triangle) FRANCISCVS.DEI.GRA.FRANCOR.REX (triangle) buste cuirassé et couronné a droite
    + (triangle) SIT.NOMEN.DNI.BENEDICTVM.R.(Mm) (triangle). Ecu ecartelé de France et Dauphiné. Grande F sur l'ecartelé (après le 8 octobre 1528, date à laquelle une lettre F brochant sur l'écartelé fut ajoutée sur les testons (source CGB VSO 09/1067))
    9,25 gr - 26/29 mm
    Ref : Ciani # 1141v

A unique that year (to date) Dombes pistole minted for Louis II de Montpensier AD 1579 :

[​IMG]
    Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582) - Atelier de Trevoux
    + LVDO . P . DOMBARVM . D . MONTISP, Ecu de Bourbon couronné
    + DNS . ADIVTOR . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1579, Croix feuillue
    6.54 gr
    Ref : Date inédite : Divo Dombes -, PA -, Mantellier -, Boudeau -, Sirand -, Friedberg -

Q

talerman, Alegandron, BenSi and 10 others like this.
  21. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Add a bit of Indian/Kashmir spice....
    Jagadeva 1199-1212/3 AD
    Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 17mm (5.40gr)
    Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated
    Reverse- King facing
    JAGA.jpg

talerman, Alegandron, BenSi and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted