Medieval Coin LVDO+XIII+D+G+FR+ET+NA+REX+CHRT

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike1610, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mike1610

Mike1610 New Member

Hello all,
    I was wondering if you could help me out. I recently purchased some coins and I found this medieval coin in a lot at an estate sale. I have done all types of research but I cannot find anything on this exact match. The front face says LVDO+XIII+D+G+FR+ET+NA+REX+CHRT and the back says REGIS SACRA FOEDERA MAGN. I tried to translate the latin in google and this is what I came up with. LVDO 13 FR 500 G and NA KING CHRT
    Sacred King Leagues Great. I have not tested the coin as of yet, but it looks gold. The closet thing online I could find was here:

http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/33085

My coin does have W.L as well on the back of the pedestal but nothing in the front. Also the horse and king look different then the one on the internet and of course the words are different as well, pretty much a whole different coin, but similar looking. I cannot find a good source to see if mine is a replica or geniune. I can't even find real information on when this was made. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Please help.

2012-2013_Tray's Camera 272.jpg 2012-2013_Tray's Camera 273.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is a jetton of Louis XIII of France, not a coin. And it looks to be billon, made of base metal with a small amount of silver combined in the alloy.

4. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

agreed

5. Mike1610

Mike1610 New Member

Yea, That's what I found mostly as well. What I was curious about is that I have not seen one like this recorded. Do you guys know of any other books I could look into. Thanks for everything.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Jetons medalets and tokens - The Low Countries and France (volume two) by Mitchiner

Draft saved Draft deleted