Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

@Spaniard, are you breaking up our Islamic theme??!!? Got to set it back in course ;):D

Umayyad Caliphate, al-Andalus: Hisham II ibn al-Hakam, 1st reign (366-399 AH / 976-1009 CE) AR Dirhem, Qurtubah Mint (Album-354.2)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Quant.Geek......That's a very nice looking coin!
    Jaume II Dinero 1291-1327 AD
    Obverse- Crowned portrait facing left..BARQVINONA
    Reverse- Long cross..IA CO BR EX
    Barcelona Cru.v.s 340.1;)
    jaume 2.jpg

4. Quant.Geek

:D

Aragón: Jaime II el Justo (1291-1327) BI Dinero, Barcelona (ME-1845; Crusafont 180-3)

Obv: +:IACOBVS: REX:; Crowned bust left
    Rev: B´AQINONA; Cross pattée; three pellets and annulet in alternating quarters

[​IMG]

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Spaniard, a terrific example! I collect some of this too, but only to Alfonso X, and few enough of them are comparable to this.

Spaniard and Quant.Geek like this.
  6. Quant.Geek

Samanid: Mansur I (961-976 CE) AR Multiple Dirham Mule, NM, ND (Album-
    1465/Album-1465A)

[​IMG]

7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Last one for today.....
    Spain, Castile and León..Sancho IV 1284-1295 Cornado 0.81gr..Burgos mint.
    Obverse...SANCII REX...Crowned bust facing left..3 dots in the crown.
    Reverse...CASTELLE LEGIONIS...Three towered castle surmounted by a cross rising from the centre tower with B/* either side of cross..Arched door.
    Bautista-427 Variant.
    san.jpg

8. +VGO.DVCKS

...Okay, since people are posting more than one example, here's one. COINS, IBERIA, ALFONSO VI, 1B.JPG
    Alfonso VI, King of Castile and Leon, 1073-1109. Dinero of Toledo, 1st major type (MEC v. 6: Pl. 18 and p. 212).
    Obv. (From 1 o'clock:) ANFVS REX.
    Rev. Modified 'Chi-Rho' monogram; +TOLETVO:
    I like how 'Toletuo' is nearer to the Arabic name (as I've randomly seen it transcribed) than the later medieval Latin, 'Toletum.' --If that's reducible to Latin grammar, I'll be embarrassed!

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Fun thread with some amazing coins!
    My latest, at the very tail end of medieval, is Shakespearean:artist::pompous:
    IMG_4437.jpg
    Henry V - London - Long Cross Halfpenny. 1413-1422 AD. Class D. Obv: facing bust with broken annulet each side of crown and HENRIC REX ANGL legend. Rev: long cross and pellets dividing CIVI TAS LON DON legend for London mint. S. 1795; N. 1410.0.49 grams.Found Romney Marsh, Kent area, 2000s.
    Very fine; crack to flan edge. Ex Timeline

In the same purchase I also recieved this early Anglo-Saxon medi-beauty:
    IMG_4435.jpg read more about it if you're soooooo curious:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ve...me-here-and-pick-up-the-anglish-cause.366668/

ancient times, BenSi, IanG and 12 others like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

Brilliant halfpenny, @Ryro.

Spaniard and Ryro like this.
  11. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Edward IV 2nd reign (1471-1485) half groat with mm. Annulet. Not the best with a weak face, but 2nd reign London half groats are all rare, irrespective of mark, and this one has a little story to add.
    upload_2020-9-15_1-20-34.jpeg

The coin also came with a very helpful ticket.
    upload_2020-9-15_1-22-36.png

The note not in Hawkins refers to the fact that the initial mark was not known to Edward Hawkins in his book Silver Coins of England (1841). The reference to Sotheby 21.5.74 refers to the sale of the Hugh Howard collection which ran from 20-22/5/1874. Howard was an Irish collector who died in 1737 and whose collection lay untouched for the next 137 years.

See FAW 449 refers to the Walters (1913) collection where another (better) example was sold and one in Clarke Thornhill must refer to an example that passed to the BM in CT's bequest, as there was no example in his sale of residual items held in May 1937.

This coin ex-
    H Howard (d.1737), Sotheby, 20-22 May 1874, lot 40
    H Webb and family, collection bt Baldwin c1938
    R C Lockett, Glendining, 11-17 October 1956, lot 632
    Lord Stewartby, Spink sale 246, 28 April 2017, lot 1941a

12. Quant.Geek

Lets keep going! The day is not over yet in the east coast. Marching Eastward....

Imperial China, Southern Song: Kai Xi (1205-1207) FE 2 Cash, Tongan Mint (Hartill-17.529) Emperor Ning Zong (1195-1224)

Obv: 開(开)禧通宝 Kai Xi tong bao
    Rev: 同 Tong above. Tongan mint, Anhui. Numbers for the year of casting below. 三 san (Year 3 - 1203)

[​IMG]

13. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

OK, one more...

Italy, Papale (Stato pontificio). Urban V (Guillame de Grimoard), AD 1362-1370. AR Bolognino (18mm, 1.11g, 2h). Rome mint. Obv: VRB PP QNTS; Mitred bust facing. Rev: IN ROMA; U R B I in center around central pellet. Ref: Muntoni 3; Berman 198. Ex Artemide Aste.

zzzx.jpg

talerman, BenSi, TuckHard and 9 others like this.
  14. Quant.Geek

Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577)

Obv: ነገሠ አረመሐ (neguš ’ArmaH; King Armah); Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter
    Rev: ፈሠሐ ለየከነ ለአሐዘበ (feššeHá la-yekun la-’aHzáb; Let there be joy to the people); Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring

[​IMG]

15. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Edward II (1307-1327) class 11b1 penny of Bury St. Edmunds. From the Amble (Northumberland) hoard. Struck early in the reign.
    upload_2020-9-15_1-54-18.jpeg

16. Quant.Geek

Shailendra Dynasty, Java: Anonymous (ca. 7th-10th centuries) AV Massa (Mitchiner-723; Wicks-100)

Obv: Nagari त (ta)
    Rev: incuse lingam

[​IMG]

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

EDDIE I

[​IMG]
    England
    Edward I
    1272-1307
    AR Penny
    19mm 1.3g
    Class 10c 1302-1310
    Canterbury mint
    facing star -
    Voided long cross 3 pellets quarters
    North 1040
    Ex: @Mat

18. Quant.Geek

Towards the end of the Medieval Period, if this counts...

House of Lancaster: Henry VI (1422-1461) 1st Reign, AR Groat, Calais Mint (North-1424; SCBC-1836)

Obv: HENRIC DI GRA REX ANGLIE Z FRANC; Crowned facing bust within tressure of arches; lis at lower cusps; annulets flanking neck
    Rev: POSVI DEVM ADIVTORE MEVM; VILLA CALISIE; Long cross pattée with trefoil of pellets in each quarter; annulets in second and third trefoils

[​IMG]

Now, time to do the dishes...:(

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Gorgeous coins @Quant.Geek! I need to pace myself for future Monday’s, but I’ll share this one (which is difficult to photograph since its concave)
    Med-14-INSic-1155-William I-Fol-Messina-338.jpg Norman Italy - Sicily
    William I, r. 1154-1166 (1155-1156)
    Messina mint, AE Follaro, 14.15 mm x 1.27 grams
    Obv.: ΜΡ ΘΥ (Mother of God). Madonna with Christ Child
    Rev.: Cufic legend, “Minted in Messina the year fifty and five hundred.” surrounding REX / ●W●
    Ref.: NCKS 338, MEC 14.289A

VD76, talerman, BenSi and 10 others like this.
  20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

....coin of Al-Rashid (one pic is upsidedown i think) 786-809...the Arabian night guy..:) greek tradedollar al-Rashid 786-809ce 021.JPG greek tradedollar al-Rashid 786-809ce 023.JPG

BenSi, Alegandron, TuckHard and 9 others like this.
  21. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Particularly like this coin type. Still looking for just the right one.

+VGO.DVCKS and Quant.Geek like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted