Featured Medieval France: Herbert, Count of Maine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I am a sucker for European medieval coins, especially western European, so I had to have this coin at the price it was at. The style is rather crude and the strike isn't the best but the condition itself is nearly flawless. This actually happens to be my first post-Carolingian medieval French coin, after the split of the Frankish Empire into the kingdoms of West and East Francia, which later developed into France and Germany, respectively.

This coin was struck by Count Herbert of Maine (a region in northern France). I think this coin, not being struck in the name of the king at the time (Robert II of the Capetians), is a testament to the feudal, decentralized nature of France at the time, when many local counts and dukes pretty much had free reign to do what they pleased as long as they recognized the king.

Herbert's date of birth is not recorded but he was the son of the previous Count of Maine, Hugh III, and succeeded his father in 1017. Herbert often participated in the various wars between counts at this time, solidifying his reputation as a great warrior, and he earned his nickname "Wakedog" from his conflicts with the Angevins.

One of Herbert's biggest enemies was Avesgaud, Bishop of Le Mans. They often fought one another and during the course of their conflict Avesgaud excommunicated Herbert. Shortly after the excommunication was lifted and peace was established between them, but this hardly lasted, and later one of Avesgaud's castles was besieged and destroyed.
    Herbert also personally fought against his former feudal lord and the Count of Anjou, Fulk III Nerra, who was able to capture Herbert through deception and consequently take over the County of Maine. Herbert was released after much humiliation at the hands of Count Fulk and only given back some of his former lands.

Herbert died in 1035.
    (I couldn't find anything else about him online unfortunately)

Herbert I, Count of Maine, Kingdom of France
    AR denier
    Obv: +COMES CENOMANIS ("Count of Maine"), monogram of Herbert within circle
    Rev: +SIGNVM DEI VIVI ("sign of the living God"), cross with pellets and letters in corners, all within circle
    Mint: Le Mans (struck 1017-1035 AD)
    Ref: B., 170; P.A., 1548; Legros, 568; D., 398

[​IMG]

Europe circa 1000 AD:

[​IMG]

County of Maine:
    [​IMG]

These soldiers aren't French but here's how they more-or-less would have looked like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    vlaha, RaceBannon, Craig Z and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat piece. Still interesting history on the little things.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yeah, I've noticed you've been collecting more Medieval coins. Nice coin and an excellent write-up.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Jango => that's a very cool medieval addition, my friend (it looks quite similar to your Carolingian examples) ... you're a real fan of that coin-look, eh? (me too)

Ummm, I don't have an example from Hebert I's time, but I do have a sweet double-denier from the reign of Theobald II ...

LORRAINE, Theobald II, Duke of Lorraine
    Double denier, AR Gros

1303-1312 A.D.
    Diameter: 16 mm
    Weight: 0.87 grams
    Obverse: + T - DV-X. LOTOR – EGIE. The Duke of Lorraine (in armour), riding caped steed to the right, carrying spear in right hand and shield in left
    Reverse: MONETA D - E NANCEI. Downward sword, cutting the legend at the top and bottom, between two Avalerions/Alerions

Lorraine Duche de Lorraine Thiebaut II.jpg

tobiask, RaceBannon, Craig Z and 10 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great history lesson and great coin. :)

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great write up VK, and and awesome coin. sweet detail, no flattened spots, the flans in good shape...very nice.

here is a picture of a medieval french soldier..

[​IMG]

8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments!

9. tookeytaylor

tookeytaylor New Member

Really well delivered! I enjoyed the information. Thank you

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome, tookeytaylor

Curious, my new coin-friend => are you an ancient coin collector?

:rolleyes:

11. Craig Z

Craig Z Member

Very awesome coin! You mind telling how much a coin like that is worth? Would love to purchase one!

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

one million dollars.jpg

... a lot ...

approx $300 (give or take a hundred bucks if you're patient) ... sadly, I'm not

Craig Z likes this.
  13. Craig Z

Craig Z Member

Wow $300 is a bit much for one coin IMO but the one you have is just plain out awesome! Totally worth it ~~ Where can I find a coin like yours? And more specifically, any French medieval coins?? I tend to find an abundance of medieval English hammereds, but come across very few French for some reason.

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Craig Z likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do not generally collect these, but bought this coin you might find interesting a couple of months ago on Ebay:
    FRANCE, FEUDAL, Valence, Bishops of Valence.jpg
    FRANCE, FEUDAL, Valence, Bishops of Valence and Die,
    Denier
    OBVERSE: Stylized angel facing, +VRBS VALENTIAI
    REVERSE: Cross annulet in fourth quadrant, +S APOLLI NARS
    Struck at Valence, FR, 1157-1276
    1.18g, 19mm
    Boudeau 1021

Craig Z likes this.
  16. Craig Z

Craig Z Member

stevex6 likes this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My pleasure ... please post it here, when you score your target!!

cheers

cheers.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted