Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@seth77, I'm liking the etymological correspondence between pugesa and the better known pougeoise, most conspicuous in the AE issues of the Frankish Levant of the 12th and 13th centuries, especially the county of Tripoli and the principality of Antioch.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

...Except, Woops, it's still Monday in this part of the world.
    This happened on American ebay between Christmas and New Year's. Yes, I have this history of snarky comments about these people. But this is one instance of making the pathological ignorance of sellers work for you. ...Thank you, that many of us have done this, in more and less similar contexts. It was priced for Exactly the same as all of the other, equally underattribed (and otherwise overpriced) stuff was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Seigneurie de Celles, Robert I, denier bleso-chartrain /chinonais, c. 1178-1189.
    Obv. Bleso-chartrain profile, 'semble a celles de Saint-Aignan.'
    Rev. +ROB['] DE CELE. (Duplessy 611; the earlier of two listed variants. --The similarity of both subtypes, from St.-Aignan and Celles, to their shared prototypes from the neighboring county of Blois, is unmistakable.)
    ...From this point, we're done with the numismatics, for a minute, and get to venture a little further into the weeds of the historical context. (High boots.) The main project was to figure out who this guy was.
    The first thing I ran smack into was that, as a historical feudal polity, 'Celles' defies easy finding. Online, or in available references in print. (Mostly about the reign of Philippe II, and all in Englsih.)
    ....And, if you were me, this might be where you would need otherwise humiliating references, running to Roberts (cf. 5133 for Duplessy's variant, 611A), and, worse yet, French Wiki for where, what, and for whom this place was.
    Turns out that en francais, the prevailing modern orthography for 'Celles' is 'Selles.' French Wiki to the rescue:
    fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Selles-sur-Cher
    From there, it was relatively easy to find the operant 'Robert de Celles.' ...Even where you might want to. Including Medieval Lands, the invaluable online reference for European genaelogy. Where the author, Charles Cawley, unfailingly cites published primary sources, along with conspicuously responsible secondary ones.
    https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/chamsensjoi.htm#_Toc493315913
    Except that, the weirdness is that this guy got this relatively minor segneurie at the beginning of his life, and it was of so little importance that mostly No one paid any attention to it. Starting with him.
    Yeah, well, Anyway, That was fun. ...And, Yep, on this coast, it's still very, very, Thank You (--all of these demographic stereotypes are involuntarily taking up otherwise valuable brain space--), Monday evening.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    talerman, svessien, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A Robert de Celles is a fantastic find.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I love this one! Thanks for sharing. I have quite a few medieval coins, if I can get a chance to take pictures I will share.

+VGO.DVCKS, Alegandron and FitzNigel like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. This is ex: @Sallent whom had/has an excellent eye when he was very active on CT. He was changing his collection focus, and I really liked the coin.

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Where is Sallent?

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I got the impression he was selling his collection to focus on astronomy and may now be out. I don’t know though - @John Anthony was selling a lot of his stuff, so maybe he knows

9. +VGO.DVCKS

Thank you!!! Took me completely by surprise. There I was, going through Roberts' two pages of bleso-chartrains, and I promise you, at least one double-take was involved.

seth77 likes this.
  10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Once more, it's Monday where I live!

Here is an 8th century Umayyad dirham. If you are, like me, a historically interested medieval collector not specializing in Islamic coinage, this probably is one of the five to ten Islamic types you nonetheless want to have in your collection. Not only was this dirham minted during the first and arguably most important Islamic dynasty, it also represents a type of coin that widely circulating in early medieval Western Europe:

Orient, MA – Umayyaden in Damaskus, Hisham, Dirham 117 AH.png
    Umayyad Caliphate, under Hisham, AR dirham, 735/6 AD (117 AH), Wasit mint. Obv: beginning of kalima, mint-date-formula around. Rev: Surah 112 and IX, 33. 30mm, 2.91g. Ref: Album 137.

11. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Henry II class 1b1 short cross penny of Northampton. WILLELM ON NOR
    upload_2021-1-11_12-29-54.jpeg

12. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Henry II Tealby class B1 penny of Ipswich. NICOL ON GIPEV
    upload_2021-1-11_12-32-24.jpeg

VD76, svessien, +VGO.DVCKS and 9 others like this.
  13. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Harold II penny of Wilton. AELFPOLD ON PILTV
    upload_2021-1-11_12-34-58.jpeg

VD76, Egry, svessien and 10 others like this.
  14. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Series F Anglo-Saxon sceat series-f-1a.jpg

VD76, svessien, +VGO.DVCKS and 8 others like this.
  15. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Series L Anglo-Saxon sceat
    series-l-1b.jpg

VD76, svessien, +VGO.DVCKS and 9 others like this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

AV Franc a pied ND (April 20/1365) Paris Mint
    Charles V Valois "Le Sage" 1365-80
    He succeeded the incompetent Jean II "Le Bon" captured following his loss at Poitiers in 1356/ died in English captivity in 1364. Charles was a good monarch, winning back much of the territory lost under Jean II. He died in 1380, an was succeeded by the buffoon Chares VI "Le Fol" charles-v-franc-pied-1090003-XL.jpg

VD76, svessien, +VGO.DVCKS and 7 others like this.
  17. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

denar of Vladisau ll, (with Diocleatian).. king of Bohemia 1471-1516, Hungary & Croatia,1490-1516, son of Elizabeth of Habsburg & king Casmir IV & father of king Louis ll of Hungary Dioclectian   Vladislaus ll 001.JPG Dioclectian   Vladislaus ll 003.JPG

Attached Files:

18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

My first coin from the Normans of Southern Italy:
    Med-14-ISic-1166-William II-Fol-Messina-3811.jpg Norman Italy - Sicily
    William II, r. 1166-1189 A.D.
    Messina Mint, AE Follaro, 17.23mm x 1.7 grams
    Obv.: + [OPERATAT IN VR]BE MESSANE outside ᵒ / REX W / SCOVS in center (OV ligate)
    Rev.: Arabic legend "al'malik / Ghulyalim / al-thani" (King William 2nd) in center, "bi-amr al-malik al-musta'izz" around edge
    Ref.: NCKS 366a, MEC 14.401, De Witt 3811

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Quite a while since I posted in this thread as I didn't have anything new to add. But I have been lucky enough at the last Leu auction to grab my main target there

362-florin-b.jpg
    FRANCE, Royal. Jean II le Bon (the Good), 1350-1364. Florin d'or - Montpellier, 1358.
    +FRA-NTIA Large ornate lily.
    S•IOHA-NNES•B• Saint John the Baptist standing facing, raising his right hand in benediction and holding cross-tipped scepter in his left.
    20 mm, 3.47 g, 7 h
    Duplessy #346, Ciani #362

Q

Chris B, FitzNigel, Bing and 6 others like this.
  20. +VGO.DVCKS

Stumbled onto the .jpgs of this while looking for something else.
    COINS, IBERIA, TAIFA OF VALENCIA, AL-MALIK, HALF DINAR.JPG
    Andalusia: Taifa of Valencia. Fractional dinar of Al-Malik, 1063-1065 ACE. An early contemporary of El Cid, who captured Valencia three decades later.

VD76, talerman, FitzNigel and 4 others like this.
  21. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Two horrible little coppers of Mytilene-Lesbos under the rule of the Gattilusio family and suzerainty of the Palaiologoi.

Francesco II Gattilusio as Duke of Mytilene, ca. 1396-1400:

francesco.JPG

Iacopo Gattilusio as Lord of Mytilene, ca. 1406 and after:

iacopo.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted