Featured Medieval Cut Pennies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Jul 31, 2015.

1. HammeredCoin

HammeredCoin Active Member

I am surprised they only gave this a 15. Nice little example!

tobiask likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

welcome aboard hammeredcoin, interesting post about these coins!

HammeredCoin and stevex6 like this.
  4. HammeredCoin

Why thank you for the warm welcome! Look forward to meeting some great new collectors!

stevex6 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome!!

cheers.gif

HammeredCoin likes this.
  6. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

Glad to have you on board ! Welcome !
    I was very surprised at the 15 rating as well but its ok, i think it looks wonderful. :)

HammeredCoin likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I have a nice Penny of Longshanks from Lincoln, but I love the Cnut from Stamford by Thurston.

EdwardLongshanks2.jpg

Cnut.jpg

Bing, Topcat7, HammeredCoin and 5 others like this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That Cnut is gorgeous! I need to get one of those guys...

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. HammeredCoin

That is a fabulous cnut specimen! They don't come any better than that really. As for the Edward I you have, that is my area of expertise. Edward I pennies are almond the most difficult hammered coins to date and classify which is why I am so fascinated by them.

Your Edward I penny is of class 3g and minted between 1280-1281. The Lincoln mint was only active during the first major recoinage undertaken by Edward between 1279 and 1281 to replac the voided long cross coinage of his father Henry III. The Lincoln mint was only open from 1280-1281 so the date of minting is easy to ascertain. The "3g " classification is what collectors of these pennies want to know. This classification tells us which style of dies used to produce the coins and serves to further pin down the approximate date of it being minted.

The clues in your specimen to give it the 3g classification is first the style of the crown (this takes a long time to learn) and on the reverse you have what are called "pellet-bar" N's. This and the style of the drapery depicted on the obverse gets us to that class.

Hope that is helpful!

Adam

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. HammeredCoin

Here is an example of a Henry III "voided long cross" penny that I refer to above. The gaps between the cross on the reverse was a guide for the mint to further cut the penny into halves and quarters (farthings) image.jpg image.jpg

sprag, Jwt708, Bing and 3 others like this.
  11. HammeredCoin

I agree, looks great. Fantastic addition!

12. HammeredCoin

Really nice toning and pretty well struck. If it's 1.5 grams that's unusually heavy especially with part of the flan missing.

Jwt708 and Ancientnoob like this.
  13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Since we are the topic of Medieval coins I can't help but to point out the similarity yet lower quality of this Dinero of Jaime the Conquistador.

Crusader Spain
    Kingdom of Aragon
    Spain, Barcelona
    Jaime (James i) AD 1213-1276
    BI Dinero 19 mm x 1.02 grams
    Obverse: Crowned but of James I left, Latin Legend- +BARQVINON/T
    Reverse: Long Cross with alternating pellets and rings. Latin legend - IA CO BR E+
    Ref: Crusfont (1982) 155 Type III
    Note: Rare Condition, Excellent strike. ex. Allen Berman
    JaimeIAragonB.jpg

Jwt708, Bing, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  14. HammeredCoin

Very interesting coin. I have never seen one. Neat that it shares many similarities with the later Edwardian pennies minted from 1279-1340s. It almost look like Edwards moneyer took the design from this...

Jwt708 and Ancientnoob like this.
  15. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I chose my (cut penny of) King John 1199-1216 to post as I love the story of John Vs Richard and the (mythical?) Robin Hood.
    KING JOHN 1199-1216 SILVER CUT HALF PENNY - ABEL ON LVNDE - VF London Mint ab.jpg
    KING JOHN 1199-1216 SILVER CUT HALF PENNY - ABEL ON LVNDE - VF London Mint bb.jpg

Jwt708, Bing, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

My first Medieval coin was a Richard I from Aquitaine (later found out it was Poitou, but that's another story...) for much the same reason - loved the story of Richard, John, and the Robin Hood myths.

Now I know that Robin Hood did exist, it would be mid 13th C. and have nothing to do with John and Richard (at that time, the name 'Robin Hood' was the equivalent of out 'John Doe' - a generic name for an unknown person). I still have a love for the Angevin Kings though, particularly Henry II. Now I just need to get one of his coins... Will probably grab both a Tealby and a short cross coin

Topcat7 likes this.
  17. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

AND of course, Richard, 1157 - 1199 A.D. Rhuddian mint - Wales, Moneyer - Halli. AR20, 1.2 gm.

Magical Snap - 2015.09.01 07.10 - 015b.jpg

Magical Snap - 2015.09.01 07.09 - 014b.jpg

Jwt708, Bing, chrsmat71 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I have two silver pennies, but no cut coins. I posted these last October.

I think the Henry III is pretty nice and doesn't look too worn, damaged or clipped. Any help deciphering the monier and city is welcome. Pretty sure it is LVND for London and maybe "Henri" for the monier?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This Edward I is much more problematic. Fairly heavily clipped and worn. Also cracked nearly half through! When I purchased it, the crack was not disclosed in the description and the online photos only looked like a crease or bend. Also LVND, but I think it is too clipped right where the monier is marked.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rob

stevex6, Bing, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  19. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@rob.
    No cut coins? As M.M. would say, No probs, just get out your sword . . . . . . . .

HammeredCoin likes this.
  20. HammeredCoin

Your Henry III penny is minted in London (LVNDE) by moneyer Henri. Class IIIb minted in 1249.

Your Edward I penny I will take a closer look at tonight. If I had a better picture of the reverse so I can make out the mint, that would be of some use. From what I can tell it reads LON/DON, which is the most common mint. Looks like the fleurs of the crown are trifoliate, which also helps narrow it down, but I will dig deeper.

21. HammeredCoin

Pretty funny Topcat!

Topcat7 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted